• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Green won't sign with Green and Gold

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I only said you moron in regards to meeting minimum academic standards, never used the word idiot. There are exceptions, but if you can barely scrape by with a minimum SAT, what is the likelihood you can learn a complex offense, and be confident enough of your knowledge to be able to concentrate on blitz pickups, snap counts etc...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

Back to the recruit: So its not that he wont sign with us, its more of he's not eligible academically?

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I only said you moron in regards to meeting minimum academic standards, never used the word idiot. There are exceptions, but if you can barely scrape by with a minimum SAT, what is the likelihood you can learn a complex offense, and be confident enough of your knowledge to be able to concentrate on blitz pickups, snap counts etc...

To be honest redfisher, I was an athletic exemption at Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO on a wrestling scholarship.  I think my high school GPA was 2.4 and I had a 21 ACT.  I started failing out of school  at FLC. I got great grades my first year on scholarship and my second year I blew out my ankle playing intramural basketball during the start of wrestling season and lost my scholarship (did something I was not allowed to do).  From there (after the ankle healed) I skied, I skied and I skied, oh and attended classes sometimes.  I went from a 3.48 GPA to right at a 2.0 with three straight bad semesters.  I ended up finishing up at USF after 6 years in the Navy and graduated with nearly a 4.0 GPA from USF in engineering and couldn't have gotten in without a community college AA degree (another exemption) since I did not meet entrance qualifications without it.  Call me Mr. Exemption, I believe in them and think that they give valuable people an opportunity in life they may not otherwise have.  See I WAS one of those morons who got smart, real smart.

• Content Count:  1,757

Thats a great story. Seriously, and it relates very much to this topic, and I completely understand what you are saying. I have been a season ticket holder for quite some time. I have no complaints. I in no way believe our team to be the dumbest out there, or that all our players are not qualified, or would never meet another teams academic standards ( such as UCF). I do not believe that to be true. It has seemed as though we have been lacking something between the ears for years. That has been my argument and I was in fact happy to see the Universities change in policy. That may not be everyones opinion, or it may be unpopular, but I feel as though it will be beneficial to us in the long run. As I said before, as long as these new rules are in line with the rest of the BCS conference teams, it seems it can only be a good thing.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Yeah, maybe I'm the outcast, but as a season ticket holder and an engineering graduate I really couldn't care less if the football players got all Fs in class.  I really wouldn't care if they even attended classes.  It's nice to see our name at the top of the athletics graduation rates.  So, why kick ourselves in the ass?

• Content Count:  1,894

yo red,honestly...your wrong about learning a complex system. If a kid is not book smart it doesn't mean he doesn't translate into a brilliant football player. If a kid who plays football and is really good and isn't good in school doesn't mean he cant learn plays and what he is suppose to do on the field.

• Content Count:  4,738

Yeah, maybe I'm the outcast, but as a season ticket holder and an engineering graduate I really couldn't care less if the football players got all Fs in class.  I really wouldn't care if they even attended classes.  It's nice to see our name at the top of the athletics graduation rates.  So, why kick ourselves in the ass?

im with you.  let the math team ace math competitions and our football team win National championships.  I didn't do great in school and expect no more from my football team.

• Content Count:  75

It's all about timing. IF the committee had told our staff this kid could not sign a month ago this wouldn't have been a problem. As lon as we are not handicapped with respect to other BCS schools we'll be allright. AND this committee needs to work ASAP on all oral committments so that if we can't sign them we can then go to plan B and same for the player.

• Content Count:  4,738

It's all about timing. IF the committee had told our staff this kid could not sign a month ago this wouldn't have been a problem. As lon as we are not handicapped with respect to other BCS schools we'll be allright. AND this committee needs to work ASAP on all oral committments so that if we can't sign them we can then go to plan B and same for the player.

not only should they have stepped months ago to tell CJL this, they should also let him know how far he is off.  They Jim can get on the phone let the recruit know that he needs to pull a couple A's in some bullshizzit classes that all high school seniors have.

• Content Count:  98

not only should they have stepped months ago to tell CJL this, they should also let him know how far he is off.  They Jim can get on the phone let the recruit know that he needs to pull a couple A's in some bullshizzit classes that all high school seniors have.

With all the money that's dedicated to recruiting, don't you think someone in the academics area in athletics has BEEN telling them who's borderline or not? Would the coaches just recruit blindly, with no guidance from their academics people as to admissibility?

Archived