• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Oracle's article on the Moffitt situation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

This is the most informative news story on this situation.  Article here ->  Despite accusations, investigation of Moffitt unlikely

The most important piece of information I found in this article are these statements from University spokesman Ken Gullette:

Despite the allegations, University spokesman Ken Gullette said that USF is considering the matter a "domestic issue that is being played out in the media" and will only get involved if one of Moffitt's former professors comes forward with accusations as well.

"In any situation, if a professor feels like a grade was earned inappropriately, the professor would then institute a judicial process that would follow up on the suspicions," Gullette said. "The only time an investigation would be launched is if there was suspicion of widespread abuse."

Gullette went on to say that unless someone came forward with accusations of a widespread violation, any investigation conducted by the school would remain confidential.

"If any student was ever the subject of such a thing, if a professor suspected any academic misconduct and initiated judicial action it would be confidential," Gullette said. "I wouldn't even hear about it because student information and records are confidential and any type of action would be as well."

So despite whatever Moffitt's wife was trying to achieve by going public with this dispute, unless a USF professor felt that Moffitt was cheating or did not write his own papers, USF will not investigate her accusations.  They would only investigate the matter if it was widespread abuse, and she never claimed to write papers for anyone else on the team.

Even if USF did investigate Moffitt, the investigation and any actions against Moffitt would be confidential.  Therefore no one, press or anyone else in the public. would know if Moffitt cheated or if she was lying per information from USF.  Parties outside of USF may leak that information, but USF cannot.

Remember when a large number of people ganged up on the Oracle because they felt it was unfairly reporting on the team?  Well now it looks like the Oracle has the most level-headed and non-sensationalist article on this Moffitt situation.  In my book:  USF Oracle > Tampa Tribune > St. Pete Times.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

In my book:  USF Oracle > Tampa Tribune > St. Pete Times.

Also in my book, when it comes to doing a crossword I could finish and finding coupons to Gumbys:  USF Oracle > Tampa Tribune > St. Pete Times

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

kudos to the Oracle.

they actually did some research and investigated the possible ramifications of the situation, instead of arbitrarily publishing the unsubstantiating mudslinging of an angry, estranged wife.

• Content Count:  5,241

Plus, they put up another video of leavitt painting himself, which I find hilarious.

http://usforacleonline.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=330

• Content Count:  7,201

something to keep in mind.  If she tries to make the academic misconduct an issue during the divorce (ie I worked, took care of kids, and did my hubby's homework) then it will play out in the court system - where it will be a matter of public record.  So, while the Universities records are confidential, that of the court system are not and this issue will possibly come out in detail.

• Content Count:  7,201

Also State and Local employees are under the Sunshine Laws and their email is required to be made available to the press upon request.  I am not sure, but I bet that carries over to USF personnel (state employees) too. 

• Content Count:  98

It does not matter what USF does, it only matters what the NCAA wants to do.  If they choose to look into it, USF will have to reply.  I think it is foolish for USF not to look into this.  They don't need to make it public or even admit they are looking into it, but to act as if nothing happened, even if nothing did, is not good leadership.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

UCiF fans do agree on this, that is for sure.  If Mrs. Moffitt did not email the NCAA, someone from UCiF will (based on past experience).

• Content Count:  1,797

Ben's academic issues are protected by FERPA which is a Federal law.  Under the 14th Amendment, Federal law supersedes state law, so the Florida Sunshine law will not apply in academic privacy issues.  One thing that Mrs. Moffitt needs to be concerned about is using a state computer for non-work related activities and also possibly using work time to do Ben's work that she claims to have done.  Also, Mrs. Moffitt's sister who is a teacher and has reportedly admitted falsifying state documents (the school observation form from the College of Education) could potentially constitute a violation of the state ethics code for teachers.  These ladies need some intelligent counsel before they get themselves in trouble.  I am not taking sides here, because I don't know what has happened, I am only commenting on the published reports so far.

Normal

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Ben's academic issues are protected by FERPA which is a Federal law.  Under the 14th Amendment, Federal law supersedes state law, so the Florida Sunshine law will not apply in academic privacy issues.  One thing that Mrs. Moffitt needs to be concerned about is using a state computer for non-work related activities and also possibly using work time to do Ben's work that she claims to have done.  Also, Mrs. Moffitt's sister who is a teacher and has reportedly admitted falsifying state documents (the school observation form from the College of Education) could potentially constitute a violation of the state ethics code for teachers.  These ladies need some intelligent counsel before they get themselves in trouble.  I am not taking sides here, because I don't know what has happened, I am only commenting on the published reports so far.

Normal

I'm sure as the two ladies were spilling their guts about this, they were being made aware of what this could do to their respective careers by their interviewer(s)...

Archived