• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ upton benched again for not hustling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

Hits in to a double play while jogging down the line.  Maddon put in Ruggiano for the rest of the game.

Good stance by maddon.  Even with all these injuries bj needs to sit on the bench for a few games for this crap.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  883

Upton's approach to the game is so lackadaisical.  I've seen what I would call an "attitude problem" with him from early on in the season.  Many times I thought he looked like he wasn't going full speed and didn't care.  He'll make the most incredible defensive plays in the outfield and then turn around and have a very uninspiring AB or not run full speed to 1st. 

As much as I respect his talent, I think he's the type of guy (I know most are) that is all about the money and he will be gone to the yankees or someone like that as soon as he can.  I don't see loyalty or wanting to be part of history as things that would be important to him.  I hope not, but I just think that's what we're gonna see.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

Upton's approach to the game is so lackadaisical.  I've seen what I would call an "attitude problem" with him from early on in the season.  Many times I thought he looked like he wasn't going full speed and didn't care.  He'll make the most incredible defensive plays in the outfield and then turn around and have a very uninspiring AB or not run full speed to 1st. 

As much as I respect his talent, I think he's the type of guy (I know most are) that is all about the money and he will be gone to the yankees or someone like that as soon as he can.  I don't see loyalty or wanting to be part of history as things that would be important to him.  I hope not, but I just think that's what we're gonna see.

Funny thing is he was interviewed by Kalas following a game a couple of weeks ago and he sounded great, not at all like the impression I get from watching him sometimes..... but this lackadaisical crap has got to stop. Other guys like Rocco are out there busting their asses to keep this team where it is and there's no place for an attitude like BJ's ... even though some of it is that he makes things look easy because of his athleticism but there is never a reason to not hustle.

What's refreshing is the way Aki handled the same thing early in the year. Haven't had a problme since with him ...

• Content Count:  4,016

Funny thing is he was interviewed by Kalas following a game a couple of weeks ago and he sounded great, not at all like the impression I get from watching him sometimes..... but this lackadaisical crap has got to stop. Other guys like Rocco are out there busting their asses to keep this team where it is and there's no place for an attitude like BJ's ... even though some of it is that he makes things look easy because of his athleticism but there is never a reason to not hustle.

What's refreshing is the way Aki handled the same thing early in the year. Haven't had a problme since with him ...

It isn't about 'making things look easy' when you don't even run out a double play twice in two weeks.  The fact is BJ is the only young gun on this roster that has refused to sign a long-term deal with the Rays.  He's the only hold-out, and I believe he was a malcontent in cohoots with his bro Delmon Young, both were around when our scouting at times was spotty.  I think the Rays are waiting for the off-season to unload his butt quick and furiously.  Even his production, what's left of it, is utterly useless to this team.  We don't need a three hitter that slaps singles, and barely runs out ground balls.  Dude probably won't even hit 10 homers, or have 5 triples, or have 40 doubles this season....that is WORTHLESS as a 3 hitter.  That's an 8 or 9 spot, or lead-off since he's stolen 38 bases, but the problem is we have better lead-off guys in Crawford and AKi.  I am sure they're praying BJ doesn't f-things up this season, stays focused, and they'll dump him this off-season for a solid outfielder and more prospects.

• Content Count:  509

Everybody now.....That's just BJ being BJ.

BJ doesn't care about the Tampa Bay Rays.  BJ cares about BJ.  BJ wants the huge contract and he knows he's not going to get that playing here.  Hopefully as these games mean more and more down the stretch BJ will stop dogging it and run out every play so we can get the most out of it when he gets traded.  Perhaps BJ is still sore about not playing shortstop.

Offseason trade:  BJ Upton, Scott Kazmir, Jeff Niemann, and Ried Brignac for Tim Lincecum and Josh Hamilton.  Three team blockbuster deal!

Everybody now.....That's just BJ being BJ.

BJ doesn't care about the Tampa Bay Rays.  BJ cares about BJ.  BJ wants the huge contract and he knows he's not going to get that playing here.  Hopefully as these games mean more and more down the stretch BJ will stop dogging it and run out every play so we can get the most out of it when he gets traded.  Perhaps BJ is still sore about not playing shortstop.

Offseason trade:  BJ Upton, Scott Kazmir, Jeff Niemann, and Ried Brignac for Tim Lincecum and Josh Hamilton.  Three team blockbuster deal!

You didn't just say kazmir did you?

Uh oh, now all the kazmir-lovers are gonna jump all over you for even thinking of trading him.

"We can't trade kazmir, he's our ace and one of the best pitchers in the game!" ::)

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have a strange gut feeling about Hamilton.  Things have been a whirlwind for him, and I expect him at some point to crash, and crash hard.  I hope not, but it would fit the pattern.  There almost have to be some bumps in the road in his future.

And Linececum will blow his arm out sooner or later.

• Content Count:  12,293

BJ is a young kid with a lot of talent.  He will be fine.  This kind of thing happens all over baseball.  Its just that Joe Maddon is one of the few managers that inforce it.  Hanley for the Marlins does it all the time but never gets benched.  same thing with adam jones for baltimore.

ive seen both those players dog in on the basepaths before and nothing gets said.

• Content Count:  4,016

BJ is a young kid with a lot of talent.  He will be fine.  This kind of thing happens all over baseball.  Its just that Joe Maddon is one of the few managers that inforce it.  Hanley for the Marlins does it all the time but never gets benched.  same thing with adam jones for baltimore.

ive seen both those players dog in on the basepaths before and nothing gets said.

BJ will be fine on another team.  Keep in mind he's up for contract after the 2011 season, and he's due for arbitration after next season.  Given his time in service with the Rays, they would be crazy to not trade him this off-season.  Why take the risk you get another year of .270 BA, with 10 HR, 3-5 triples, 28 doubles, and 40 steals at the #3 spot, what a waste of space. 

The fact is the Rays worked BJ pretty hard back in the day from a contractual standpoint waiting forever to call him up.  So now BJ is making $400k/annually while Crawford, Baldelli, Floyd, and Longoria are all making millions.  BJ has refused signing a fatter contract that would obligate him to the Rays well past the 2011 season.  Sure as I am sitting here he will pound the Rays after next season in arbitration for screwing him when he was a minor leaguer keeping him down forever, and then trying to keep him a Ray with a longer deal.

So if you're the Rays why keep him after this season?  You risk him coasting through another season and putting up numbers that are reminiscent of a 7-9 hitter, or lead-off hitter, and then watching him pound them in arbitration in the off-season BUT not sign a longer term contract.  Trade him now, get some value, move his malcontent ass on it's way and the team will be fine especially if you can get some solid skill players in return.

Archived