• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Alvarado...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  0

I just hope that Delbert doesn't turn into our own version of "Ray Finkle" when we really need him and the rest of the team can't make up for his mistake. Missing the big field goal and losing by 2 points could bring alot of hatred from the fans towards the coaches and Delbert.  I hope the coaches make the correct decision and do whats best for the team.  Unfortunately the coaches have not been making the best outright decisions so far this season on many other important plays or calls.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I just hope that Delbert doesn't turn into our own version of "Ray Finkle" when we really need him and the rest of the team can't make up for his mistake. Missing the big field goal and losing by 2 points could bring alot of hatred from the fans towards the coaches and Delbert.  I hope the coaches make the correct decision and do whats best for the team.  Unfortunately the coaches have not been making the best outright decisions so far this season on many other important plays or calls.

My thoughts exactly and that could of occurred eventually last week if not for the quick Grothe TD... They need to stick Alvarado on punts and use a kicker for field goals and PAT's.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The good thing about Bonani is unlike a lot of high school kickers he didn't use a block but rather kicked off the ground like hes going to eventually have to do whenever he gets in.   I think CJL showing some indecision publicly about who to put back there has to tell us something about Bonani since CJL isn't a guy to show uncertainty in the media when it comes to position battles.  Again as ive been saying all week give the kid a shot and if he missed a couple attempts its not like Delbert was a lock to make those same attempts anyways.  You never know what you have till you put it out there in a game and give the kid a chance to prove themselves.    

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

He had a nice finish last season but some folks will never forget those 4 misses at Auburn. I'm all for trying to improve all areas of the team and whatever it takes-- just win please.

Last season it seemed when the decision came to a 45 yard field goal, go for it on 4th, or pooch punt the last two options were used a lot more than the FG team after the Auburn game.  It changes your idea of where you can score fron the field.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Per Greg's blog:

-- USF opened practice Wednesday with a head-to-head battle between starting place-kicker Delbert Alvarado and true freshman Maikon Bonani. The two kickers combined to attempt 15 field goals, starting with 20-yarders and backing up beyond the 50. Alvarado has made only one of four attempts this season, including a 42-yard miss with 11 seconds left in regulation in Saturday's overtime win at Central Florida.

It's worth noting that at each distance, Bonani got the first kick. He made two from 20 yards, then was good from the left and right hash at 27 yards, with Alvarado hitting both attempt from 27 as well. Both were good from 37 yards, then Bonani missed wide left from the right hash at 37 yards, then was good on a second attempt; Alvarado was also good from 37.

From 47, Bonani was just wide right, then Alvarado missed wide left. Bonani just went right from the right hash at 47 yards, then was short and right on a 52-yard attempt. So unofficially, I have Bonani going 6-for-10 and Alvarado going 4-for-5. It does not appear that former walk-on Justin Teachey is in the mix for the place-kicking job, though he continues to handle kickoffs for the Bulls.

• Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

I never shout out "You Suck!" if Delbert or any other kicker misses a scoring attempt.  However, a flurry of F-bombs, Mother F-bombs, and a whole host of colorful swear words fly out of my mouth.

I never disparage a player in the heat of the moment.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Again, per Greg's blog

Bulls turn to Bonani at kicker

USF coach Jim Leavitt said Wednesday that true freshman kicker Maikon Bonani will handle field goals for the Bulls in Friday night's game against No. 13 Kansas, replacing junior Delbert Alvarado.

Alvarado has made just one of four attempts in two games and missed a 42-yard attempt with 11 seconds left in regulation in Saturday's overtime win at Central Florida.

"We're going to go with Bonani,'' Leavitt said. "The biggest thing probably is Delbert doing the punting and the kicking. You really don't see many people in the country do all that. He's been punting so well.''

-- Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,691
  • Days Won:  424

The FG he made at Auburn wouldn't have been the biggest in our history had he at least made one of the previous ones.

There are many reasons WHY that was the biggest kick including the missed fg's, the offense's inability to score a td from inside the 10 twice, etc .... Point is it WAS.

Any collegiate kicker can go 2 for 6. I'm glad he made the one that took it into overtime, but you can't say you didn't think he was gonna miss it.

I honestly had no idea if he was going to make it or not .... I was too busy thinking that I was just happy as Hell it was him out there instead of me. The pressure on that kick had to be tremndous...

Archived