• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Solutions Surfacing In Stadium Standoff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

The problem here is even on years that USF doesn't have a home game scheduled the final week, there can be a cancellation like in 2005 with the West Virginia game. Therefore, USF needs to have the rights of the field that final week of the season at least on Thursday. The ACC can paint the field on Friday, and the local attendance excuse doesn't work because if the ACC keeps playing hardball I doubt too many locals will be attending the game unless their alma mater is playing in the game.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see how negotiatig a long term lease benefits USF.  If the only thing they gain is having the right to have higher priority in scheduling games, then I saw forget it.  Its not worth it.  Now if a longer lease enables USF to pay a reduced lease and a share of concession revenues, then yes it is worth signing a long term lease. But just to have the scheduling rights, tsa can shove it.

• Content Count:  4,016

Thats the thing, it brings in HARDLY ANY MONEY at all.

People don't realize this. They think these sporting events are huge for the economy when they really aren't. In fact, one of our professors has researched this for Superbowls in many different cities.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=73176

And these are just a few examples. He's written much more on the issue.

Tampa needs to back their college team; who should be second only to the Bucs at RayJ; PERIOD.

That article doesn't make any sense whatsoever...'sales tax'?  Sales tax on what material goods?  Well why not look at the ser taxes on hotels, rental cars, and food services to discern a difference.  There is a huge difference and to suggest otherwise is crazy.  Do you realize that nearly every hotel is already booked for that weekend, and the minimum is a 3 night stay through that weekend.

Why doesn't Mike Deeson and Professor Porter look at more real statistics to compare:

Percentage Occupancy for the previous year, and the Super Bowl.

Average Hotel Rate

Average airport traffic

Average Rental Car Numbers

Sales tax is a small measure because it's hard to discern in a growing populated MSA like Tampa Bay that already has a strong tourist pull during that time.  The Area back then was growing by a net 20k people per year, so sales tax numbers will continue to go up each year thus somewhat camoflaging the value if you just went by sales tax numbers.  More importantly, I want to know how many MORE people are in the bay area, spending time and money then would have been here in the previous years.

Other areas that Mike Deeson and Prefessor Porter didn't analyze, how many individuals were employed by the Super Bowl, i.e. caters, entertainers, drivers, construction/set-up workers....I mean exclusively by the NFL or an affiliate--that wouldn't be shown in sales tax figures either.

It's true the economic impact is always less than the goofy hundreds of millions to billion dollar projections thrown around, but no one has ever denied an economic impact.  In fact, I'd almost have to look at someone cross-eyed to make such an asinine assertion.  

• Content Count:  2,277

I am by no means any kind of economics person but I think there's two ways to look at it...

You can say that it doesn't have much of an economic impact because the amount of taxes that are spent by the visitors is nominal.

On the other hand you can say that it has a huge economic impact in the hotels, restaurants, airports, etc...  But the event doesn't have much of an impact at all for the average person that doesn't have a business that the people visiting would patron.

So for the average person like me, that doesn't have a business that people would be spending money at, it doesn't have much impact at all.

• Content Count:  4,016

I am by no means any kind of economics person but I think there's two ways to look at it...

You can say that it doesn't have much of an economic impact because the amount of taxes that are spent by the visitors is nominal.

On the other hand you can say that it has a huge economic impact in the hotels, restaurants, airports, etc...  But the event doesn't have much of an impact at all for the average person that doesn't have a business that the people visiting would patron.

So for the average person like me, that doesn't have a business that people would be spending money at, it doesn't have much impact at all.

No doubt it appears that way.

There are ways it does have an economic impact and that's in public works and capital improvements.  A number of our roadway improvements were moved up in the state budget to try and accomodate before the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately not all will be done but many will be completed.  Also many ancillary local projects get done that normally wouldn't have happened, in 2001 the NFL upgraded our practice fields so the teams could use them, they paid for some subtle stadium upgrades to accomodate the fans, and the biggest is how positively the city gets displayed for the entire world to see for a few days.

It definitely doesn't put money into all the tax payers pockets but the implications and positives are beneficial.

• Content Count:  809

This thread is getting old.

I'm gonna buy tickets and go to the ACC Championship game nonetheless. I'm a fan of college football. I like going to games, don't really care who's playing.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I'm gonna buy tickets and go to the ACC Championship game nonetheless. I'm a fan of college football. I like going to games, don't really care who's playing.

You must be anti-USF to say such a thing ... LOL! >:D

• Content Count:  760

The reason he is talking about sales tax is because as far as all the Hotel and Airport Traffic goes, all that money does not stay in Tampa. It goes to the owners of these Hotels and Airline Companies that are NOT located in Tampa. Therefore, we only see the sales tax from these items.

Restaurants may see an increase, but there is only a certain capacity they can support. Most of the time these high profile restaurants are completely filled anyways. The only thing the Superbowl and other games bring is exposure (and traffic). Its hard to put an economic measure on that however.

As far as the article being "pointless and opinionated", there is a entire paper published on this issue and its a constant debate. I am trying to get my hands on it to study it further because I too doubted that there was such a little economic impact as claimed.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

The reason he is talking about sales tax is because as far as all the Hotel and Airport Traffic goes, all that money does not stay in Tampa. It goes to the owners of these Hotels and Airline Companies that are NOT located in Tampa. Therefore, we only see the sales tax from these items.

Restaurants may see an increase, but there is only a certain capacity they can support. Most of the time these high profile restaurants are completely filled anyways. The only thing the Superbowl and other games bring is exposure (and traffic). Its hard to put an economic measure on that however.

As far as the article being "pointless and opinionated", there is a entire paper published on this issue and its a constant debate. I am trying to get my hands on it to study it further because I too doubted that there was such a little economic impact as claimed.

I agree with your quote.  Most of the "profits" of tourism do not stay in state.  The government talks about all of the jobs it creates, but that is mostly crap.  Most hotel and food service jobs are sub $10 an hour and provide at best part time work and poverty wages.  Most hotels are franchised or corporate owned and the profits go out of state and are spent elsewhere.  How many times do you see Hilton or Marriott funding local charities - never.  They do not benefit the community other than the taxes they do pay (namely sales tax / tourism tax which is higher than regular sales tax rates).

People from out of state like to eat at places they are familiar with, most of which are chains, and outside of Hooters and Outback, and a few locally franchised options, the profits go out of state. 

When they do this study, they will estimate the stadium to be full and half of the stands to be out of the area guests and estimate they will all stay Friday - Monday and 1/2 will fly in providign revenue to TIA. 

I tell you who will benefit.  The TSA and the Bucs.  Free money.  It is like having a bucs game but was not planned.  So it is like getting an extra paycheck. 

BTW, who will pay for the traffic control for this?  Hiills county and Tampa tax payers.  I bet there will not be any reimbursement for that.  Same thing with any special traffic department work or traffic planning.  Hello taxpayers, time to stand up and pay for the ACC game which most could care less about. 

• Content Count:  505

So if the USF vs WVU game is on at the same time, which one are you going to watch?

Archived