• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How do NCAA sanctions work?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

Here's an article to stir the pot:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/04/ben-moffits-divorce-may-hurt-usf-almost-as-much-as-his-children/

Can you say major NCAA violations?

If she puts these in court filings and explanations, the NCAA has a cakewalk of an investigation. Just making the allegations probably has USF facing lots of scrutiny from the NCAA. Especially after FSU just had the online test cheating scandal result in suspending players as punishment. Here you have a player accused of cheating to stay eligible.

From forfeiting games, scholarship losses, lots of other restrictions and all sorts of negative publicity. The Bulls are not some sort of established program that could quickly recover from this.

South Florida has quickly become a major player in the Big East and a substantive factor in Florida collegeiate football. They haven't arrived at the level of Florida, Miami and Florida State, but they are closer to those programs than they are to UCF, FAU and FIU. This sort of scandal could knock them the other way.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/04/ben-moffits-divorce-may-hurt-usf-almost-as-much-as-his-children/

If she puts these in court filings and explanations, the NCAA has a cakewalk of an investigation. Just making the allegations probably has USF facing lots of scrutiny from the NCAA. Especially after FSU just had the online test cheating scandal result in suspending players as punishment. Here you have a player accused of cheating to stay eligible.

From forfeiting games, scholarship losses, lots of other restrictions and all sorts of negative publicity. The Bulls are not some sort of established program that could quickly recover from this.

South Florida has quickly become a major player in the Big East and a substantive factor in Florida collegeiate football. They haven't arrived at the level of Florida, Miami and Florida State, but they are closer to those programs than they are to UCF, FAU and FIU. This sort of scandal could knock them the other way.

If there was a systemic problem with this then yes, sanctions could be headed our way.  I doubt very much whether that happens.  Just people trying to stir stuff up.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If there was a systemic problem with this then yes, sanctions could be headed our way.  I doubt very much whether that happens.  Just people trying to stir stuff up.

Yeah this is one player in a situation where the coaches and administration couldn't have known that the alleged cheating was taking place. 

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

We will be fine.

If USC isnt on probation yet, then we'll be fine.

Yeah true, but then again did the coaches KNOW that Reggie Bush was getting some sweet benefits?

USC could have all of their players go bomb New York City and they still wouldn't get sanctions, same with Ohio State.

Ohio State got busted in basketball and lost their 1999 Final Four appearance for using an ineligible player.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

This whole f-in thread is stupid. 

This is one player, whose wife helped him cheat (allegedly).  This is not the entire athletics program cheating like FSU.

Will it be investigated yes.  Who will get in trouble, he will, he probably won't get a degree (so what if you are headed to the NFL). 

If USF did not support him in doing these alleged deeds, and if it is not a SYSTEMIC issue across the board (ie multiple players) then it is not an issue.  I am doubtul that Mrs Moffitt was doing papers for the entire team.  Who knows, like one person posted maybe she was just typing up her notes and spell checking (she said he cannot spell).  That doesn't mean he didn't write the papers. 

This could just be a case of sour grapes on her part.  Fine, leave me, I'll make some strong allegations.  If I cannot have you, then I'll make your life a miserable he!!. 

Why are we talking about USF having sanctions and being crapped on.  This is ONE player.  ONE instance of cheating.  It will get dealt with on an individual basis.  Entire programs DO NOT GET sanctions if only one person has done something improper.  PERIOD, END OF SENTENCE...

It is funny how these threads get so out of hand....

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Just because something is written and on the internet, does not mean it has any bearing with reality at all.

I mean, just look at some of our posts.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

Hehe I just asked a question since I had no idea how things work.  What makes one school get in trouble and what makes another school OK?  That's all the question was.

• Content Count:  139

This is a good thread because NCAA sanctions are worth discussing. Becasue of this "airing of dirty laundry" USF athletics will be put uner a microscope by the NCAA for any violations. It makes the whole University look cheap to the casual observer reading the paper. We dodn't need this.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

USC could have all of their players go bomb New York City and they still wouldn't get sanctions, same with Ohio State.

That's probably true...but if you are an Div II or Div III school and the NCAA finds some violations in your swimming or track & field program, the NCAA will drop the HAMMER on your program.

Football??

NCAA: (Played by Srgt Shultz) "I see nothin'...nothin'!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Incredibull and others,

The NCAA can hurt an entire prgram for one player. They aren't likely to do so.

As for USC, they like in this case have no proof that anyone at the athletic department had knowledge.

I wouldn't worry

Archived