• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Truck bed: plastic liner, carpet or spray/roll on?

twillybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Well, the repair bill on the old S-10 finally cost too much to fix, so I traded it in... I got a good deal on a late model GMC.  My only problem is the bed of my new truck is just factory paint and is allready scratched up to hell. 

I don't really want another plastic liner after seeing the rust and bare metal under the old one in the S-10.  Rhino lining is pretty nice but also very pricey?  (I can't even get a quote online from the local Tampa guys). 

The Bedrug carpet system looks nice online, but I've never seen one in person.  Anyone out there have the bedrug system?  Is it worth the $400?  Is it really as tough as they advertise?  Does it hold water underneath as bad as a plastic liner? 

I've never seen Linex, but I'm assuming the cost and final result are similar to the Rhino stuff? 

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.  Thanks! 

• Content Count:  4,642

i have linex in my truck bed, and i would never ever recommend anything else.  liners are garbage especially in the florida sun and the carpet ones are not only gay, but they tend to mold and get nasty pretty quick.  just spend the money and get the spray-in.  it actually adds a resale value to the truck, so the effective price is less than what you actually spend.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with the spray-on.  I do not own a truck, but my brother does and he loves his spray-on.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I knew a guy that did a lot of hunting and he got the spray on applied to his bed, his bed tool box, his bumpers, and all four fenders.  It actually looked really cool and it never got scratched as he was driving through the brush.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Used to have spray on and loved it. I have heard that Line-X is really good. I had Rhino, and my only complaint was that it seemed to get hard after a few years, but I think it was an install issue more than material.

New truck came with plastic and I never spent the money to do anything else, but I would suggest the spray-in as well in your situation. I also had it sprayed in my tool box at the time. Really nice and prevents that aluminum dust that accumulates on everything you put in there.

How are you doing on fuel milage? I have been eying the GMC's since I am almost due a new truck and my Dodge not only gets 13.5 MPG, but also only drinks mid-grade.

Are the GMC's truly getting 15-20 MPG?

• Content Count:  1,757

Thanks for the advice guys... I'm leaning towards line-x or rhino now.   

I've only had it a week now and haven't burnt through a whole tank, but the computer display on the truck says it's averaging 16 mpg on this tank (if you believe the computer).  That's with about a 40/60 split between city and highway miles (`06 Crew Cab, 2WD, 5.3L, light grade gas).  My disclaimer is that I've been very conservative on the accelerator pedal, with a couple of acceptions getting on the highway where I took it to 5K RPM... man you can just watch the gas gauge drop after that!  I'll let you know next time I fill up and do my own math to verify the computer readout. 

With gas at $4 a gallon it's definitely a buyer's market for V8 trucks right now, esp the low mileage used ones.       

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,345
  • Days Won:  10

How are you doing on fuel milage? I have been eying the GMC's since I am almost due a new truck and my Dodge not only gets 13.5 MPG, but also only drinks mid-grade.

Are the GMC's truly getting 15-20 MPG?

I drive an 03 Sierra extended cab 2wd 5.3L from Spring Hill to Lakeland everyday.  I don't take the interstate; I take 52 and 98.  I tend to drive aggressively and love passing vehicles (I bought this new and never had an eight cylinder before) and get 18-19 actual miles per gallon (I check it about every fill up).  If I drive the speed limit and use the cruise, with gentle take offs, I get 20 mpg.  I would never have another pickup and even with these gas prices I am not getting rid of it.  It has 180,000 on it and has not cost me anything other than regular maintenance.  Great truck!

I have a plastic liner but have always had a hard lid on it, so I doubt much water is getting in.

Archived