• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Versions of the truth?....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Actually, he made NO missteps in his early description.  Don't blame GO because you don't understand what he meant by "taxing".  What GO thinks is taxing is probably quite different than internet-boy haS.been thinks is tasking.  You run down the driveway and you come back panting; that's taxing.  To YOU!

I'm pretty sure that GOL would find running down the driveway taxing, too ...... probably finds tying his shoe laces taxing, as well.

They fabricated a story where there was none.

Which part of the story did they fabricrate?

The only way UCF looks bad is if you are looking through heifer eyes.

Plancher's family are heifers?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  709
  • Days Won:  0

Actually, he made NO missteps in his early description.  Don't blame GO because you don't understand what he meant by "taxing".  What GO thinks is taxing is probably quite different than internet-boy haS.been thinks is tasking.  You run down the driveway and you come back panting; that's taxing.  To YOU!

I'm pretty sure that GOL would find running down the driveway taxing, too ...... probably finds tying his shoe laces taxing, as well.

Good gosh.  I could try to explain it to you but I will provide the information directly from Coach.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/ucf/orl-oleary2708jul27,0,7835838.story

Its really not that hard.  Again, heifers have a hard time understanding.....

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Good gosh.  I could try to explain it to you but I will provide the information directly from Coach.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/ucf/orl-oleary2708jul27,0,7835838.story

Wow you must have reading comprehension issues.  That PR piece explains very little.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Good gosh. Nowhere in that article did he say they fabricated anything .... and besides, I was looking for a little more credible source than the one you provided.

• Content Count:  2,239

Fabricated, I don't think so.

Sensationalized, very much so.  What did Steven Moffett have to do with Plancher's death.  A story was written and it took the very end to try and tie them together when no relation existed.  Plancher and Moffett never played at the same time.

• Content Count:  4,016

I love how UCF'ers provide a link and presume that answers the story or corroborates their point.  Just because UCF fans have conveniently 'filled in the gaps' for GOL, doesn't mean his "My Side of the Story" article provides anything.

In that article GOL refuted two points....one that the drills technically speaking were not 'mat drills', and two the timing about the funeral expenses.  Who cares, they were taxing, were they not?  Players have told the papers they felt they were taxing...but that's beyond the point.  If GOL, and his skinny, svelt, great conditioned self thought that workout was 'non-taxing' (how in the world that over-weight, aged, crumudgeon can tell what is 'taxing' and 'non-taxing' is beyond me- from his appearance most assume the way he differentiate's between 'taxing' and 'non-taxing' is whether Krispee Kreme's drive-thru is open or closed), then that only compounds the situation.  So it was a non-taxing situation BUT EP was struggling through it.  Shouldn't that be MORE suspicious?  Then O'leary was 'brilliant' enough to recall 'more' to his original story of that fateful day once the players came forward.  Before he saw nothing abnormal, nothing wrong, and it was a 'non-taxing' workout.  Then once UCF admitted it wasn't just a 10 minute light jog, and the Sentinel had players coming forward to give a more accurate account of the day, suddenly O'Liar recalled that he did see Plancher struggle, and commented on it at two occasions during the workout.  If it was non-taxing, and only one guy puked (and he always pukes as O'Liar so eloquently told the Sentinel), wouldn't the fact EP was struggling raise a red flag with someone, ANYONE...especially since he had SCT and UCF knew about it.  What's even sadder, and another reason your SID needs to be fired immediately, is after the players came forward and O'Liar suddenly 'recalled' more parts of the workout, admitting that EP struggled through the workout and he did single him out...then UCF let's Tim Salem tell the media he 'didn't see EP struggling at all, in fact he was passing players and looked good'....apparently Tim didn't get the memo to either stop talking to the media, or the spin had changed.

Show me where the Sentinel fabricated a story Mav?  Show me?  When push came to shove, and the Sentinel put him on the spot to give 'His side of the story' your own coach couldn't even come up with legit claims of fabrication.  Instead his only two points of contention were the reference to the drills as 'mat drills' which is purely a semantical argument, they were still conditioning drills and a player died from them, so if you want to call them 'pillow drills' for his personal satisfaction it still doesn't lessen the exertion putforth by the players.  His second point of contention was the Sentinel didn't give UCF time to handle the funeral arrangements and went with the article with UCF asked them to wait.  A bit of sensationalism at that point I'd admit, but he's also admitting that UCF didn't quite handle that right at the time either.  It also didn't lessen the fact that days after the funeral the family had still not seen a dollar from UCF and were in a compromising situation. 

Again, I ask one UCF fan to show me evidence of a fabrication?  Because they haven't named the anonymous players you assume that's fabrication.  Just wait, the court case will bring their names to the forefront and you ignorant knights that assume dozens of reporters would fabricate that because it fits your spin will look stupid yet again.

All I ask is evidence of the fabrication.  Because if you put aside the petty dispute with the Sentinel the points of contention I've made now and in previous threads and posts still apply.  UCF still knew about EP's condition, players and coaches still witnessed him struggle through the workouts and by most public accounts did not handle it according to NATA and NCAA standards on handling SCT players....they had numerous misquotes, and mis-leading statements throughout the process.  That is not fabricated at all.  It's out there for all to see.

BTW DP, there was some level of sensationalizing going on...the funeral expense thing, and Steven Moffett thing were a bit much, but you have to understand the newspaper is trying to create a story line, frame the situation properly.  If their readers all thought O'Leary was loved by everyone, the perfect coach, and all his workouts were 'non-taxing' that would also be mis-leading, which is the way O'Leary was angling himself early on too...so you could say he was pandering to the cameras or attention too.  The Moffett article was simply trying to bring more credence to the story...it is unfortunate to me because it does undermine and cause undo tension on a team for no reason to do an article like that, but I do understand the Sentinel's reasoning.  It wasn't sensationalizing, they were trying to paint a picture, but perhaps went a bit over the top in doing so.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

hasnt family sued ftu/ou./oc yet?

• Content Count:  573

How is O'Leary at any more fault than any other coach that has had a player die on his watch of the same type?  He isn't.  Maybe is not as cuddly as Bowden or as Cunning as Meyer....but there's no difference.  GOL didn't treat Plancher any differently than any other player.

I do think that it should have and could have been avoided in some way.  But I couldn't tell you how.

O'Liar is probably at no more fault than any other coach that has had a player die on his watch, however, that is not the burden of proof in a court of law.

The Planchers' attorneys will, of course, attack his integrity.

O'Liar has proven to be an ultra agressive and deceptive coach.  So attorneys will attack him like a heart.  I think that UCiF settles for a pretty penny to avoid the shennanigans. 

Thats what UCF gets for hiring a guy with a cloud over his head.  They say we recruit kids with clouds over their heads but at least our coach is legitimate.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Did I miss the part of the GOL letter/column that said the 4 players who allegedly spoke to the OS were made up?  I mean GOL can be pretty blunt at times (old school curmudgeonly ways is what endears him to the Knight faithful) so why wouldn't he address that?  I keep seeing UCF people talking about falsification/fabrication/made up stories, and yet the guy who would know does not even dispute that 4 guys went to the OS?  Odd.

• Content Count:  711

How is O'Leary at any more fault than any other coach that has had a player die on his watch of the same type?  He isn't.  Maybe is not as cuddly as Bowden or as Cunning as Meyer....but there's no difference.  GOL didn't treat Plancher any differently than any other player.

I do think that it should have and could have been avoided in some way.  But I couldn't tell you how.

We don't know if O'Leary is more at fault.  It may be that everyone did exactly as they were supposed to, O'Leary included. 

It may be that O'Leary ran off the trainers, or wouldn't let them treat Plancher.

It may be that O'Leary has intimidated the training staff in the past, and for that reason they didn't intervene until it was to late.

It may be that no one on the coaching or training staff were told he carried the trait, or were not told the warning signs to look out for and what actions to take.

It may be that other coaches and/or trainers weren't doing their job.

The attorneys for the family are attempting to get those questions answered.

Precisely.  And why do UCF'ers always presume it comes down to the world v. O'Leary.  This might have been a case where doctors failed to properly notify UCF's training staff and coaches of EP's condition or failed to explain how to do deal with it if they did tell them.  It's still ultimately culpability to UCF, and some extreme changes would need to come about at UCF, but it's not all about O'Leary.  O'Leary has become the focal point because of his brash attempt to challenge the newspaper, and because he clearly made some serious missteps in his early depictions of the events, for whatever reason he omitted, or lightened the details somewhat.  It probably wasn't intentional, but given the fact UCF really bumbled along in the first two weeks, almost making it impossible for the Sentinel to not vigorously investigate, with mis-quotes, misleading statements, inaccurate depictions of the workout, stand-offish attitudes, and generally not open and informative. 

Again, I contend that Hitt and Tribble look more inept not making a few wholesale changes in USAA to at least the SID, and AD in charge of football.  They clearly mishandled this from the beginning and it made UCF look even worse then any issues dealing with the workout, like they were hiding something.   At this point it's like sticking up the finger to everyone even when you know people on your side are wrong.  Not a good move, or sign.

Then why aren't they questioning the other coaches?  That's my question?  You seem to ask....where was who when it happend?  Why did he not do this or do that?  Those same questions could be asked of all the coaches, including your own.

O'Leary did talk to the Sentinel and the Sentinel decided to run their own story.  Even Jerry Greene said so on his radio show with Mike Bianchi....the sentinel wanted to post their own agenda and fabricated their own story to sell papers.

Archived