• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib's Joey Johnston: USF in the St. Pete Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

There is no way a 6-1 USF in BE play, goes to St pete bowl.  Gauranteed.  Think about it.  USF would be 11-1, or 10-2 minimum.  That would equate to a top 15 final ranking, probably top 10.  There is less than a .000001 chance of going to St pete under that scenario, as a top 10-12 team.  On the other hand a 9-3/8-4ish type team on the fringes of the the top 25 could very well get sent to St Pete.  But that would probably be another 4-3 type BE team.   

Actually, I would put our chances at 11-1 and in St Pete somewhere around 25 - 33%.

It's complicated, to be sure... but if USF doesn't win the Big East and Notre Dame gets the Gator Bowl... then you're looking at Charlotte at best.  Now, let's say Pitt or Cincy was 5-2 and a Top 20 program.

Does MCCB take 11-1 USF or 10-2 Pitt or Cincinnati??

I could easily see them taking Pittsburgh or Cincinnati (closer, probably sell more tickets and bring more fans).

Now if the 5-2 team is U conn, then USF goes to Charlotte... or if the 3rd place Big East team is 4-3 in conference.

The only other possibility for 11-1 USF would be hoping to get an at-large BCS slot.  To get that, I expect WVU would have to go to the national championship game.  Then we would need to make sure no non-BCS team gets a slot (such as BYU or Fresno St).  In this case, there will be four BCS at-large teams, one from four of the BCS conferences.  The SEC would surely get one, likely the Florida-Georgia loser.  The Big 10 could get one, as both OSU and Wisconsin look good enough.  The Big 12 will also probably get one, with Oklahoma and Missouri looking strong.  That leaves one spot for the Pac 10, ACC, and Big East.

So, no matter how much it hurts to think about... USF could very easily go 11-1... be in the Top 12, and still play in St. Pete.

I still can't see an 11-1 USF going to st pete bowl against some CDOA team.  That would be a national disgrace.  I think it's much more likely to get a bcs bid.  At 11-1, USF WOULD be in the top ten, and possibly top 5.  Last year a 2 loss lsu team made nc game.  teams fall like flies toward the end of the year.  I could definitely see an 8-4/9-3/ and even possibly even a 10-2 (unlikely) but 11-1....no chance.  Don't believe it for a second.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

lost in the whole discussion, to me atleast, is that it wasn't all that long that merely being bowl eligible or being invited to a bowl game itself was something we were eager for.

the bar moves up and everyone scoots along with it I suppose. If USF goes bowling for a fourth straight year, I will consider that a nice accomplishment-- even in light of people anticipating greater things (BE Championships, top 15 rankings, undefeated seasons, BCS NC bowl games and the like). It is almost mind boggling how we assume things will continue to go our way. THey may-- but the ball still has to bounce your way, you have to avoid injuries, you have to stop the other teams, and you simply have to survive a long regular season.

Yes, Mike... and if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas...

Hope for the best, plan for the worst... It's true that on any given Saturday, USF could lose... but it's also true that USF could win.

No one would have suggested a number two ranking last year... and while I would be happy to support USF and attend the bowl game in St Pete, should the Bulls fall that far, I am hoping to be partying in Miami.

TX - I hope you're right... but if USF loses it's last game of the season, it probably won't be Top 5.  Still, I think 6-1 will be enough to win the Big East.  There is just a better-than-people-think chance of USF playing in St Pete.

Don't hope for it.  Don't want it.  Just don't be surprised if it happens.

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

lost in the whole discussion, to me atleast, is that it wasn't all that long that merely being bowl eligible or being invited to a bowl game itself was something we were eager for.

Exactly the way I was thinking.  Believe it or not, a bowl game in St. Pete might not be the worst thing in the world for building the fan base.  It would be marketed really well, give a chance for LOCAL STUD recruits to be on the sidelines right before they sign their LOIs and it would be a great chance for Alumni outside the area to get back as they tie it in with their Christmas vacations.

It really wouldn't be as bad as folks say and chances are we can relax as we beat the hell out of whoever it would be setting the stage for a pumped up 2009 season as we end on a high note vs. that beat down we took last year.  Man, I'd take a W any day over that clobbering...Of course the pay out was nice...

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Exactly the way I was thinking.  Believe it or not, a bowl game in St. Pete might not be the worst thing in the world for building the fan base.  It would be marketed really well, give a chance for LOCAL STUD recruits to be on the sidelines right before they sign their LOIs and it would be a great chance for Alumni outside the area to get back as they tie it in with their Christmas vacations.

It really wouldn't be as bad as folks say and chances are we can relax as we beat the hell out of whoever it would be setting the stage for a pumped up 2009 season as we end on a high note vs. that beat down we took last year.  Man, I'd take a W any day over that clobbering...Of course the pay out was nice...

It would be a tough ticket.  They probably could only fit around 40,000 people in that place for a football game.  Local coverage would be great, but I'm hoping we never play in that place for a bowl game.

Archived