• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Bowls (updated)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

A bowl in a baseball stadium become big. No way.

The Insight Bowl jetted the diamondback's stadium. as soon as it could.

The Emerald bowl is two terrible BCS teams.

The St. Pete bowl might last, but it will never be anything more than a minor game

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

I'm still hoping for the BCS.

Only if ND keeps losing will we have a shot at the Gator.

Weirdly enough, the St. Pete bowl would be the third best alternative for the school, for three reasons (1) payout, (2) low cost to send team and band, and (3), highest probability of a win.

If we don't get the BCS or Gator, I think the school would actually lobby the Meineke to NOT pick us, so we could go to St. Pete.

[table]

[tr][td]Bowl [/td][td]Payout[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]BCS [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Gator Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Sun Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]St. Petersburg Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Meineke Car Care Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]International Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Papajohns.com Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Updated: Meineke is also paying $1m this year

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I really hope the International Bowl either gets relocated elsewhere, or the BE gets it's butt out of there.

I don't see that happening... the Int Bowl is good for the other 5 teams in the BE that are in yankee town... its easier and cheaper for UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, Syrcuse, or Pitt to head to Toronto then to El Paso... sucks for the Southern teams though.

The Sun Bowl is the one that does not make any sense to me... its further from Tampa then Tornoto...

Tampa to Toronto - 1325.4 Miles

Tampa to El Paso - 1686.19 Miles

but you need a passport to comeback from Toronto

• Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

I can view it.

I think there is a mistake tho. We cant go to the Rose Bowl can we? I thought sugar bowl was an option. Isnt Rose Big 10 Pac 10?

I can't view it, but we could go to the rose bowl.  It would be extremely rare, but the rose bowl will take a big 10 and pac 10 team by default--BUT if there is only 1 big 10 and 1 pac 10 in the top 12 and one (or both) is in the NC game, they would have to pick from whoevers left. 

Other comments--BE champ will probably go to whichever BCS bowl has last pick.  I don't know which one it is, but no one likes the big east right now.

The gator bowl affiliation is almost useless to us.  They will ALWAYS take ND if they are available, and if they have to take a BE team, they would take WVU or Louisville if eligible.  I look at the gator bowl and think they have done everything they can contract wise to make it is easy to avoid taking a BE team.  I wonder if they will even renew with the big east. 

The rose bowl would NEVER pick us. If there were absolutely no big 10 or pac 10 teams available (and they proved last year with picking illinois that it would be extreemely hard for that to be the case) theyd find a big 12 or sec team available. No chance they ever take us. Us going to the national championship is more likely than us going to the rose bowl.

• Content Count:  1,241

I'm still hoping for the BCS.

Only if ND keeps losing will we have a shot at the Gator.

Weirdly enough, the St. Pete bowl would be the third best alternative for the school, for three reasons (1) payout, (2) low cost to send team and band, and (3), highest probability of a win.

If we don't get the BCS or Gator, I think the school would actually lobby the Meineke to NOT pick us, so we could go to St. Pete.

[table]

[tr][td]Bowl [/td][td]Payout[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]BCS [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Gator Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Sun Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]St. Petersburg Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Meineke Car Care Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]International Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Papajohns.com Bowl [/td][td]

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

I had no idea the st pete bowl would be paying that much.  I kinda hope we go there now (if its not bcs or gator), on top of the payout, it would be a lot easier for me to go to then any of the others. I love the bulls but i cant afford to leave the state for a bowl game right now.

• Content Count:  2,661

The Muffler Bowl loves Connecticut. Remember 2005, when wouldn't official invite USF until they gave UConn a chance to pull an improbable upset over Louisville? And to be fair, UConn traveled very well to that game.

And the MCCB has got to love West Virginia, with their traveling huge fan base a short drive away.

So I don't think that game is an option unless one or both of those teams is mathematically unable to be invited. And if they are, the MCCB might prefer Louisville or... pewwwww... Pittsburgh.

If we don't win the Big East, Birmingham is our best bowl option. I'm okay with it, since the SEC is providing the opponent (and they will likely have enough bowl-eligible teams to send someone there). I know it's their 10th place team, but this year that could be Tennessee. Or Arkansas. Didn't we have a thread this summer about hoping to get a neutral-site games with a program of that caliber?

The Muffler Bowl loves Connecticut. Remember 2005, when wouldn't official invite USF until they gave UConn a chance to pull an improbable upset over Louisville? And to be fair, UConn traveled very well to that game.

And the MCCB has got to love West Virginia, with their traveling huge fan base a short drive away.

So I don't think that game is an option unless one or both of those teams is mathematically unable to be invited. And if they are, the MCCB might prefer Louisville or... pewwwww... Pittsburgh.

If we don't win the Big East, Birmingham is our best bowl option. I'm okay with it, since the SEC is providing the opponent (and they will likely have enough bowl-eligible teams to send someone there). I know it's their 10th place team, but this year that could be Tennessee. Or Arkansas. Didn't we have a thread this summer about hoping to get a neutral-site games with a program of that caliber?

I hate to disagree with you here Gary... but I think for USF it's either BCS or St. Petersburg,

1) I do not see the SEC sending a team to Birmingham.  That would require two out of Tennessee, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Ole Miss to get to 6 wins.  Mathematically, it's possible.  But realistically, there will only be 9 teams in the SEC at 6-6 or better.

2) MCCB might love U Conn, but they won't take them two years in a row.  WVU and Pitt, however, would probably get the nod over USF.  Louisville will be mathematically ineligible (2-win rule), and considering the Gator Bowl will take Notre Dame, there is a very good change USF will not be playing in Charlotte.

3) So the Big East will want to make sure the debut of the St. Pete Bowl is strong -- and a USF-backed sell-out would do just that.

Here are my bowl projections -- from two perspectives

Optimistic

BCS: South Florida

(Gator: Notre Dame)

MCCB: Pitt-WVU winner

PapaJohns.com: Pitt-WVU loser

International: Connecticut

St. Petersburg: Cincinnati

Realistic

BCS: Pitt-WVU winner

(Gator: Notre Dame)

MCCB: Pitt-WVU loser

PapaJohns.com: Connecticut

International: Cincinnati

St. Petersburg: South Florida

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I'm thinking that the St. Pete Bowl would be a blessing fiscally for USF and reputation wise a big boost for the Big East...

1.) The University would barely spend any money driving the team and band across the bay.

2.) We the fans would also make out like bandits... Think of all the new tailgating crapola we could but and money we could save... also given the price of gas and weak economy one could stay at a high class beach hotel in Pinellas, get great seats, eat out every night, and still not spend the same amount of money that it would take just to go to almost all of the other bowl games.

3.) A USF sell out would boost the Big Easts bowl attendance record, all be it artificially, but none the less down the road should muddy the attendance records enough to possibly trick a Bowl Committee into taking a BE team over another.

4.) It would be against a CUSA team which is easy - cheesy... maybe a rematch against ECU...

I'm Dixie Bull and I approve of this bowl  ;D

• Content Count:  1,260

While I agree with some points about the St. Pete Bowl...we have to be careful here. Let's not overestimate the enthusiasm of our fan base for the bowl "in our backyard". To be in the St. pete Bowl would be a big dissapontment for many...and IMO...an unranked Bulls team vs. a CUSA team does not automatically equal a sellout during the holiday season...

Getting 35-45k diehards over to Pinellas to host UTEP, Tulsa, or Marshall the Saturday before Christmas may be a tall order.... We could do it...but our fans would need some reason to get excited...

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I disapprove of any non-BCS bowl game until such a day comes when we are mathematically eliminated from winning a Big East Championship.

If that day comes, I will speculate about which of the other bowls would be good.

Go Bulls!!  Win out!

Archived