• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Term "Bandwagon"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Not all teams have bandwagons.  Duke? Baylor? etc... they have to have "achieve success" and maintain it... (the way I read the definition)

Duke and Baylor arent bringing 50K to home games either.  No one accussed USF of having Bandwagon fans when we were drawing 20K. 

so let me rephrase that.  any team with a LARGE fanbase has had bandwagon fans at one point then

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10

Hmmm interesting this post was started. I was thinking about this as well. I went to undergrad at USF then grad school at UF. I stayed true to USF the entire time I was there. While in Gainesville they won 3 national championships. I remember everyone I met on campus encouraged me to root for the Gators because "I was a Gator now." They didnt care that I was a season ticket holder for the Bulls. I can honestly say that during the three national championships and the two years I spent there I never heard the term "Bandwagon." Not even once. We need to welcome everyone and encourage everyone to get on board.

Once we have a large, stable fan base, you won't hear bandwagon... The term applies when a fan base grows quickly after a team achieves success.

It's also not negative. It's positive.  Every school should WANT to have a bandwagon effect.

You will note the definition does not say these are temporary fans... just late arrivals.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

For all you bandwagoners............deal with it.  Where were you 10 years ago?  Grow some thick skin for Christ's sake.  In a few years it won't be you we are referring to, but until then shut up and take it like a man.  Jeez, what is this world coming to?  Eco Nerd I'm surprised at you.  Normally you bring up valid points, but this one is way off base. 

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Would we call them bandwagon if USF didn't see the success they saw last year but had the same increase in fans? No.

All I am saying is that we used always complain about fans not showing up and now they ARE showing up. We should be encouraging them to stay and/or attend more. Not label them and make them secondary citizens of Bulls Nation just because they didn't attend Homecoming against Army or weren't around 10 years ago.

It wasn't just the 30,000 fans at the WV game making noise. It was everyone that has been around for 10 years as well as the newest fans making noise.

I don't want to place people into little groups. If you are a FAN you are a FAN. And that is all I need to know.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I am not saying this is a problem. I just don't want it to become a problem. I want every bulls fan new and old to feel at home.

• Content Count:  134

By these definitions, I would be considered a bandwagoner.  Honestly, 3 years ago, I had no idea you fellas had a program.  Then poof!  you guys were on our schedule and was like hmmm... what do these guys do.  So I did some research and you guys kinda grew on me.  I don't have any Bulls gear, never been to the campus, never been to a game.  But I guarantee you i am the loudest one in my pasture up here in Alabama screaming at the TV when

1.) Grothe personally ripped my heart out last year in the OT at Auburn and

2.) When the Bulls beat WVU.

So yeah, I'm cool with calling me a bandwagon fan and such, but as time goes on, there will be a stronger fan base and more people won't be called bandwagon fans.

Which brings me to another question, for some of the newer fans, at what point did you start pulling for your team?  

I became a true Auburn fan when I was watching Lawyer Tillman do a reverse in the 1986 Iron Bowl.

What was "Your moment"?

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

For me, the moment was the instant I decided to go to school at USF. Although I didn't finish my education there, I will always bleed green and gold

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

I think the Bandwagon term is relevant...a number of USF fans would fit the definition of "bandwagon". I agree that if you remain a fan that's awesome and you do loose the "bandwagon" stigma, but you're usually only insulted by being called bandwagon if you fit the negative definition of one. If you don't, it's pretty easy to turn a deaf ear to it cause you know it's not true.

True bandwagon fans drive me nuts but I choose to look at it this way...you get out what you put in and those who've been around longer get more out of every big moment good or bad.

Also, you're always going to have new students that are being introduced to the team for the first time...they don't quite fit the traditional bandwagon definition. Would you have called me a bandwagoner in 2003 cause it was when I transferred and was really introduced to USF football?

AUFan: great question!

I wouldn't say I had "one moment", that whole first season as a student ('03) got me hooked. I have my bro and some of our friends to thank. They got me pumped for my first season and the Bulls have yet to disappoint. As the years have gone by my love for the team has grown.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Only time will tell whether the new fans are bandwagon or not.

Archived