• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting Class Imploding?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

did Daniels go to Memphis?

For all those that say recruiting doesn't matter...a good class certainly can't/doesn't hurt. 

Recruiting is huge, recruiting rankings are not.  Miami has 32 players, I believe, but half of them are LB or WR.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  919

we got 1 DT... not good for an already thin line.  it's going to be a long year next year.

JUCO Craig Marshall is expected to sign and Leslie Stirrups should make it back next year too.

we got 1 DT... not good for an already thin line.  it's going to be a long year next year.

JUCO Craig Marshall is expected to sign and Leslie Stirrups should make it back next year too.

Yep, and Aaron Haris could be on the all-conference team at DT next year for us, and McClain is apparently good.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yep, and Aaron Haris could be on the all-conference team at DT next year for us, and McClain is apparently good.

McClain is going to surprise alot of people here i think.  Most people here make it sound like the cubbard is bare at DT when really we have some great young players that can be just as good as what we lost if not better.  People need to realize there is a reason why McClain saw time at DT last year as a true freshman and its because he has great size paired with great athleticism. 

• Content Count:  2,523

For all the chicken Little's out there, the class ratings DON'T MEAN THAT MUCH. 

Look at Kansas as an example.  Here's how their classes were rated since 2004 - 56, 57, 47, 78, and 44.  Didn't seem to stop them from finishing in the Top 10 last year. 

USF's ratings since 2004 - 45, 54, 56, 45, and 55. 

Kansas was a FLUKE.  I'd rather look at consistency from say someone like Southern Cal, LSU, Texas, UF, etc. 

Dozer, I think you missed the biggest part of my post.  It wasn't losing Streeter or any of the others, it's the lack of VOLUME of these guys we were even able to talk to.  I know we can't win many of these battles, but to not be in many more battles than this is disturbing, especially when FSU has been AWFUL for a few seasons running and could possibly be on the brink of major NCAA sanctions, yet it didn't stop them from raking in tons of talent and being at the table of all the big recruits whether they got them or not.

How about teams like FSU, Pitt, and the U who sport tom classes year in and year out but haven't exactly been world beaters.   

Also you want the answer to the part of your post that i missed its really not that hard.  How many players has FSU sent to the NFL?  How many conference and national championships do they have?  How often do they sell out and pack bowden field?  How nice are their facilities?  We are no where near on a level playing field with the programs that you mention when it comes to history, nfl players, or facilities.  Is the gap closer than it was say 5 years ago?  Yes, but is there still a considerable gap to be made up? Yes.  Until we have the $$$ that those programs have that allow us to upgrade every single thing we have to being the best of the best and get a few things we are still missing (dining hall. new practice fields, athlete dorms etc) we will always just be an outside shot at the big time kids.   $$ runs college football even down to the most fundamental levels. 

Dozer, Miami and FSU had a few down years bc of one position, QB.  Most of those years they've sported top recruiting classes led to multiple national titles and some of the longest winning streaks and bowl appearance streaks in the history of college football.  If they hadn't missed on QB, they'd have been just as good as they always had been and you'll see them both WIDE OPEN in 2 seasons, you can bet on that with the changes they've got happening right now.  Our best chance to grab guys we BOTH wanted, was this year.  The gap won't be getting closer with the talent they are pulling right now...Those Miami NW players they just pulled are all LEGIT.  If you watched that game, you'd see that those rankings aren't off on those guys...

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

For all the chicken Little's out there, the class ratings DON'T MEAN THAT MUCH. 

Look at Kansas as an example.  Here's how their classes were rated since 2004 - 56, 57, 47, 78, and 44.  Didn't seem to stop them from finishing in the Top 10 last year. 

USF's ratings since 2004 - 45, 54, 56, 45, and 55. 

Kansas was a FLUKE.  I'd rather look at consistency from say someone like Southern Cal, LSU, Texas, UF, etc. 

Dozer, I think you missed the biggest part of my post.  It wasn't losing Streeter or any of the others, it's the lack of VOLUME of these guys we were even able to talk to.  I know we can't win many of these battles, but to not be in many more battles than this is disturbing, especially when FSU has been AWFUL for a few seasons running and could possibly be on the brink of major NCAA sanctions, yet it didn't stop them from raking in tons of talent and being at the table of all the big recruits whether they got them or not.

How about teams like FSU, Pitt, and the U who sport tom classes year in and year out but haven't exactly been world beaters. 

Also you want the answer to the part of your post that i missed its really not that hard.  How many players has FSU sent to the NFL?  How many conference and national championships do they have?  How often do they sell out and pack bowden field?  How nice are their facilities?  We are no where near on a level playing field with the programs that you mention when it comes to history, nfl players, or facilities.  Is the gap closer than it was say 5 years ago?  Yes, but is there still a considerable gap to be made up? Yes.  Until we have the $$$ that those programs have that allow us to upgrade every single thing we have to being the best of the best and get a few things we are still missing (dining hall. new practice fields, athlete dorms etc) we will always just be an outside shot at the big time kids.  $$ runs college football even down to the most fundamental levels. 

Dozer, Miami and FSU had a few down years bc of one position, QB.  Most of those years they've sported top recruiting classes led to multiple national titles and some of the longest winning streaks and bowl appearance streaks in the history of college football.  If they hadn't missed on QB, they'd have been just as good as they always had been and you'll see them both WIDE OPEN in 2 seasons, you can bet on that with the changes they've got happening right now.  Our best chance to grab guys we BOTH wanted, was this year.  The gap won't be getting closer with the talent they are pulling right now...Those Miami NW players they just pulled are all LEGIT.  If you watched that game, you'd see that those rankings aren't off on those guys...

FSU's defense was very un FSU like this year and last.  Same with Miami who usually sports a very good and very stout D.  There are way more problems at both of those schools than the QB spot.  Also i never doubted the MNW kids.  You still can't explain to me how USF with its limited resources is supposed to compete with programs like UF, USF, LSU, OSU, OU where they have every single thing you would ever need to be a successful player and student and have a decades long tack record of sending kids to the NFL.  To think we are at that point yet is kind of absurd if you ask me.  Do i want to reach that point soon than later hell yes, do i have the millions of dollars that it will take to get us on even par with those schools no.  Really unless some whale donor comes in and gives CJL every single thing hes been pushing to add to the program and them some we will always lose out on big time recruits who know they have a good shot at playing on the next level.   

Dozer, you want to see why that FSU defense wasn't like it's usual self?  Look at the last few NFL drafts and see how many of those guys CAME OUT EARLY.  It's incredible the number of JUNIORS they've sent into the draft.  FSU hasn't slid at all, just at QB.  If anything, they've been TOO GOOD recruiting defensively as they can't get a guy to make it to his JR year before becoming a first round pick.  They're going to lose some more in this draft and next year they'll lose guys like Rolle early as well.

As for us competing with guys against FSU.  SELLING A DREAM is how you do it and SELLING THE USF EXPERIENCE.  Man, have you ever been to Tally much?  It's a **** DUMP.  The only stuff to do is on Tennessee Street and that's all of a few bars which are disgusting.  The campus is not attractive at all and Tally as a city looks like crap outside of a few state buildings.  So we're missing a few things, but those aren't near as big a difference than the differences between the locale of Tampa vs. Tally.

It's why guys like Zook can go ANYWHERE and still pull in 4 and 5 star guys his first year.  Do you seriously think Zook has more to sell where he is than Leavitt?  Especially to a FL kid?  Come on!

I'm a die hard Leavitt fan and despite his serious coaching blunders in big games, I'm willing to stick with him bc I know he can learn from those experience, and you can't teach what he can do with kids once we get them.  But he seriously needs some help getting them here so we need to drop some coin for a recruiting ace to come to Tampa.  Imagine what he could do with kids with higher ceilings...

Actually Ruger7mmmag, FSU has sucked because of no Offensive Line (look at 2 5-star QBs and 2 NFL draft picks at RB all on the same team and sucking, and Antone Smith is good as well).  Same with Miami.  In fact, Miami didn't exactly bolster their O-Line this year.  FSU did, getting a lot of guys.

More importantly, we just got 4-star QB BJ Daniels.

Actually Ruger7mmmag, FSU has sucked because of no Offensive Line (look at 2 5-star QBs and 2 NFL draft picks at RB all on the same team and sucking, and Antone Smith is good as well).  Same with Miami.  In fact, Miami didn't exactly bolster their O-Line this year.  FSU did, getting a lot of guys.

More importantly, we just got 4-star QB BJ Daniels.

Very true and very excited (more like relieved) now that Baker and Daniels are on board.  Seems like we may be salvaging things.  If we could've held Jones at WR plus these guys, we'd have definitely made a big jump from last year.  As it is, I think we did improve over last year depending on how many of these guys qualify.  If they all do, then we definitely made a jump, if not, then I'd say we were slightly ahead of last year, but not in the top 35 like I was hoping after this season.

Archived