• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls sign 1 & 1 with UCiF knights for Footbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

At the time, the 3 big losses were Louisville, Cincinnati and TCU.  USF made their talent jump as a result of the invite.

USF had the experience and facilities the UCF did not.  Should the landscape change, UCF is at the top of teams to make the jump up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

A lucky break changed the fortune of USF and its fans forever:  The Virginia legislature essentially threatened UVA with economic sanctions if they did not lobby the ACC to invite VATech.  USF was lucky that a 3rd opening became available in the BE.

However, it was not luck that USF pulled a BE invite.  We got invited to the BE because we were the best school available when a third opening came up.  As much as it hurts Knights fans to read this, USF always ran its program with an eye on the big time and UCF (until recently) ran a small time operation with regard to football.  USF's BE invite was right place (hard work) at the right time (thanks VA legislature).

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

A lucky break changed the fortune of USF and its fans forever:  The Virginia legislature essentially threatened UVA with economic sanctions if they did not lobby the ACC to invite VATech.  USF was lucky that a 3rd opening became available in the BE.

However, it was not luck that USF pulled a BE invite.  We got invited to the BE because we were the best school available when a third opening came up.  As much as it hurts Knights fans to read this, USF always ran its program with an eye on the big time and UCF (until recently) ran a small time operation with regard to football.  USF's BE invite was right place (hard work) at the right time (thanks VA legislature).

Well if VaTech had not gone then Syracuse may have, so an opening would probably wold have been there.  Remember we had to wait for BC to leave for us to be invited, so that there was never an imbalance of football/nonfootball schools in the Big East.

I do agree that we were the best available school, but it was not all on-the-field performance.  We had huge potential, we had good administrators who made good choices, we had Lee Roy Selmon as the face of the program (cannot be overstated), and we played with UL and Cincy who helped us along.

Well if VaTech had not gone then Syracuse may have, so an opening would probably wold have been there.  Remember we had to wait for BC to leave for us to be invited, so that there was never an imbalance of football/nonfootball schools in the Big East.

I do agree that we were the best available school, but it was not all on-the-field performance.  We had huge potential, we had good administrators who made good choices, we had Lee Roy Selmon as the face of the program (cannot be overstated), and we played with UL and Cincy who helped us along.

What you say in your second paragraph is exactly what I meant by hard work. . . people like Selmon and CJL toiled to build a "solid foundation".

With regard to Syracuse, they were one of the three initial ACC invites along with UM and BC and Syracuse straight up declined.  The ACC was not interested in VA Tech and was going to just take two teams.  VATech didn't want to be left behind so they called their people in the legislature and UVA reluctantly became the swing vote that would only vote BC and UM in if VATech got its ticket punched too. . . .  Sanjay, with regard to the third BE opening, we got lucky as hell.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

oops, I forgot about TCU.  Yes, the Horned Frogs were a great team (and ranked!) then, and they still are now.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Carolina, I was not aware that Syracuse declined the ACC.  I thought Virginia was forced to approve the deal only if VaTech was one of the teams included.  Since Miami and BC were leaving I thought they just swapped out Syracuse for VT. 

I agree we got lucky that all those events happened opening up a door that our administration was poised to take advantage of.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

Carolina, I was not aware that Syracuse declined the ACC.  I thought Virginia was forced to approve the deal only if VaTech was one of the teams included.  Since Miami and BC were leaving I thought they just swapped out Syracuse for VT. 

I agree we got lucky that all those events happened opening up a door that our administration was poised to take advantage of.

you are correct

I looked it up.  I am wrong.  The rumor that SU rejected ACC overtures is simply what SU tells themselves to get to sleep at night.

Luck had nothing to do with it.  We really are that good ;D

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Of course CUSA helped us fill out our schedule in 2002, they kept us out that year.  Had they let us in we would not have needed the help. 

As for leaving 2 years later, are you suggesting we owed CUSA loyalty?  Did UCF show the MAC loyalty by leaving after a couple years?

The MAC couldn't blame us for leaving.  We were football only in a conference not in our geographical area.  Marshall on the other hand, royally pissed them off.

I don't blame UCF for leaving the MAC, however the original poster seemed to imlpy that USF did something wrong by leaving CUSA.  Every school has to do what is in their best long term interest.

Nobody really blamed USF for leaving...every school in CUSA would have done the same thing.  I think most (Memphis and ECU especially) were just upset with the choice.  UCF really needed to get all sports together...the BE was talking to UCF about a football only membership before BC left...but that would've left the other sports in limbo...and then...there weren't any promises of future other sports additions.  UCF declined the football only invite...then BC left.  UCF at the time had horrible basketball facilities and played ASUN level ball and the BE still wanted a FL presence.  USF obviously had an arena to support BE play and experience with having been in a stronger CUSA basketball league.  Made sense then...today, though...If it came down to it...I think UCF would've been taken...as well as USF.

ftu/ou/oc  sucked in football for so long so  big east never considered them

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Of course CUSA helped us fill out our schedule in 2002, they kept us out that year.  Had they let us in we would not have needed the help. 

As for leaving 2 years later, are you suggesting we owed CUSA loyalty?  Did UCF show the MAC loyalty by leaving after a couple years?

The MAC couldn't blame us for leaving.  We were football only in a conference not in our geographical area.  Marshall on the other hand, royally pissed them off.

I don't blame UCF for leaving the MAC, however the original poster seemed to imlpy that USF did something wrong by leaving CUSA.  Every school has to do what is in their best long term interest.

Nobody really blamed USF for leaving...every school in CUSA would have done the same thing.  I think most (Memphis and ECU especially) were just upset with the choice.  UCF really needed to get all sports together...the BE was talking to UCF about a football only membership before BC left...but that would've left the other sports in limbo...and then...there weren't any promises of future other sports additions.  UCF declined the football only invite...then BC left.  UCF at the time had horrible basketball facilities and played ASUN level ball and the BE still wanted a FL presence.  USF obviously had an arena to support BE play and experience with having been in a stronger CUSA basketball league.  Made sense then...today, though...If it came down to it...I think UCF would've been taken...as well as USF.

ftu/ou/oc  sucked in football for so long so  big east never considered them

So you're saying from 1996-2003, we were god awful, right?  Sure we had some brutal scheduled games and plenty of near misses, but still had winning records in 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2002.  Once again, you really have no idea what you're talking about.  Stick to what you're good at:  Overcharging people for services they can't afford.

Archived