• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good prospect on USF's radar

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I understnd, but I worked at a school with D-IAA non-scholly football program and Harvard AD Robert Scalise Came to speak about the challenges of using academic scholarships as a way to fill the roster. The stats he gave us on the academic numbers of those one the fotball team wasn't close to 1060, in fact it was on par with the 1430 average the school had the time.

I know my former employer uses the new SAT for all academic schollys even those on the football team (only non scholly team at the school).

As he put it Harvard doesn't compromise when it come to atheletics and atheletes like most major universities do.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I understnd, but I worked at a school with D-IAA non-scholly football program and Harvard AD Robert Scalise Came to speak about the challenges of using academic scholarships as a way to fill the roster. The stats he gave us on the academic numbers of those one the fotball team wasn't close to 1060, in fact it was on par with the 1430 average the school had the time.

I know my former employer uses the new SAT for all academic schollys even those on the football team (only non scholly team at the school).

As he put it Harvard doesn't compromise when it come to atheletics and atheletes like most major universities do.

Maybe a 1430 based on the new scale, but that's a farce because I've known guys much closer to this kid's SAT score get into Ivy League Schools, with great GPA's of course, to play athletics.

You don't even know what that kid got his GPA in....if he has completed Calculus mathematics that is a mighty impressive GPA...and yes people can complete that and make a 1460 on an SAT if the scale is 1600, removing the essay portion- especially as a minority.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Maybe you've known guys, but feel free to call Harvard, no one is getting an academic scholly for athletics with a 1060 SAT.

They might get into the school as a minority who would play football with a 4.3 GPA (ivy looks at unweighted GPAs to begin with). But he's not getting a scholly. Usually in that case they'll do all their FAFSA paperwork, find some other grants, but not a scholly from the school.

I'm still skeptical of a 1060, the 1430 was on the old scale and a 1430 on the new scale is awful...

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no one got into harvard with a 1060 sat in the modern era

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe you've known guys, but feel free to call Harvard, no one is getting an academic scholly for athletics with a 1060 SAT.

They might get into the school as a minority who would play football with a 4.3 GPA (ivy looks at unweighted GPAs to begin with). But he's not getting a scholly. Usually in that case they'll do all their FAFSA paperwork, find some other grants, but not a scholly from the school.

I'm still skeptical of a 1060, the 1430 was on the old scale and a 1430 on the new scale is awful...

Ok Joe....whatever...Harvard sets the rules and with athletics there are no hard and fast acceptance rules.  That you've clearly admitted too.  The kid has a GPA to suggest he is an exception, and no one just mentions Harvard, they have to have spoken to them and been pre-qualified (you do realize that NCAA schools can't even accept a kid for a visit without their transcripts being sent to the Clearinghouse, and Harvard wouldn't offer a kid an academic scholarship without seeing those too).....SO given the fact I know youngsters that have been admitted into Ivy League schools on academic schollies with special admittance policies, and this kid is mentioning he's talking with Harvard and they've offered, given the fact he has a 4.3 GPA, it would seem Harvard has made a very thorough inspection of his eligibility and deemed him acceptable.  As for the SAT score, it came from a reporter so who knows the accuracy since Harvard has offered a scholarship, but if that reporter is using the 1600 scale without the essay, and given his GPA it's highly likely that was acceptable.

Thank goodness you and steve are experts though.  Luckily the kid is relying on Harvard to decide.

Archived