• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Bowls (updated)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Is anyone else having a problem with this page loading?  I'm trying to find the dates of all Big East Bowls this season.

http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19400&KEY=&ATCLID=1178217&SPID=11215&SPSID=94740

USF BOWL POSSIBILITIES:

INTERNATIONAL BOWL, Toronto - Jan. 3, noon, ESPN2

GATOR BOWL, Jacksonville, Fla. - Jan. 1, 1 p.m., CBS

SUN BOWL, El Paso, Texas - Dec. 31, 2 p.m., CBS

PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL, Birmingham, Ala. - Dec. 29, 3 p.m., ESPN

MEINEKE CAR CARE, Charlotte, N.C. - Dec. 27, 1 p.m., ESPN

ST. PETERSBURG BOWL, St. Petersburg, Fla. - Dec. 20, 4:30 p.m., ESPN2

Less likely:

FIESTA BOWL, Glendale, Ariz. - Jan. 5, 8 p.m., Fox

SUGAR BOWL, New Orleans - Jan. 2, 8:30 p.m., Fox

ORANGE BOWL, Miami - Jan. 1, 8 p.m., Fox

ROSE BOWL, Pasadena, Calif. - Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m., ABC

Virtually impossible:

BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, Miami - Jan. 8, 8 p.m., Fox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  760

I can view it.

I think there is a mistake tho. We cant go to the Rose Bowl can we? I thought sugar bowl was an option. Isnt Rose Big 10 Pac 10?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I can view it.

I think there is a mistake tho. We cant go to the Rose Bowl can we? I thought sugar bowl was an option. Isnt Rose Big 10 Pac 10?

As far as I know we can't go to the Rose Bowl... its also missing the St. Pete Bowl...

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I can view it.

I can't view it, but we could go to the rose bowl.  It would be extremely rare, but the rose bowl will take a big 10 and pac 10 team by default--BUT if there is only 1 big 10 and 1 pac 10 in the top 12 and one (or both) is in the NC game, they would have to pick from whoevers left. 

Other comments--BE champ will probably go to whichever BCS bowl has last pick.  I don't know which one it is, but no one likes the big east right now.

The gator bowl affiliation is almost useless to us.  They will ALWAYS take ND if they are available, and if they have to take a BE team, they would take WVU or Louisville if eligible.  I look at the gator bowl and think they have done everything they can contract wise to make it is easy to avoid taking a BE team.  I wonder if they will even renew with the big east. 

• Content Count:  4,642

I can view it.

As far as I know we can't go to the Rose Bowl... its also missing the St. Pete Bowl...

it's because it's a crappy bowl and they don't want to advertise our tie-in

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I look at the gator bowl and think they have done everything they can contract wise to make it is easy to avoid taking a BE team.  I wonder if they will even renew with the big east. 

Yeah we will lose that bowl along with a few others when the bowls are renegotiated unless something is done to beef up the BE.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

I still can't view it for some reason.  Is there anywhere else to get the dates, etc?

THANKS!

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I can view it.

It would never, ever happen, but it is possible for USF to go to the Rose Bowl.

If the Big 10 and/or Pac-10 Champs reach the national championship game, the Rose Bowl has to pick a replacement. Last season and the season before, when Ohio State went to the title game, there was a Big 10 at-large team there (Michigan, Illinois) for the Rose Bowl to choose as replacements. This season, it looks incredibly unlikely that either the Pac-10 champ or Big 10 champ reach the title game, but if they somehow do, there is no way either conference has an at-large team eligible to be taken, so a team from outside those two conferences would be chosen. It's happened before: Texas won the Rose Bowl in 2005 when USC went to the championship game (Texas would win again the next year, when the Rose Bowl served as the title game) and Oklahoma beat Washington State in 2003 when Ohio State was in the title game and the Sooners actually knew how to win bowl games.

That said, even if the above scenario did play out, USF would never, ever, ever be the Rose Bowl's choice as a replacement.

1) Gator Bowl can only take ND once in the four year contract (this is year three)... so they can't ALWAYS take ND.

2) The Orange Bowl has the last choice this year.  The order selection is:

* Bowl which loses it's host conference team as #1 pick

* Bowl which loses it's host conference team as #2 pick

* Fiesta Bowl - At large to face either Big 12 champ or one of the two picks above

* Sugar Bowl - At large to face either SEC champ or one of the two picks above

* Orange Bowl - At large to face either ACC champ or one of the two picks above

The Rose would only pick if the Big 10 or Pac 10 champions were #1 or #2, and would pick ahead of the other bowls.

3) USF will almost never go to the International Bowl.  The St. Pete, International, and PapaJohns.com Bowl all work with the Big East and each other.  Selecting essentially at the same time.

4) The Big East bowls have a 2-conference-win rule.  That is to say a bowl can not select Team A if it has 2-or-FEWER conference wins than Team B.  A 4-3 WVU can not be taken ahead of a 6-1 U Conn.  However, a 4-3 WVU can be taken ahead of a 5-2 U Conn.

For this reason, USF has to either win the Big East through the tie breaker procedure at 5-2 or go 6-1 to guarantee NOT playing in St Petersburg.

Archived