• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

O'leary makes a great point, but I still don't understand why you would want to have a guy on your team that doesn't want to be there.

If he relents, people will think UCF had dirty hands in this matter.  Seriously, this is nothing more than a school's fans and boosters recruiting a kid that has an LOI to another school. Amazed to see the UCF haters rationalize a way to blame UCF for this BS.

If this is cool, we might as well call Josh Grady . . . . . because his LOI to Vandy is apparently meaningless.

+1

it's amazing what green and gold shades can do where only UCF is all in the wrong here ::). It is clear Louisville boosters, fans, and maybe coaches have harassed him after national signing day. Is it easy to prove? probably not but if anyone has followed this kid's recruitment and how Louisville fans reacted online and through their media when he put that UCF hat on, you know they are nuts and tampered with his recruitment. Oleary's quotes about him being fine when he visits UCF( a few times) but how 'things change when he goes back up there' is basically admitting he is taking a lot of heat in his hometown. I've never seen a fanbase as bitter and myopic as Louisville over 1 recruit who may never amount to anything.

Too funny, you rail against the use of green and gold goggles, but then use the strongest set of black and gold goggles to blame Ville for this.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Personally, I'm glad to see O'Liar take the stance he is.  In this case, by making these kinds of public statements, O'Liar is going to create so much animosity in the locker room, that this is going to create a lot of problems for him and the team later down the road, by making the kid hate the school, and the entire team will hate the kid.  O'Liar's also choosing to accuse Ville of complicity in this, thereby creating animosity with other leaders within the BE, thereby limiting any possibility of getting a BE invite.

Keep up the good work George!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  259
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I'm glad to see O'Liar take the stance he is.  In this case, by making these kinds of public statements, O'Liar is going to create so much animosity in the locker room, that this is going to create a lot of problems for him and the team later down the road, by making the kid hate the school, and the entire team will hate the kid.  O'Liar's also choosing to accuse Ville of complicity in this, thereby creating animosity with other leaders within the BE, thereby limiting any possibility of getting a BE invite.

Keep up the good work George!

He isn't going to step foot on that campus in the summer/fall.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

O'leary makes a great point, but I still don't understand why you would want to have a guy on your team that doesn't want to be there.

If he relents, people will think UCF had dirty hands in this matter.  Seriously, this is nothing more than a school's fans and boosters recruiting a kid that has an LOI to another school. Amazed to see the UCF haters rationalize a way to blame UCF for this BS.

Where am I rationalizing anything? Reading comprehension much?

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I found this interesting from the UCF beat writer. I know it has been said and speculated before but I don't recall anyone coming right out and reporting how they use the BE angle to better their recruiting and have been doing it for a long time.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2011/03/join-our-ucf-athletics-live-chat-at-1-p-m-thursday.html

Iliana: When I talked with former UCF players for an article about Gene Chizik following the national championship, they all said coaches told them during the recruiting process UCF was going to the Big East. It's been part of the recruiting pitch for a long time. More recently, I think UCF coaches have been careful to say it's a strong possibility and they think it will happen. I haven't gotten the impression that it is UCF's top selling.

A group of former Knights who played for Mike Kruczek told me they were told by his staff UCF would be in the Big East soon.

Wow.  Talk about lame.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I don't think UCF or any other school should let the kid go.  Not to punish the kid,  but to protect the program.  Recruiting has to end when a kid signs,  Not blaming this on Louisville the school,   but recruiting pressures never ended with smith.  Whether it was just friends,  local fans, or friends of the program and booster's is another question.  If it was  booster's and it came out the Ncaa would have no choice but to penalize UL.  Would it be Ul's fault??  No..  but it wouldn't be the first nor last time boosters got a program in trouble.   

These are kids...any person that says 'to protect the program' when it comes to a kid not wanting to go their school and wants to force him needs to get a life.  That person is far to tightly wound up on this recruiting trip that is college athletics.  Get off the boat, decompress, and get a life is what I have to say.

I'd have had a modicum of understanding with UCF's plight had they not trekked all the way up to Louisville to fight for this kid knowing good and well he was committed to UL.  They forcibly, and possibly coercively, fooled the boy into believing UCF was a better place.  This is a child's life, and people are pathetic that deal with it like it is a 'gotcha game'.  These coaches are dealing with it like it's a high powered business deal, and putting immense pressure on these kids, and then we want to blame the children!?!!  Talk about exploitive. 

I never was for these kids getting paid but after hearing so many on this thread want to refer to this kid as some type of commodity, and how the programs are more important then the child's well-being....it makes me cringe...really it does.  This is still a kid that made a dumb decision under extreme duress, and possibly with two sides lying significantly to him to make him make a rash choice.  He's a poor kid, with limited means, and they took advantage of that ignorance and now tell him to bad.  Jeez if so much is riding on this kid's decision then I think the NCAA should re-think about paying these kids income.  We're exploiting them beyond belief, and then telling them when things don't go how they planned, or if the school lied to them..."TO BAD!"

I hope this blows up in UCiF's face, in O'Liar and all his double dealing face, and in college football's face.  Call the kid what you want but it was a tough decision, if he regrets it the NCAA should allow him out with no penalty if he can show reason, at worst he should be allowed out and be allowed to go to whatever school he wants providing he must sit a year.  Be humane O'Liar shouldn't have the right to decide this child's fate like he is a deity and can bargain and parcel with this kid's livelihood.  The NCAA should give no school or coach that kind of power.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

UCF doing the right thing here. You can't set a precedent that your signed commits can still be recruited. Each one of these kids cost a lot of time and money to bring in and sign. Plus UCF has 2 QBs now on their roster, both only 2nd year guys. I know he won't be going to UCF anyhow, and prob goes JUCO or prep or something.

Your post is ridiculous on many levels.

1.  It is an NCAA violation for a school to recruit signed players.  No school would attempt such a thing.

2.  If you suggest boosters would do it, that is also illegal, and could render the player ineligible depending on the circumstances.

3.  UCF has a recruiting budget that is set aside each year.  Each year they spend in excess of $300k in recruiting, like all schools, to suggest recruiting Smith was excessive, or they spent an inordinate amount of money on him then others is asinine, and depending on it an NCAA violation too.  UCF was going to spend that money whether Smith ever signed or not, it's like when a sales company budgets travel expenses for their sales staff....it's getting spent one way or another.

4.  Also I forgot where UCF was required to travel to Louisville and recruit Smith, who was already committed...they did that on their own fruition.  No one forced them, they picked him to see.  So it's no one's fault they picked a kid that was more work and further away.  When can USF go after kids that decommit?  We spend the same amount of money?  Shouldn't Louisville have the same beef as you?  They spent money too on Smith...but the opportunity costs only matter to the thief, and not the victim?  Now that there is buyers remorse O'Liar cries foul but failed to consider UL's opportunity costs in recruiting Smith before? 

5.  Lastly it is funny you admit UCF has two QB's and second year guys...so why did Smith commit to UCF suddenly after being so ardently for UL for a period of longer than a year.  It had quite a few people scratching their heads in KY, and FL.  Within a month of signing day the kid suggested to all he was lied too, and the circumstance you're explaining certainly seems to add credence to his position.

Guest nybullsfan

I hope this blows up in UCiF's face, in O'Liar and all his double dealing face, and in college football's face.  Call the kid what you want but it was a tough decision, if he regrets it the NCAA should allow him out with no penalty if he can show reason, at worst he should be allowed out and be allowed to go to whatever school he wants providing he must sit a year.  Be humane O'Liar shouldn't have the right to decide this child's fate like he is a deity and can bargain and parcel with this kid's livelihood.  The NCAA should give no school or coach that kind of power.

This is what's going to happen.

Yah, he's a "kid" but he needs to learn that there are consequences to his actions. Maybe he won't be so quick to sign a binding contract in the future.

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471

Seriiously being a UL fan I could care less at this point.  If the kid stays at UCF more power to him and I wish him well.  If not then good luck to him where ever he goes.