• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

K. Smith and Joe Burnett going Pro

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think it should have been easy decision and he seemed to handle it all the right way.  He deflected the attention going into the bowl game and he declared early enough for them to still recruit the position.

Smart decision.  More than likely he wouldn't have had as good a year.  As a team they won their Conference championship. That's reealistically as far as they are going as a non BCS team.  He's going out on top there.  When he has accomplished what he did this year, all he should do is look at what happened to Michael Bush.  The decision shopuld have been easy considering the number of carries they give him.  Same with Ray Rice.  A RB only has so many miles of wear and tear.  At some point all those carries will catch up to him.  He's better off preserving the body and extending a year or two when he's getting paid rathe than using himself up and losing a couple of years of NFL paychecks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Smart move by him as the risk of injury and what he would stand to lose if he came back far outweighs what he could gain by returning to UCF with all players they are losing.  Another season of 30 or more carries week in and week out would be risking everything he's been working hard for since he started playing football. 

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

So who is gonna be the RB now that Kevin Smith is gone?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

So who is gonna be the RB now that Kevin Smith is gone?

Probably Phillip Smith unless they have some freshman rb's that can beat him out ...

• Content Count:  4,879

Why stay?  To go back to Memphis?  Once is 2 times too many.

• Content Count:  98

I think Kevin going pro is the best thing for him to do and I also think it will be a benefit to UCF as well.  Kevin will be a second round pick at worst and that means at least a $1,000,000 signing bonus along with a three or four year contract.  Good for him, running backs normally don't go very high with the exception of maybe the top one. 

UCF will now be forced to use the playmakers they have at WR and they have several very good ones.  UCF's offensive line is solid, not great, but good enough to give protection to either Weatherford or whomever steps in.  UCF will not be able to so predictable, something that should help them dramatically.  Also, I have no doubt that George O'Leary will not find another good RB, he has had one every where he has coached.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

From USF experience, all the playmaking WRs don't mean anything if the QB cannot consistently get them the bowl.

Also, nothing in GOL history at UCF shows the ability to use playmaking WRs, see Marshall and Walker.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think Kevin going pro is the best thing for him to do and I also think it will be a benefit to UCF as well.  Kevin will be a second round pick at worst and that means at least a $1,000,000 signing bonus along with a three or four year contract.  Good for him, running backs normally don't go very high with the exception of maybe the top one. 

UCF will now be forced to use the playmakers they have at WR and they have several very good ones.  UCF's offensive line is solid, not great, but good enough to give protection to either Weatherford or whomever steps in.  UCF will not be able to so predictable, something that should help them dramatically.  Also, I have no doubt that George O'Leary will not find another good RB, he has had one every where he has coached.

What makes you say second round at worst?  Supposebly O'Leary made some calls and found at 3rd - 4th round pick.  I would think that sounds about right.  I could see him going maybe as early as 2nd or even later than 4th. 

• Content Count:  2,239

What makes you say second round at worst?  Supposebly O'Leary made some calls and found at 3rd - 4th round pick.  I would think that sounds about right.  I could see him going maybe as early as 2nd or even later than 4th. 

I'll take ESPN's projections over yours.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I'll take ESPN's projections over yours.

Just remember that hes not such a for sure thing that he can just pass on the combine.  A bad combine or workout and he could easily drop into the 3rd-4th round especially coming from such a weak conference.  NFL scouts are fickle. 

Archived