• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Butters/King supported by Matt Grothe

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

awesome quote Belle.

I'll have to say though most promises these candidates make don't happen. I have seen both tickets fault on the student body... Hall's tactics are redicolous though.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  552

sixtysix- someone else did it as well, but changed it. if you click on their profile picture it takes you to their last picture which is the one in question.

• Content Count:  5,241

if its what i saw it wasnt from either canidate in the run off but another one... am i correct?

yep. It was something in true bad taste from a vice-presidential candidate in the primary election. He choose to switch his profile picture out to something that was not only disgraceful, but something that truly lacked class. I am proud of my heritage, and admit there has been some things that the Germans screwed up on. The person in question posted the similarity of an iconic flag that should never be raised, much less propagated in any form.

people are such morons. one thing my daddy taught me: you can't fix stupid.

Is your dad Ron white?

• Content Count:  478

ha! ron white!!! good one Jim! He is soooo weird! (Ron, not my dad) :)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

It's always fun to see the recurrent cycle of opinions from various camps of philosophy regarding student government elections. Though some on this board have experienced more of them than I, this was the 8th election cycle I've watched. Sadly, it has been the first that I was not able to contribute significantly to, due to the fact that I'm now on clinical rotations and I barely have time to eat. I'm actually writing this from an ER computer now...

I did want to offer refutation on one statement - nobody is perfect, and you can't expect that student politicians are going to be able to "make good on every promise." It happens, now and again. Mike Griffin and Dave Mincberg ('01-'03), two guys that many in my generation respect, were SG leaders that I remember who did so. Omar Khan ('03-'04) did a decent job too, though we didn't agree on everything, of making good on the platform that he ran on and the promises that he made. He was true to his heart. I can also tell you that every single one of the 32 pages' worth of platform items that I ran on would have absolutely been pursued to the fullest extent, and then some, had I been elected. Hands down, it would have meant the world to me to have the opportunity, and I would have capitalized on that opportunity to the fullest extent possible. Naturally, student officers cannot be expected to be successful with every endeavor they set out to accomplish, but one good measurement of future success is whether their heart is in the right place.

In my humble opinion, we have seen some years of SG president/vp combos who have not necessarily had their hearts in the right place. I won't tell you they were consecutive, and I won't offer opinions on individuals(excluding Garin, whom I do not know much about but have heard good things). Personally, I think it is a good thing that the family chain has been broken. There has been an unofficial "political party" composed of a small number of tight-knit inner-SG folks that has been successful since '05 in helping to make sure that their buddies got elected. HT, though I know little about them personally, would have continued that family chain had they been successful. I tend to think, and I mean this not to be directed at Hall-Taylor, that it is good to see change to a different tune in political offices. Besides that, I know for sure that Tom King's heart is in the right place; I've seen him around and worked with him on campus since 2004. I'm not well-versed on the intricacies of his job performance since I graduated, but I can tell you he definitely has the best interest of USF, the student body, SG, and Athletics at heart. I've encouraged him to run for a while now, as I did Nathan Davison, and a few other folks who never took the plunge. There should be no negativity surrounding Morgan and King's election, at least from the standpoint of worry that the coming year will be anything but good.

Brandon you ran for SG president???? really? when?  i must have graduated - i feel old.

Brandon you ran for SG president???? really? when?  i must have graduated - i feel old.

Yeah... ::tucks head down:: ...twice. I ran with JP Murphy and lost a very tight race to Bijal and Andrew in '04-'05, then I ran again for '05-'06 and Maxon and Sameer won that one.

awww well you and JP would have been good! I have no flipping clue who the other people are...

awww well you and JP would have been good! I have no flipping clue who the other people are...

That's very kind of you ;-) There were hard lessons for me to learn those years... and I think they convinced me to stay away from politics after USF. Sometimes, it doesn't matter who has proven themselves more, accomplished more for the school, who has more experience, who runs a clearly more professional campaign, whose heart is in the right place, or whether one lacks skeletons in the closet compared to an opponent with many. People will support whoever they support for whatever reasons they decide, and sometimes those reasons are trivial; other times it's just friendships that are important, or who "asked first." The best you can do is prepare yourself in every way possible to the the best job possible if you're running for the right reasons, and run a campaign you can be proud of regardless of the outcome. At least I can claim some wisdom when it comes to the limited subject of USF SG goings-on! :-)

Archived