• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Eugene Smith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Inivited to the ELite 11 QB camp which "provides the nation's top high school quarterbacks with high-level instruction by the best in the business, making it the nation's premier quarterback camp for prep athletes."  He's the only QB on the Bulls board right now.

Eugene Smith, 6-3, 182 lbs., Miramar (Fla.)

Tom Hauck for ESPN.com

One of the top natural passers ever to emerge from talent-rich South Florida. A true pocket passer with a strong and accurate arm. Earned second team all-state honors and Broward County Offensive Player of the Year honors last fall despite missing three games. Impressed at both the Gainesville and Miami NIKE Camps in April, taking home camp QB MVP honors in South Florida and matching Murray throw-for-throw in Gainesville. Was an honorable mention all-county pick as a sophomore, throwing for 1,108 yards and totaling 11 TDs while splitting time, and was very impressive as a underclassman at the '07 Miami Nike Camp. Is the 15th Florida QB to make the Elite 11 in its 10 years, and the first ever out of Broward County. Strongly considering Boston College, South Florida, Florida State, LSU and Louisville out of more than 30 offers.

2007 Stats: Passed for 2,222 yards and 25 TDs with just three interceptions while rushing for seven more scores in just seven full games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3490003

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

He looks like he needs to work on gaining more muscle, arm strength and looking off the defenders. But over all his numbers are impressive and he looks ok.

• Content Count:  51

We win the games we are supposed to win (which is about all of them  ;D) we will make his school of choice that much easier to decide. And if and when he does committ he will bring about 2-3 additional guys with him. Because he has quite a following.

• Content Count:  4,016

He looks like he needs to work on gaining more muscle, arm strength and looking off the defenders. But over all his numbers are impressive and he looks ok.

He's slightly better then "OK" since he's a four star recruit and attending the Elite 11 camp.  That's a camp for the ultra-elite QB prospects.  Eugene is the 25th ranked player in the state and 2nd best QB in the state.  He's an absolute stud as QB prospects go, I mean 25 TD passes to 3 INT's should say it all about his ability.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He's impressing among the best.

July 22, 2008

Barry Every

Recruiting Analyst

Elite 11 Day One: Barry Every's Top Six

Eugene Smith, 6-3, 182, DQB, Miramar (FL) Miramar

Assets: He has a very quick release and real zip on his short and intermediate passes.

What was most impressive on Monday: Has really improved on his accuracy from his previous two camps at Miami and Gainesville.

On the Hoof: Smith is the leanest of all the competitors. His body is built like a basketball shooting guard, similar to that of A.D. McPherson out of high school.

Conclusion: Currently the only uncommitted quarterback competing at the Elite11. Since he is one of the few top-rated quarterbacks yet to make up his mind, I expect his recruiting to really become a heated battle.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829201

• Content Count:  622

Smith had another very good day:

Group 3 was regarded by many as the best of the day. The group was led by Eugene Smith. The lanky quarterback has been a mystery of sorts. He's the quietest kid in the camp, keeps to himself and you wonder what he's thinking on the field.

Then the drill kicks off and he makes the right read and a great throw every time. He's a very cerebral player and really understands the game. While for some of the quarterbacks, everything looks sped up, the game comes easy for Smith. He's able to slow things down and has been accurate. His arm has been strong two days straight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3501418

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Man I hope this kid comes to USF.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm excited we're in the running.  I have a feeling our chances are contingent on how the season goes.  If we get to the top 5 again I think we'll have a 50:50 shot at getting him.

• Content Count:  111

A little while ago he put out a top 5 (which he quickly rescinded) and we were not on it. FSU & LSU both made the list. Obviously he opened it back up because there were some other schools he was really interested in and we seem to be one of them. But even though I would love to have him in the end of the day I don't think he'll end up a bull.

Let's hope I'm wrong!  ;)

A little while ago he put out a top 5 (which he quickly rescinded) and we were not on it. FSU & LSU both made the list. Obviously he opened it back up because there were some other schools he was really interested in and we seem to be one of them. But even though I would love to have him in the end of the day I don't think he'll end up a bull.

Let's hope I'm wrong!  ;)

Well, I also saw a supposed top five list he had back in June with USF included:

• Miramar's Eugene Smith, South Florida's top quarterback prospect, said he is considering five schools -- FSU, USF, LSU, Louisville and Michigan. UM, deep in young QBs, hasn't offered, and though the Gators offered, ``They've recruited other quarterbacks, and I don't want to be set back.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/620/story/565473.html

Archived