• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

1 and done

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

only do a 1 and done with the "BIG BOYS"

Ohio st....USC...LSU...UGA...VaTech...I would love to see more SEC schools on the schedule...get Auburn, Bama,Arkansas,South Carolina,Kentucky to all give a return trip here...that would be fantastic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Clearly, given the ND deal we are open to 1 and done deals.  Are there any other teams you would accept such a deal from?  The post is not to revisit if such deals are appropriate as a bcs school. My list is:

Notre Dame

USC

Michigan

LSU

Tennessee

I excluded places we have been before, Oklahoma and Penn State in particular.

any traditional power pplus  0ne million in cash would be fine

it beats a home game with 1aaa school

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the auburn one and done propelled usf into national prominence

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

smazz is right on this one.

Leavitt needs to get over this 1aa McNeese Elon ****.

if anything, add some bottom feeding Sun Belt or MAC team or maybe even Duke.

those 1aa games do nothing for us, and the fact that we didn't exactly light Elon up this and last year it took us until the second half to pull away from McNeese only gives people the ability to say "oh they struggled against an FCS team"

Ball State is the kind of school we should be opening with, not giving 1-and-1's to.

:thumbsdown

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

smazz is right on this one.

Leavitt needs to get over this 1aa McNeese Elon ****.

if anything, add some bottom feeding Sun Belt or MAC team or maybe even Duke.

those 1aa games do nothing for us, and the fact that we didn't exactly light Elon up this and last year it took us until the second half to pull away from McNeese only gives people the ability to say "oh they struggled against an FCS team"

Ball State is the kind of school we should be opening with, not giving 1-and-1's to.

:thumbsdown

Look around the college landscape and you'll find that every Division 1A football team plays these 1AA teams.  We're not the only ones.  Even mighty Ohio State and LSU play cupcakes, so why shouldn't we?  We played Auburn, but we still played Elon, see how things work out?

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

We are seeing more of the SEC and ACC and Big whatever conferences.  Auburn, NC, NC State, Miami...to mention a few.  We are holding our own so far.

I would like to see UGA Dogs and South Carolina (Spurrier).  ND is not my favorite b/c they are independent and not much gained there win or loose.

Just a thought.  Bring on Bulldogs and Gamecocks.  Kansas next year (not a 1 and done I know)....

• Content Count:  2,461

Look around the college landscape and you'll find that every Division 1A football team plays these 1AA teams.  We're not the only ones.  Even mighty Ohio State and LSU play cupcakes, so why shouldn't we?  We played Auburn, but we still played Elon, see how things work out?

There's nothing really wrong with that... But building a program, as we still are, different approaches might be better in the short run. I'm not sure which way we should go, but IF we were to WIN a game against any one of these teams it would do exactly what Auburn did for us last season. On the other hand we could play a cupcake, take a nearly certain victory, and go relatively unnoticed until we win the bigger ones (which seems to be the current strategy). It depends how risky you want to be. I don't think voters would knock us too much if they were to look at our schedule and see a first game loss to a big dog. Heck, they might actually begin to think we can play with them.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  158

Look around the college landscape and you'll find that every Division 1A football team plays these 1AA teams.  We're not the only ones.  Even mighty Ohio State and LSU play cupcakes, so why shouldn't we?   We played Auburn, but we still played Elon, see how things work out?

There's nothing really wrong with that... But building a program, as we still are, different approaches might be better in the short run. I'm not sure which way we should go, but IF we were to WIN a game against any one of these teams it would do exactly what Auburn did for us last season. On the other hand we could play a cupcake, take a nearly certain victory, and go relatively unnoticed until we win the bigger ones (which seems to be the current strategy). It depends how risky you want to be. I don't think voters would knock us too much if they were to look at our schedule and see a first game loss to a big dog. Heck, they might actually begin to think we can play with them.

perhaps you weren't around when we went through this cycle already.

THese payday games are done by non-BCS teams for the most part. When you are a BCS team, you should expect a fair trade of 1 for 1's with another BCS squad short of them being some mythical giant team that is beyond reproach (which there may be all of about 10-15 of those total). Peraps you also failed to see the numerous home and home series we have signed over the last few years that clearly show we are more than capable of being that equal partner type of BCS team. Yeah-- we aren't quite in the "league" of the perenial monster teams at this point. But if we can start ending up the year in the top 25 all the time-- eventually we will garner that type of respect from the bigger teams that are willing to play a handful of non-conference away games every now and then.

The problem is with college football as a whole-- not just USF scheduling.  MOST of the juggernauts--- the UF's, USCs, Michigan's, Penn States, Ohio States--- they have HUGE capacity stadiums that are built for the maximum number of home games. Those folks have no desire to play any more than the conference minimum of away games-- plain and simple. This is why some of them end up playing cupcake games against 1-AA squads or push for the payday type games you think are so attractive. If it costs USF almost the same as it gets paid out for a bowl game-- how do you figure these payday games are so lucrative (short of the quicker turnaround interms of overall stay)?

The facts are these--- we want more home games just like the big guys. ANYTIME we can sign a home and home with another BCS or even FCS squad (less impressive) that is a big win for the program. Those 1-aa games everyone whines about make it possible in some years for us to have a home opponent who doesn't expect an extra large check. We make serious coin on those.

• Content Count:  3,078

I think my choice is pretty obvious...

it would be nice for USF fans to come see one of the best gameday experiences in the country

Archived