• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF-UCF Football

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Go ahead...dare ya...look...and you won't be able to find one article...not even a glimpse of ANY USF offer to play UCF in the past.

Actually, there was a glimpse ..... from 1998.

The Bulls don't need to play road games for cash guarantees, Griffin said, and they don't have plans for any beyond the San Diego State game. Florida, Florida State and Miami haven't shown interest in playing USF in a home-and-home series.

A game with Central Florida, which many fans consider a natural rival once the Bulls move to I-A, is "a long shot," Griffin said.

"I have not spoken to (UCF AD) Steve Sloan about that in a long time, and I haven't given it a whole lot of thought," he said.

If either Tampa or Orlando proposed the teams meeting in an event similar to the Florida Classic, USF might be interested, Griffin said.

"If the Citrus Bowl wants to have a big payoff, let them give it some thought," Griffin said. "If Raymond James (Stadium), the Tampa Sports Authority wants that, let them give it some thought. Right now it (would be) just another game."

Please note the verbage there. "I have not spoken to (UCF AD) Steve Sloan about that in a long time", not "Sloan hasn't spoken to me about it in a long time". That indicates that sometime pre-1998, Griffin initiated the contact about playing and was obviously rebuffed. Notice his later comments, which are even more telling. He doesn't say that USF would be interested if UCF wants the game, only if the two cities did. That means one of two things. Either he knew, at that time, that UCF didn't really want to play or he was pissed that UCF turned him down and would only, possibly, play then if one of the two cities set it up. Either way, it's obvious that Griffin tried early in USF's history to set something up and it didn't get done ...

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/36303087.html?dids=36303087:36303087&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Nov+26%2C+1998&author=SHARON+GINN&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1.C&desc=Still+hungry%2C+USF+football+beefs+up+schedule+in+%2799

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

PS. Hope USF doesn't sellout their visiting allotment for their HUGE game coming up at Ball State in the near future. That would probably be a GREAT road trip to go to Muncie, Indiana!!

If you haven't done so...I would order your home and away tix for the upcoming USF/Ball St series...that will be one HOT tix!

You are right. Muncie won;t be one of those glamor away games but I guess we have UCF to thank for that scheduling. It would have been nice to be able to just go up I-4 to have a series with some competitive non-BCS competition but you just couldn't hold up your end of the bargain .... maybe Ball State will give us some good games.

Please, Leavitt dodged playing this game until C-USA forced him to.  Regardless of the results, he wasn't going to continue it.

C-USA did not "force" the game to be scheduled. The first two-game series was announced well before USF moved to the Big East and UCF moved to C-USA. 

The second two-game series was an option in the original contract -- USF asked C-USA if the two additional games would satisfy the exit requirement; the last two games would not have been played if C-USA made USF play another C-USA game last year and this year.

You're partially right..Lee Constantine was going to pull a UF/FSU and Genshaft told him to stop and they(USF) would agree to play.  To be honest, I don't think Constantine was going to get it written into law.  C-USA allowed all 4 games to count as part of the exit requirement.  In fact, C-USA dropped the 5th game they originally asked for.

Trip, I never saw evidence backing that claim.  We know UCF offered USF a game in 2003 and it was turned down.

Dawg, let's talk about timing, and pull this out of our collective butts.  Also, where each program was when you were calling us 'chickens'. We had just hopped up to 1-A, and were somewhat of a fledgling program still, but for your group  you couldn't stand the fact we wouldn't jump at a series.  Coach K wanted a series immediately because he was running into us to much in recruiting and knew in 01-03 he had teams that could compete and beat us (keep in mind that piece of Coach K's reasoning is perception and no one on our side knows reality).  Also remember, before USF started playing football around 1995-96, when Gene McDowell was your coach, USF approached UCF about scheduling a game or two, and we were very abruptly turned down.  Gene thought it was beneath a program preparing to jump to 1-A...USF athletic department officials are well aware of that situation, and mention it because that was thought to be a powerful program builder if UCF agreed...they did not and so it was never forgotten.

But of course years later, Coach Kruz and crew decide to try and cajole a game out of us when suddenly it was decided we were nearly on level and it wasn't 'beneath' you.  We agreed in 2003 when we were in C-DOA and you were in the MAC, and before the conference switch occurred -so the BE shift had nothing to do with it.  It wasn't until much later, after negotiating our exit from C-DOA, we extended the series and requested it be used as consideration of the mandatory games.

Oh and the year's we play Ball State we're also playing two FL schools already.  Our goal isn't to be the champs of the FAU, FIU, UM, UCF, and USF bowl.  

Wrong, USF had some of it's best teams in that time frame, outside of possibly the last 2 years.  That was end of the Blackwell era.  The 02 team went 9-2, with the only losses being to Ark and Oklahoma.  Those teams beat Pitt on the road and beat down a supposed top 25 Bowling Green.  No way USF loses to UCF even then.  Go back and check the scores from 01 and 02, those USF offenses were potent, the 02 team went 4-0 against CDOA competition, but were snubbed from a bowl due to no conf tie ins.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

When will UCF get it through their thick skulls, USF does not want or need a "rivalry" with them.  Go away forever.

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

UCF is just sad that no good teams, like USF, want to play them anymore. Becuase UCF doesn't play any top 25 teams, is the reason they are complaining about the series being over.

What?  Ummm...Have you seen the OOC schedule?  Texas in 07 and will follow in 09 and 11.  They were ranked in 2007 and should be in 2009 and 2011.  Boston College could easily be ranked this coming year.  So could Miami.  Do your homework, missy.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

UCF is just sad that no good teams, like USF, want to play them anymore. Becuase UCF doesn't play any top 25 teams, is the reason they are complaining about the series being over.

What?  Ummm...Have you seen the OOC schedule?  Texas in 07 and will follow in 09 and 11.  They were ranked in 2007 and should be in 2009 and 2011.  Boston College could easily be ranked this coming year.  So could Miami.  Do your homework, missy.

:-\

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47153.0;attach=139;image

If that doesn't sum it up I don't know what does.

• Content Count:  10

Texas is playing you (UCF) as a warm up game and boston college, i wouldn't expect them to be ranked for the next two years, and miami are you kidding, i also think we have a 6 year deal signed with them. you are a warm up game to everyone. Sorry your football team hasn't exploded onto the sceen as quickly as us, but we did play a series against you, so we couldn't have ducked out of it and now since we have won EVERY game we played against you, no point in continuing a crappy series that no one considers a rivalry but you, We play better football than you and that is the basis of your rivalry, in that case everyone in the BCS should be your rival. and I think its funny you name your out of conference schedule for the next 5 years, at least people know the schools in our conference.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

FTU/OU/OC HAS DISAPPEARED FROM  the football scene after culpepper years

those girls must be sweating wearing nylons(that is some strange look)

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

... USF approached UCF about scheduling a game or two, and we were very abruptly turned down. 

More lies.

If USF ever, EVER offered a contract/series with UCF...it would of made the St Pete Times or Tampa Tribune.

Go ahead...check...St Pete Times archive is FREE...only stories about possible USF/UCF games is that of USF "ducking" UCF.

Go ahead...dare ya...look...and you won't be able to find one article...not even a glimpse of ANY USF offer to play UCF in the past.

Sorry to exposre you SB...but you walked into this toooooooooooooo easily.

That's hilarious!

• Content Count:  88

the lol of that photo is the beer gut on the fat ass in the middle

Archived