• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

yeah thats what i was trying to say the last few games "even" bozeman has been more productive then howard.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

howard is decent but not big east talent. sure he makes some good passes, but he makes a ton of mistakes and watching him shoot the ball and get every layup he attempts blocked is agonizing

he will be a nice backup to mercer

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Velcro, I agree with you 99% of the time, but I gotta somewhat disagree with you on Howard. His passing is very good, I will give you that, however... I believe as a starting point guard in the BE, you need to be able to score 10 points a game. He cant do that. I just wish we had a more reliable shooter at PG. I watch him shoot the 3 and just hold my breath. Last year, I also thought that he was doing better with assists, almost tops in the BE. I dont think he is close this year. Starting PG's need to be capable of taking a game over, ie not howard.

I agree scoring PG helps, and Mercer can help in that respect... but ask Pepe Sanchez how much scoring you have to do to be successful in the big east.  That guy couldn't put the ball in a hoop the size of the ocean, but he'd get 8-10 assists a game. 

Having Howard running the point is the reason our turnovers are down because he is beating the press.  Everyone presses us because recently, we've been turnover prone.  Well we now beat the press 95% of the time.  Last year, it was probably 50/50.

That is huge and it is because Chris is smart player and has talent around him (finally) and he's finally healthy to boot.

I do agree Mercer has the potential to do what Chris hasn't and that is score... but I bet you'll see Chris running the point most the time, with Mercer on the floor with him and dojo when we go small, and then all 3 of those guys rotating at the point (with Dojo getting the majority of time at SG).

Hopefully Holmes gets his confidence going because that 4 guard rotation could be sick.

yes a PG does not need to "take over a game".  He manages the game. I'll take 10 assts,6 points, and 1-2 turnovers from the 1 guard any day.  A "True" PG does not score a whole lot.  That is why you have a shooting guard.

As for us going "small".  I think that we may not have much of a choice next year.  That could be ugly. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Agreed... that is a scary thought.  Nova has done well with it, but they still had at least one big guy that was very talented. 

It could be ugly for sure.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Yeah, but the improvement in turn-over ratio isn't because Howard has improved. The reason it has improved is because we no longer have Chris Capko running the point. No offense to Cap, but he was a liability handling the rock.

Cap would take offense at that. The Bulls had just over 500 turnovers last year. Chris was only responsibile for around 18 of those and his Assist to Turnover ratio was 1.7/1  ...    ;)

• Content Count:  387

We'll be solid at guard and Ajayi is the next Solomon Jones. We need a little more depth under the boards to see a marked improvement next year.

I think Stan will bring in a quality big man.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I really like the Mercer>Howard idea to tell you the truth. Howard has 0, and I mean 0 scoring ability. I wouldnt mind him coming in as a backup, he can pass pretty well, but his shooting drives me nuts. I think the 2 forwards and 3 guards is a very likely possibility; perhaps two power forwards. I have also heard, from a couple different sources, that we have a few players on their way out. Aris Williams seems for sure, I have heard conflicting reports on both Bozeman and Amu Saaka. Interestingly enough, I have heard quite a few negatives about Chin. Not that I think he is on his way out, but a few players have told me he just doesnt act like he cares a lot... I think we all saw that with the jersey on backwards. Agree, disagree???

Stan making room for goins, brumbaugh, sutton, and flowers??

• Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Yea, when I say I have sources, its just a few people close to the basketball program that have a hunch. With that said, anybody who thinks Aris is on his way back is crazy. The way Heath is recruiting, I really think a few people will be nudged toward transferring.

• Content Count:  1,254

Yea, when I say I have sources, its just a few people close to the basketball program that have a hunch. With that said, anybody who thinks Aris is on his way back is crazy. The way Heath is recruiting, I really think a few people will be nudged toward transferring.

Bozeman out would be fine with me. He has done nothing to contribute to the progression of this program. Kid gets as many techs as Rasheed Wallace. Unfortunately he cant shoot the ball like Sheed. Erratic threes and poor ball handling. Id be sorry to see Saaka go, but he has not lived up to is expected of him. Good kid but time time we move on from him.

We'll be solid at guard and Ajayi is the next Solomon Jones. We need a little more depth under the boards to see a marked improvement next year.

I think Stan will bring in a quality big man.

You are kidding about Ajayi right? He does not have that ridiculous wing span, and he is certainly not a scoring threat. He will be a decent defender though. But Heath definitely needs to bring in a quality bug man or next season could be worse than this season. We will get destroyed in the paint.

Archived