• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Green won't sign with Green and Gold

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Green won’t sign with Green & Gold

Posted February 05, 2008 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Feb 05, 2008 at 08:35 PM

Palm Beach Gardens OL Justin Green, who verbally committed to the University of South Florida, will not sign with the Bulls Wednesday, the Palm Beach Post reported.

Palm Beach Gardens coach Kevin Fleury told the Post that USF called him Tuesday to inform him the 6-foot-4, 345-pound Green has not yet met the academic requirements to enroll in USF. But are holding a scholarship for him, if he meets the academic requirements at a later date.

Fleury told the Post that USF’s coaches were upset they learned of the situation from the school’s admission office less than 24 hours before Wednesday’s National Signing Day. Green was a first-team all-area selection.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Green won’t sign with Green & Gold

Posted February 05, 2008 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Feb 05, 2008 at 08:35 PM

Palm Beach Gardens OL Justin Green, who verbally committed to the University of South Florida, will not sign with the Bulls Wednesday, the Palm Beach Post reported.

Palm Beach Gardens coach Kevin Fleury told the Post that USF called him Tuesday to inform him the 6-foot-4, 345-pound Green has not yet met the academic requirements to enroll in USF. But are holding a scholarship for him, if he meets the academic requirements at a later date.

Fleury told the Post that USF’s coaches were upset they learned of the situation from the school’s admission office less than 24 hours before Wednesday’s National Signing Day. Green was a first-team all-area selection.

And so it begins  :'(

We dont need guys that cant even qualify at sub-USF standards.

We have guys like this on the team right now and they have all gotten in and met the requirements previously  >:D >:D  Leavitt has shown the commitment to these athletes that are close but may not quite be there on national signing day and they have ALL met the requirements, this new policy change will probably mean the loss of some recruits since other schools will sign them and wait for them to meet the requirements.

What we don't need is the special USF rules that are contrary to the majority of BCS level competition. 

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I cant imagine our academic standards just went over Boston College, Ohio State, Goergia Tech, Texas etc...

• Content Count:  4,738

I love USF but its not Harvard, we don't need it to be.

I cant imagine our academic standards just went over Boston College, Ohio State, Goergia Tech, Texas etc...

redfisher, nothing against you and I'm sorry if this sounds demeaning but please get informed about collegiate athletics.  All BCS level universties allow exemptions to incoming freshmen that are athletes.  Many require that you only meet NCAA eligibilty requirements which are well below that schools requirements for incoming freshmen.  Some conferences (Big East and ACC to name just two) require that you not allow any NCAA non-qualifiers and may have additional requirements (GPA, SAT or ACT scores, etc).  Beyond that, it is up to the representative school to establish how many special exemptions they allow to their own minimum standards for incoming freshmen.  All do this and most still allow a recruit to sign a letter of intent (LOI) even if they don't specifically meet the minimum requirements at LOI signing day.  In order to gain admittance to the university, however, that athlete must first meet the minimum eligibility requirements.  Leavitt has signed guys in the past on LOI day even if they were short of qualifying, like many BCS programs, and all have eventually met the requirements and have attended USF on their football scholarship.  He has never allowed a guy to sign and that guy has not met the requirements later in year because they have been close.  That is what he was doing with Green and for which the new committee said he couldn't sign him.  Understand?

• Content Count:  4,738

• Content Count:  1,757

hbryan, first off, thank you for speaking to me like a child. Secondly, as I stated before, it sounds like we have increased our academic standards over previous years. I think this is a good thing in the long run for both the football team and the university. If it turns out that we are holding our scholar-athletes to a higher standard then most other BCS universities then I will take exception. It will be interesting to see what happens to Green in the long run

hbryan, first off, thank you for speaking to me like a child. Secondly, as I stated before, it sounds like we have increased our academic standards over previous years. I think this is a good thing in the long run for both the football team and the university. If it turns out that we are holding our scholar-athletes to a higher standard then most other BCS universities then I will take exception. It will be interesting to see what happens to Green in the long run

Well I thought I was being thorough, not speaking to you like a child.  I think calling young men morons and idiots is a little overboad, don't ya think?

Archived