• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls sign 1 & 1 with UCiF knights for Footbull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Most of the annoying posters (from all good schools) came in when times were good and they never learned humility - look at UF.  The best UF fans were the ones that had to deal with the pre-spurrier era.

I completely understand the point you're making but using Gator fans as an example is a freaking joke. For as long as I can remember, which goes way back before Spurrier, they have NEVER had humility..... "Arrogance of Notre Dame with the tradition of Wake Forest".

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Of course CUSA helped us fill out our schedule in 2002, they kept us out that year.  Had they let us in we would not have needed the help. 

As for leaving 2 years later, are you suggesting we owed CUSA loyalty?  Did UCF show the MAC loyalty by leaving after a couple years?

The MAC couldn't blame us for leaving.  We were football only in a conference not in our geographical area.  Marshall on the other hand, royally pissed them off.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Of course CUSA helped us fill out our schedule in 2002, they kept us out that year.  Had they let us in we would not have needed the help. 

As for leaving 2 years later, are you suggesting we owed CUSA loyalty?  Did UCF show the MAC loyalty by leaving after a couple years?

The MAC couldn't blame us for leaving.  We were football only in a conference not in our geographical area.  Marshall on the other hand, royally pissed them off.

I don't blame UCF for leaving the MAC, however the original poster seemed to imlpy that USF did something wrong by leaving CUSA.  Every school has to do what is in their best long term interest.

• Content Count:  711

I don't blame UCF for leaving the MAC, however the original poster seemed to imlpy that USF did something wrong by leaving CUSA.  Every school has to do what is in their best long term interest.

Nobody really blamed USF for leaving...every school in CUSA would have done the same thing.  I think most (Memphis and ECU especially) were just upset with the choice.  UCF really needed to get all sports together...the BE was talking to UCF about a football only membership before BC left...but that would've left the other sports in limbo...and then...there weren't any promises of future other sports additions.  UCF declined the football only invite...then BC left.  UCF at the time had horrible basketball facilities and played ASUN level ball and the BE still wanted a FL presence.  USF obviously had an arena to support BE play and experience with having been in a stronger CUSA basketball league.  Made sense then...today, though...If it came down to it...I think UCF would've been taken...as well as USF.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

UCF at the time had horrible basketball facilities and played ASUN level ball

Now you have a nice facility, but you now play sub-ASUN level ball.

Is that progress?  ;)

UCF never declined a football only invite.  There was discussion about football only, but such an offer was never extended by the Big East. 

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

What he meant was they declined to consider it IF it would have been extended.  Hence the name UCiF.

• Content Count:  65

Actually, what I am implying is that the minute you left CUSA, you did nothing but talk trash about it.  There is even a poster that complains that USF should have been let in right away.  It was your first year in 1A.  They wanted you to get your feet wet a little bit.  Why do USF fans feel like the deserve anything without having to work for it?

As far as UCF leaving the MAC, MAC officials knew it was coming.  It was a temporary fix for both UCF and the MAC  We were football only, our closest school was in West Virginia, and a team even stomped and spit on our logo the Saturday after our invite was announced (we did score over 50 in the first half to shut them up though :) ).  That being said, most UCF fans know the MAC wasn't the greatest conference, but the best teams in the conference had some good talent (ie Ben Rothlisberger).  We respect what they have up there and thank them for giving us a home for a few seasons.  USF treats CUSA like the hot girl in High School that gets pregnant in college and dumps her because she can't lose the baby weight.  Then, runs around telling everyone how fat she was so he feels better about himself.  Then again, didn't you have a linebacker do something like that very recently...

All kidding aside, CUSA was the greatest thing in the world, according to USF fans.  Then they leave for the Big East and it became CDOA.  It just cracks me us that this "CDOA" is what gave you life.  You would be NOTHING without what CUSA did for you.  Do you honestly think that if you were in the Sunbelt, you would be where you are right now?  Most teams have to pay their dues - USF and UCONN started a program in the BCS (I know, USF had to wait, what 5 years, before they could recruit BCS).  That made things MUCH easier.  That is why I give FAU more credit because what they are doing is all being done in the Sunbelt.  How did USF do in CUSA?

Don't paint the CUSA as some country club where we showed up and wrecked it.  The conference was, and is, a mishmash of teams that had no other home, remnants of the old Metro and schools too good to drop down to the SunBelt.

USF administration has never bad mouthed CUSA, so I guess you are taking the comments of some internet posters as speaking for the school.  If Lee Roy Selmon or President Genshaft badmouthed CUSA let me know.

As for USF being in CUSA in 2002, every indication and meeting prior to 2001 was to allow us in that year.  Remember we were already in CUSA for every sport except football.  It was then that Souther Miss coach Bower made his "quality not quantity" comment and there was a successful move to keep us out a year more.  In return, we went 4-0 against the CUSA teams we played in 2002.  We went 5-3 in conference in 2003, and 3-5 on our way out of conference in 2004, so a total of 8-8 in the two years we were in the conference.  You guys won a conference that we did not, congrats.  However, when we were in it CUSA's best teams were Louisville and TCU with Southern Miss right there and Cincinnati was competitive also.  Only SMiss remains.  You can draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

CUSA didn't become CDOA because we left.  It became CDOA because the 3 most promising teams (USF, Louisville & Cincinnati) left.

When was the last time CUSA had a ranked team?  When the 3 teams were in it.

When was the last time CUSA played great bowl games?  When the 3 teams were in it.

It's CDOA now because the "best" team cannot even beat the seventh best team of the SEC.

Archived