• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good prospect on USF's radar

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

They actually do, but they're not called athletic schollies.  I know, I had a load of them for baseball when I came out of highschool with a 4.5 gpa, IB diploma and a 1270 SAT.  I never once had anyone but a coach from those schools call me and talk about coming there.  They called them "leadership", "presidential" etc. scholarships which were even better bc if you were cut, you still got to keep going there.  Hence why their sports teams will never be up to par with more "athletic" minded universities.  Not only is your pool of potential players smaller, way smaller, but that initial offer they are pretty much stuck to live with.

Try to not toot your own horn online. We get it your are a Greek God. Not only a physical specimen athletically but a genius with an IQ of 170!!!

lol  I'm sorry as I didn't mean for it to come off that way, facts are facts.  If you knew me, you'd know I am the last to toot my own horn, only was stating that I had first hand experience as to how the system worked.  You might want to go see Dr. Stokes if he is still at USF and relax a little bit with a little aromatherapy session to ease that insecurity thing you got going on...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  500

No insecurities, you just came off soundling like Ron Burgandy and I was pointing it out.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

That SAT score had top be a mistype, remember they changed the scoring so 1060 is near the bottom of the bell curve. It's out of 2400 now

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think only the math and verbal are calculated for ncaa purposes.  Not sure they have determined how to factor in the written.  So the reported 1060 is probably out of 1600.

• Content Count:  4,501

My SAT was a 7 and I got into USF.

I know that SANJAY, but the Harvard scholarship is academic, no athletic scholaships in the IVY.

They had to have meant 2060

• Content Count:  4,016

I know that SANJAY, but the Harvard scholarship is academic, no athletic scholaships in the IVY.

They had to have meant 2060

doesn't matter joe...the academic allows to provide some type of grant-in-aid, but make no mistake those kids are there to play athletics, and most wouldn't even be close to receiving any academic scholarships had it not been for their athletic prowess.  The 4.3 GPA, depending on the classes, is what's important.

I know that Bien, but the Ivys don't change the admission standards or process for athletes. Just like any other student going to Harvard on a scholarship they must qualify to the same standards, which now includes the SAT out of 2400.  Even if it was out of 1600, you're not getting a kid who scored a 1060 going to Harvard.

• Content Count:  2,523

I know that Bien, but the Ivys don't change the admission standards or process for athletes. Just like any other student going to Harvard on a scholarship they must qualify to the same standards, which now includes the SAT out of 2400.  Even if it was out of 1600, you're not getting a kid who scored a 1060 going to Harvard.

Ivy league schools have ways around things just like regular universities, it's called affirmative action...

• Content Count:  4,016

Yes they do Joe...I know this for a fact.  They change their standards for athletics, and still give them academic scholarships.  I have a cousin I am very close with playing for Columbia right now, Andrew Shalbrack, he's a very good SS for them.  Had multiple offers to 1-AA, and a couple small pathetic 1-A teams like Buffalo.  A very bright young man, but he was a bit away from normal student standards...he got a full academic/athletic ride. 

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/ivy/stats-columbia.htm

I've got another instance of a player I know that went ivy league, and yet again the standards were well below average admissions.  None or stupid by any stretch and both would fit in at an Ivy League school, but entrance wise, as a normal student neither would have made it in, let alone received a scholarship.

I guess i see your point about the SAT, but it's clear this person is not including the essay part, and they're dealing with a 1600 composite.  Given the GPA, Harvard is a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY.

Archived