• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting Class Imploding?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

That's the problem Bull, look how FEW of these top guys we were talking too.  Shoot, there's schools right now who SUCK lightyears worse than USF on the field and are in worse locations that are SIGNING more higher rated recruits than we're getting to take us seriously.  That's a huge problem.  I was hoping we'd have some signings out of "left field" to surprise us to show we've made the jump to the next level, but it's clear so far we have not.  We've been fortunate to do what we've done with what we've gotten so far, but we are very far from going from a 4 loss team to a one loss team and conference winner and our window is slipping bc Pitt won't screw it up forever and WVU isn't losing any ground to us at all.  Make no mistake, today has been a disaster.  Yes, we've gotten some awesome kids, but not near as many as we needed.  With our returning starters, the "hit" won't show next season, but after 2009 season, we're in store for a massive step backwards right now.

Sorry the program isn't developing to your standards.  Even without Streeter, Green, and Jones this is still pretty easily the best class USF has ever signed.  If the team goes out and can win a BE title or reach a BCS game this year you can expect us to win a few of the signing day battles.  Sad thing is we just aren't quite there yet when it comes to competing with the big dogs.  Why do you think CJL is asking for things like a dining hall that are standard at most major programs.  You don't just go out and start getting top recruits like streeter or liuget because your program is another year older and you went to a bowl game.  Some people really need to have patience because  the connections and program it takes to have annual top recruiting classes and get major players who can go just about anywhere they choose doesn't happen over night. 

What do you base your opinion on that this is the best class ever for USF?  It seems to be an average class per the rankings.  I know you don't believe in the rankings, but let's be honest what else do you have to compare it against?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  919

That's the problem Bull, look how FEW of these top guys we were talking too.  Shoot, there's schools right now who SUCK lightyears worse than USF on the field and are in worse locations that are SIGNING more higher rated recruits than we're getting to take us seriously.  That's a huge problem.  I was hoping we'd have some signings out of "left field" to surprise us to show we've made the jump to the next level, but it's clear so far we have not.  We've been fortunate to do what we've done with what we've gotten so far, but we are very far from going from a 4 loss team to a one loss team and conference winner and our window is slipping bc Pitt won't screw it up forever and WVU isn't losing any ground to us at all.  Make no mistake, today has been a disaster.  Yes, we've gotten some awesome kids, but not near as many as we needed.  With our returning starters, the "hit" won't show next season, but after 2009 season, we're in store for a massive step backwards right now.

Dude, chill.  This year's class is as good as last year's and together they are the 2 best in USF history.  Leavitt has been doing more with 2 star players than just about anyone in the country and will continue to do so.  Sure, I'm a little disappointed right now, but to say we are poised for a massive step backward is ludicrous.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

That's the problem Bull, look how FEW of these top guys we were talking too.  Shoot, there's schools right now who SUCK lightyears worse than USF on the field and are in worse locations that are SIGNING more higher rated recruits than we're getting to take us seriously.  That's a huge problem.  I was hoping we'd have some signings out of "left field" to surprise us to show we've made the jump to the next level, but it's clear so far we have not.  We've been fortunate to do what we've done with what we've gotten so far, but we are very far from going from a 4 loss team to a one loss team and conference winner and our window is slipping bc Pitt won't screw it up forever and WVU isn't losing any ground to us at all.  Make no mistake, today has been a disaster.  Yes, we've gotten some awesome kids, but not near as many as we needed.  With our returning starters, the "hit" won't show next season, but after 2009 season, we're in store for a massive step backwards right now.

Sorry the program isn't developing to your standards.  Even without Streeter, Green, and Jones this is still pretty easily the best class USF has ever signed.  If the team goes out and can win a BE title or reach a BCS game this year you can expect us to win a few of the signing day battles.  Sad thing is we just aren't quite there yet when it comes to competing with the big dogs.  Why do you think CJL is asking for things like a dining hall that are standard at most major programs.  You don't just go out and start getting top recruits like streeter or liuget because your program is another year older and you went to a bowl game.  Some people really need to have patience because  the connections and program it takes to have annual top recruiting classes and get major players who can go just about anywhere they choose doesn't happen over night. 

What do you base your opinion on that this is the best class ever for USF?  It seems to be an average class per the rankings.  I know you don't believe in the rankings, but let's be honest what else do you have to compare it against?

Watching scouting vids on the players, the number of all area and all state selections.  The programs that were after the same kids we were.  Anyone who has followed USF's classes will tell you thiis is arguably the best class we have ever signed.  This is a great class and it's funny how stars dont matter here until we miss out on some guys who have high star ratings and and our recruiting ranking which  meant nothing 2 weeks ago all of a sudden becomes a message of doom.  This place is pretty **** funny if you ask me. 

• Content Count:  2,523

Jeesh, now we will have to listen about how UCiF kicked our ass in recruiting for the next 365 days.  Really sad that we are not making the next step in recruiting.  Nationally the perception will be/is that we are not apart of the big boys.  All the analyst's will say/think that when we beat an Auburn that Auburn had an off day.  Then when we lose a game they will say that they were right we don't belong.  4 years from now I hope we see this as a successful class but ranking in the 50's or 60's really isn't going to turn any heads today.  Hopefully we get a few good surprises but unfortunately the only surprises we are getting are bad.  Just guess I'll have to learn to lower my expectations.  

Exactly Dan.  I'm not disappointed bc we aren't pulling top 10 classes or even top 25 classes.  But right now, we are pulling about 60 and that's on the WORSE half out of ALL the D1 programs.  You guys get that right?  Look at some of the names ahead of us.  Considering our play on the field and location, there's no way in hell we should be losing kids from the Tampa Bay area right now and even within 6 hours driving distance to Tampa to schools who were worse than us the last two seasons and have a worse chance at making a BCS bowl game than we do.  We have great teachers in our coaching staff, but they are seriously lacking in recruiting.  

• Content Count:  1,757

I think we were 45th last year. We are 55th now and losing out on recruits, I dont see us even finishing as high as last year, which is pretty sad after all of the national exposure.

Dozer, I'm not talking about signing 5 star and 4 star guys, but you're seriously deluded if you can't look at this class and see MASSIVE deficiencies at numerous positions.  Especially at QB and WR.  If you don't think a 6'6'' WR who SMOKED the #2 team IN THE COUNTRY is worth a 4 star ranking, then you're CRAZY.  The biggest problem with rankings sometimes is that you can't see kids against great competition often to see what they are truly made of.  You can't say that with ANY of the kids on that Miami NW team as they play the best every year.  We've got NO ONE at WR now or in the future who can win a jump ball.  NOT ONE.  That means we will continue to SUCK in the redzone and continue to be very inconsistent with any pass over 20 yards.  That means 4 losses minimum with the schedules we have coming.

4 losses mean you don't sniff the top 25.

I think we were 45th last year. We are 55th now and losing out on recruits, I dont see us even finishing as high as last year, which is pretty sad after all of the national exposure.

Exactly.  I realize there's wiggle room in star rankings enough that the difference in actual talent can be the same between teams within 10 rankings or so, but to think we are recruiting the volume of talent to be within what the guys in the top 25 are getting is crazy to believe when you are ranked about 60.  The star rankings aren't "off" by that much...lol

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Dozer, I'm not talking about signing 5 star and 4 star guys, but you're seriously deluded if you can't look at this class and see MASSIVE deficiencies at numerous positions.  Especially at QB and WR.  If you don't think a 6'6'' WR who SMOKED the #2 team IN THE COUNTRY is worth a 4 star ranking, then you're CRAZY.  The biggest problem with rankings sometimes is that you can't see kids against great competition often to see what they are truly made of.  You can't say that with ANY of the kids on that Miami NW team as they play the best every year.  We've got NO ONE at WR now or in the future who can win a jump ball.  NOT ONE.  That means we will continue to SUCK in the redzone and continue to be very inconsistent with any pass over 20 yards.  That means 4 losses minimum with the schedules we have coming.

4 losses mean you don't sniff the top 25.

The only 4 star that we has a legit shot at today was streeter and everything post his visit here made it quite obvious it was going to be an uphill battle.  I think some people see a high profile recruit like streeter and lose their mind and forget how realistic our chances we're with him.  Other than his talk immediatley after the visit there wasn't much out there saying he would come here but only we were in the remaining schools he would be considering (streeter also attends the same church as shannon and his mom is a UM grad).  Same with Liuget one of his coaches signing to coach at UI has been talked about for months.  Now if that isn't a sign that he was going there i dont know what was.  I think people are getting all huffy and puffy over situations that they really didnt know that much about and where we truly stood with these kids.  Both we're reaches so to speak so i don't see the point in getting all upset about it.  If we close with Baker, BJ, and OJ this will easily be the best class we have signed and is still a big step in the right direction.  Also other than early playing time what reason would streeter have to come here over the U  (streeter mentioned in a radio interview  that the U was the only school he visited who had the most up to date equipment in their communications/mass communications department, with streeter being a smart kid who takes classes at a tech school for mass comm im willing to be that was a huge factor).  People need to have realistic expectations or else the will be let down year after year until we reach the true big time.     

• Content Count:  919

For all the chicken Little's out there, the class ratings DON'T MEAN THAT MUCH. 

Look at Kansas as an example.  Here's how their classes were rated since 2004 - 56, 57, 47, 78, and 44.  Didn't seem to stop them from finishing in the Top 10 last year. 

USF's ratings since 2004 - 45, 54, 56, 45, and 55. 

• Content Count:  4,879

Jeesh, now we will have to listen about how UCiF kicked our ass in recruiting for the next 365 days.   

Nah, they stop that stuff right after we put a whipping on them every year.

Archived