• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In defense of Greg...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Greg has done a great job covering the Bulls, just as Ben Moffitt had done a great job being a father/husband/Bull....anything can happen and "doing great" doesn't always last forever.  I'm assuming at some point Ben's behavior warranted the accolades, just as Greg's work did.  To dabble in "opther women" or "tabloid talk" is a bad mark on each.

tabloid sells and is where it is at in newspaper and tv business in this day and age

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

As someone who has to deal with sportswriters all the time, you are very jaded Colby

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

So to all of you that think this was not something to be reported - should the "Moffit is such a hero, he drives 4,000 miles each way every day while supporting his wife and kids and playing football and taking 72 credit hours" stories never have been used either? Or is it only appropriate when it makes him seem more heroic? He can exploit it to make himself look better, but we aren't allowed to question it?

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

So to all of you that think this was not something to be reported - should the "Moffit is such a hero, he drives 4,000 miles each way every day while supporting his wife and kids and playing football and taking 72 credit hours" stories never have been used either? Or is it only appropriate when it makes him seem more heroic? He can exploit it to make himself look better, but we aren't allowed to question it?

I don't think those stories should be written either. Whats the difference if he drives 4000 miles a day or 4? He made contributions on the field for the Bulls, and was a good teammate and is a good person it doesn't matter how far he drives. Greg is a sports writer, not a Teen People writer or at least that is supposedly the case. Judging by his articles though i'm sure he has other career ambitions though maybe Star will come calling.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

There is another possibility here that I haven't seen explored.  It could be that Greg really is as good a guy as many believed him to be before writing the story.  It could be that he really agonized or at least wrestled with whether to write the story.  Could be that he still does.  I don't know what kind of pressures that he deals with as far as his editor or others making demands upon him.  I also know firsthand from dealing with another publication that the story that a writer turns in can be altered by an editor without the writer knowing it.  What if Greg balked at writing the story and was made to do it or get fired?  I think he realizes the hit he will take with Leavitt.  Can he even be successful at this job in the future or will his being barred from Leavitt's Circle of Trust cost him his job anyway?  I would hate to live with that stress on me.

I am withholding judgment on the Moffitts as I don't have all the information.  It is the only decent thing to do.  I will do the same for Greg.  I really don't gain anything by condemning them anyway, except maybe a cheap shot of superiority.

And my wife usually extinguishes that quickly! ;D  Just kidding, honey!  Um, no I don't know the phone number for the St. Pete Times...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

So to all of you that think this was not something to be reported - should the "Moffit is such a hero, he drives 4,000 miles each way every day while supporting his wife and kids and playing football and taking 72 credit hours" stories never have been used either? Or is it only appropriate when it makes him seem more heroic? [glow=yellow,2,300]He can exploit it to make himself look better[/glow], but we aren't allowed to question it?

Just exactly how did Ben exploit that?

• Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

So to all of you that think this was not something to be reported - should the "Moffit is such a hero, he drives 4,000 miles each way every day while supporting his wife and kids and playing football and taking 72 credit hours" stories never have been used either? Or is it only appropriate when it makes him seem more heroic? [glow=yellow,2,300]He can exploit it to make himself look better[/glow], but we aren't allowed to question it?

Just exactly how did exploit that?

If he knew it wasn't true, if he knew that his marriage was on the rocks, he probably shouldn't have granted all those interviews and photo shoots throughout the season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

If he knew it wasn't true, if he knew that his marriage was on the rocks, he probably shouldn't have granted all those interviews and photo shoots throughout the season.

Maybe I'm wrong but to me, exploit means to get something out of it ..... What exactly did Ben gain by those interviews and photo shoots?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I can't believe people forbid excuses for Mr. Moffitt but make excuses for media members that don't vet or research their own reports.  The locals were pushed info from Wifey and made a decision to be the first to be published, throwing all caution to the wind.  Had they really done the work weeks ago as implied, they would have stopped with all the feel good Mr. Moffitt stories a long time ago.

Mistakes are made in this case, there are plenty to go around.  No one should be defended, they should stand or fall on their own merit.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Maybe I'm wrong but to me, exploit means to get something out of it ..... What exactly did Ben gain by those interviews and photo shoots?

A boost to his ego? A little extra attention on nationally televised games that the whole country is watching? Who knows what the benefit is in his eyes, but he knew it wasn't true and didn't put a stop to it, so he must have felt like he was getting something.

I can't believe people forbid excuses for Mr. Moffitt but make excuses for media members that don't vet or research their own reports.  The locals were pushed info from Wifey and made a decision to be the first to be published, throwing all caution to the wind.  Had they really done the work weeks ago as implied, they would have stopped with all the feel good Mr. Moffitt stories a long time ago.

Mistakes are made in this case, there are plenty to go around.  No one should be defended, they should stand or fall on their own merit.

This is an honest question, I have no idea what the answer is. Did Greg really write any "feel-good" stories on Moffitt during the time he says he was working on the story?

Archived