• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib's Joey Johnston: USF in the St. Pete Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Good points Jim, and another thing to remember NBC owns the rights to the Gator Bowl, so if ND is available with 8 wins it will be hard for them to pass up the Irish since they cover all of their home games.  St. Pete Bowl would be a major disappointment in my estimation for this season.  Lets hope we don't end up in Pinellas County.

Just an FYI, but starting last season, the Gator Bowl is broadcast by CBS and not NBC like in seasons past.

You're right.  I thought they might have changed it, but wasn't positive.  Regardless ND will still be tough to pass on if they have enough wins.  The last times the Irish played in Jacksonville were in 1999 and 2001 (GT and NC State) I believe.  So it has been a while.  I was actually at that GT game.  Pretty good game with both teams going up and down the field at will, something like 35-28 score.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea i wish the big east bowls either pined us against other BCS teams or ONLY non-bcs conference winners

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

If we go 6-1 in conference play, and take care of business in our OOC games, then we wind up in a BCS Bowl game.  There is NO WAY we go 11-1 and NOT make it!!!!!  Screw the Coaches Poll!!  The computers will have us up so high at 11-1 that the Coaches won't have **** to say about us.  I'll even PICK the BCS Bowl game:  Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma.

I actually predict that we send two teams BCS Bowling this season, assuming WVU doesn't fall off the face of the earth.  Let St. Pete take a northern team, it isnt like the St. Pete Bowl will be around long anyway. 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If we go 6-1 in conference play, and take care of business in our OOC games, then we wind up in a BCS Bowl game.  There is NO WAY we go 11-1 and NOT make it!!!!!  Screw the Coaches Poll!!  The computers will have us up so high at 11-1 that the Coaches won't have **** to say about us.  I'll even PICK the BCS Bowl game:  Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma.

I actually predict that we send two teams BCS Bowling this season, assuming WVU doesn't fall off the face of the earth.  Let St. Pete take a northern team, it isnt like the St. Pete Bowl will be around long anyway. 

I agree.  If we aren't good enough to go to a BCS game this year then we deserve the St. Pete Bowl anyway.  Besides, with the way we have traveled to bowl games so far the St.Pete Bowl is probably the best available scenario for us. 

I am not as sold on a WVU team, that lost 2 games last year and has so much to replace going into the season, as such easy locks on the BE championship.

• Content Count:  4,210

There is no way a 6-1 USF in BE play, goes to St pete bowl.  Gauranteed.  Think about it.  USF would be 11-1, or 10-2 minimum.  That would equate to a top 15 final ranking, probably top 10.  There is less than a .000001 chance of going to St pete under that scenario, as a top 10-12 team.  On the other hand a 9-3/8-4ish type team on the fringes of the the top 25 could very well get sent to St Pete.  But that would probably be another 4-3 type BE team. 

• Content Count:  1,471
  • Days Won:  0

Gator Bowl and BCS aside... I would much rather play in the St. Pete Bowl than any of the others. It would be like one more rowdy home game!

There is no way a 6-1 USF in BE play, goes to St pete bowl.  Gauranteed.  Think about it.  USF would be 11-1, or 10-2 minimum.  That would equate to a top 15 final ranking, probably top 10.  There is less than a .000001 chance of going to St pete under that scenario, as a top 10-12 team.  On the other hand a 9-3/8-4ish type team on the fringes of the the top 25 could very well get sent to St Pete.  But that would probably be another 4-3 type BE team. 

Actually, I would put our chances at 11-1 and in St Pete somewhere around 25 - 33%.

It's complicated, to be sure... but if USF doesn't win the Big East and Notre Dame gets the Gator Bowl... then you're looking at Charlotte at best.  Now, let's say Pitt or Cincy was 5-2 and a Top 20 program.

Does MCCB take 11-1 USF or 10-2 Pitt or Cincinnati??

I could easily see them taking Pittsburgh or Cincinnati (closer, probably sell more tickets and bring more fans).

Now if the 5-2 team is U conn, then USF goes to Charlotte... or if the 3rd place Big East team is 4-3 in conference.

The only other possibility for 11-1 USF would be hoping to get an at-large BCS slot.  To get that, I expect WVU would have to go to the national championship game.  Then we would need to make sure no non-BCS team gets a slot (such as BYU or Fresno St).  In this case, there will be four BCS at-large teams, one from four of the BCS conferences.  The SEC would surely get one, likely the Florida-Georgia loser.  The Big 10 could get one, as both OSU and Wisconsin look good enough.  The Big 12 will also probably get one, with Oklahoma and Missouri looking strong.  That leaves one spot for the Pac 10, ACC, and Big East.

So, no matter how much it hurts to think about... USF could very easily go 11-1... be in the Top 12, and still play in St. Pete.

• Content Count:  6,348

Actually, I would put our chances at 11-1 and in St Pete somewhere around 25 - 33%.

It's complicated, to be sure... but if USF doesn't win the Big East and Notre Dame gets the Gator Bowl... then you're looking at Charlotte at best.  Now, let's say Pitt or Cincy was 5-2 and a Top 20 program.

Does MCCB take 11-1 USF or 10-2 Pitt or Cincinnati??

I could easily see them taking Pittsburgh or Cincinnati (closer, probably sell more tickets and bring more fans).

Now if the 5-2 team is U conn, then USF goes to Charlotte... or if the 3rd place Big East team is 4-3 in conference.

The only other possibility for 11-1 USF would be hoping to get an at-large BCS slot.  To get that, I expect WVU would have to go to the national championship game.  Then we would need to make sure no non-BCS team gets a slot (such as BYU or Fresno St).  In this case, there will be four BCS at-large teams, one from four of the BCS conferences.  The SEC would surely get one, likely the Florida-Georgia loser.  The Big 10 could get one, as both OSU and Wisconsin look good enough.  The Big 12 will also probably get one, with Oklahoma and Missouri looking strong.  That leaves one spot for the Pac 10, ACC, and Big East.

So, no matter how much it hurts to think about... USF could very easily go 11-1... be in the Top 12, and still play in St. Pete.

If that ends up being the case then shame on the BE and they will be embarrassed and deservedly so.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

The Pac-10 has only ONE BCS worthy team and that is USC.... the ACC has ONE worthy team and that is Clemson.  Va Tech won't see the BCS this season.

And you know what.....  I actually dont see West Virginia going 12-0 or even 11-1 for that matter.  Their defense is going to suffer!  And I dont see Divine being an every down back, and we all know about their lack of a passing game.  I actually have them losing to Auburn.  And Colorado isnt a team to turn your nose up at.  Especially on the road.  And both of those teams play great defense against the run.  West Virginia may very easily lose two OOC games this season.  As for the conference, I think Pitt beats them again!!  And if we can get over the cold, then we will win our third straight season finale. 

If Pat White goes... so does West Virginia.  Jarrett Brown is a better QB, but isnt a better playmaker. 

Feardabull... I tend to agree with you.

Personally, I think USF will be in Miami... but we have to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Archived