• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ryne Giddens

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

that could be what he's afriad of. If he goes to Florida he will be almost surely be developed into an NFL caliber end. If he chooses USF it's a possibility but more of a risk.

USF developed a 2-star center into a first round draft pick DE.  I'd say that's pretty good.  If Giddens goes to UF, he will probably sit for a few years.  If he stays home, he can compete for a starting job right away with the probable loss of Buie and Selvie.

This is exactly what Giddens and Pierre-Paul should be thinking if USF is one of the schools they would like to attend. Selvie has shown that the talent can be developed, get noticed by the college football community, and get hype and support from a large city like Tampa. With upper-classmen on the ends, USF should be a prime target for elite players like them.

yea we lost the coach that helped selvie so much. And I don't think these two seasons prove we develop players when Florida is winning and getting to NC's.

You are either a true UF fan who also follows the Bulls and has issues with USF keeping a blue-chip recruit from UF or you are way too bitter over the outcome of the season having posted unfounded statements like that about your own team. Either way, that statement is Ludicrous. UF's roster is entirely blue-chip recruits so to use their record vs ours as proof that we don't develop players is irrational when we are only just recently getting more elite talent. Also, Miami and FSU have been having poor seasons relative to their recruiting classes so would you say they have not been developing players even though they have still been sending players to the NFL? Only if we had been pulling in classes like UF and sending fewer players to the NFL could you compare us to them and say we have not been developing players. As for McCarney, he was here for ONE season and to point to him as the one person who magically "developed" Selvie in that time period is equally irrational.

The bottom line is still Selvie has shown that the talent can be developed, get noticed by the college football community, and get hype and support from a large city like Tampa. With upper-classmen on the ends, USF should be a prime target for elite players like Giddens and Pierre-Paul.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,894

lol at you.

Selvie stated the importance of McCarney in interviews, and the rest of the line. Get real. You be the judge on how much difference a year makes on our defensive line.

Why wouldnt I want this kid to come to USF?, Unfounded would be you telling me I'm a UF fan. I played baseball for usf and bleed this university. Stop being so unrealistic. We go through this all the time. UF is UF!!!! The talent is better, leadership is better, coaches are better. The percentage of getting better at that school, IM NO GENUIS BY THE WAY, but seems like a high percentage than at usf. Thats what I'm saying. Look at the comparison I made bozo! Florida is winning, and going to NC's....If your this kid and say wow they developed Selvie..great...thats good...or go to UF...who is going to their second NC in several years. He will choose usf because it is close to his home and he wants to play for us to make us better. He won't be choosing us because we developed Selvie.

I agree we should be a prime place for these type of guys because of Selvie and Jenkins, I said that in another post...

Tradition obviously trumps a few draft picks.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

On top of that UF had a higher draft pick than Jenkins, and could possible have higher pick than Selvie, if he decides to leave.

Leavitt's still pitching the you could carve your own path line, rather than walking onto a championship roster.  It's a tough sell.  I hope it works.

• Content Count:  573

lol at you.

Selvie stated the importance of McCarney in interviews, and the rest of the line. Get real. You be the judge on how much difference a year makes on our defensive line.

Why wouldnt I want this kid to come to USF?, Unfounded would be you telling me I'm a UF fan. I played baseball for usf and bleed this university. Stop being so unrealistic. We go through this all the time. UF is UF!!!! The talent is better, leadership is better, coaches are better. The percentage of getting better at that school, IM NO GENUIS BY THE WAY, but seems like a high percentage than at usf. Thats what I'm saying. Look at the comparison I made bozo! Florida is winning, and going to NC's....If your this kid and say wow they developed Selvie..great...thats good...or go to UF...who is going to their second NC in several years. He will choose usf because it is close to his home and he wants to play for us to make us better. He won't be choosing us because we developed Selvie.

I agree we should be a prime place for these type of guys because of Selvie and Jenkins, I said that in another post...

Hold on a now.  I NEVER said you were a UF fan...obviously your name is Bullsontherise for a reason, lol. 

Selvie is as humble an athlete as i've ever seen and of course he's going to speak graciously about McCarney... that doesn't prove that he wouldn't have had the same exact season with McCarney coaching him this year.  Your statement has no way to be proven.

Bow your right that most kids would go to tradition rich and winning programs however Giddens is a little bit different.  He's a hometown boy that has shown a real interest in USF and staying home.  Thats obvious cuz we beat out USC for his final 2.  We may or may not get Giddins but to doubt that USF has progressed is crazy.  Remember Torrey Davis out of Armwood?  USF never had a chance.  What a difference a couple of years makes huh?

• Content Count:  1,894

no doubt we have progressed and I like the steps we have taken. I just think kids outside of the staying home factor want to go somewhere where more than two kids are recently top picks and go to the traditional florida schools who send kids to the nfl even with crappy seasons. Thats all Im saying. Esp with Florida's success of late. I'm also saying that he has a better shot at being developed at these other schools than at usf because of better coaching. (at the skill positions) We are getting there and I'm glad this kid is so close to coming to usf.

I will not be shocked, or even surprised, if Giddens goes gators...  but I will be VERY dissapointed.  Some people want to compare him to Tommy Streeter from last year but its really no comparison.  Giddens is a homegrown mamas boys, Tommy was miami all the way. 

Giddens decision will be the measuring stick for how far the program has come.  If he signs at USF, we instantly become a contender... if he doesn't then we're just a pretender.

I don't care how many 5 star jucos sign with us... we need to start signing national recruits, especially in our backyard.

• Content Count:  919

I will not be shocked, or even surprised, if Giddens goes gators...  but I will be VERY dissapointed.  Some people want to compare him to Tommy Streeter from last year but its really no comparison.  Giddens is a homegrown mamas boys, Tommy was miami all the way. 

Giddens decision will be the measuring stick for how far the program has come.  If he signs at USF, we instantly become a contender... if he doesn't then we're just a pretender.

I don't care how many 5 star jucos sign with us... we need to start signing national recruits, especially in our backyard.

I tend to agree with you.  We need this one.  I'm not sure his signing instantly makes us a contender, but we do have to start keeping the local talent in Tampa.

How big for USF will it be to see him choose the USF hat over the Gators on January 3? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

So what does UF's DE's look like for 2009?

I tend to agree with you.  We need this one.  I'm not sure his signing instantly makes us a contender, but we do have to start keeping the local talent in Tampa.

How big for USF will it be to see him choose the USF hat over the Gators on January 3? 

I meant a contender in the recruiting world.  Signing him makes us for real. 

He would be BY FAR the biggest H.S. recruit we've ever signed.  Thats how big it would be for us.

So what does UF's DE's look like for 2009?

DE

94 Justin Trattou (So., 6-3, 265)

8 Carlos Dunlap (So., 6-6, 290)

91 Earl Okine (Fr., 6-7, 270)

49 Jermaine Cunningham (Jr., 6-3, 250)

44 Duke Lemmens (So., 6-4, 260)

96 William Green (Fr., 6-4, 215)

Don't forget Torrey Davis.

Archived