• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Moffitt - WOW!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  0

I just heard about what happened with Moffitt and my jaw dropped.  I actually saw him as one of the few character bright spots on the team. 

Do you think anything is going to come of this?  I know divorces happen all the time and this one sounds like it will get nasty and is none of anyone else's business.  But if the allegations of her taking courses and writing papers for him are true (if she did it just one time, then it could mean trouble), then what is to come of USF's 2008 campaign? 

USF football program has been STELLAR in 2007 beginning with Grothe bartending at a booster's bar.  USF looks to be heading down the same path UCF did before Kruz left and UM did before Davis came in...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

I just heard about what happened with Moffitt and my jaw dropped.

Pretty sure that's the reaction of most everybody who saw the article. 

Do you think anything is going to come of this?  I know divorces happen all the time and this one sounds like it will get nasty and is none of anyone else's business.  But if the allegations of her taking courses and writing papers for him are true (if she did it just one time, then it could mean trouble), then what is to come of USF's 2008 campaign?

Will turn into a "he said/she said" thing so who knows. Not sure how that could be proven ...

USF looks to be heading down the same path UCF did before Kruz left and UM did before Davis came in...

Actually, we're right in between paths. We've won some big games, unlike UCF under Kruz but haven't won enough big games, unlike UM before Davis.

• Content Count:  2,239

I just heard about what happened with Moffitt and my jaw dropped.  I actually saw him as one of the few character bright spots on the team. 

USF football program has been STELLAR in 2007 beginning with Grothe bartending at a booster's bar.  USF looks to be heading down the same path UCF did before Kruz left and UM did before Davis came in...

When I first saw the subject line, I was expecting some below the belt smack.  The last time he and his wife were brought up, some uncool things were said. /mod talk

The man's business is his own.  I don't know the rules well enough to know if his wife's actions are a violation.  If they are, I don't know how severe the infraction is.  I don't think it will be overly serious since he can't be suspended at this point.  Maybe a year or two probation for the school or a lost scholarship.

• Content Count:  118

This is a very interesting situation that none of us know all the facts about.

I am looking at the POTENTIAL implications of this and motives of his wife. 

I am wondering if this is being done, especially the part about the cheating, in an attempt to get half of his NFL earnings in the future.  She could argue that if it was not for her contributions and actions, the money would not be his and she is entiled to half. 

If it is true that he has been a deadbeat and leaving her without financial or support otherwise for the last 2 months then he deserves ever bit of this and I hope she continues to push the issue.

As far as Ben, this won't effect him as much as it COULD effect USF.  I agree that USF can not be held fully responsibile if Ben as an individual chose to cheat and they did not know about it.  I would imagine they did not know, if it is true at all.  HOWEVER, if it is determined that he was ineligble due to cheating from the beginning of his career, the team COULD be required to forfeit all games that he played in.  This is probably unlikely, but still a possibilty and has happened to teams before. 

What this surely will do is put a negative image of USF in the minds of the NCAA.  Hardship waivers and future violations will be looked at closer I would imagine.  It will be interesting to see how this ends up.  If his wife continues to insist she did his work and can verify it to the NCAA, I don't think it will be good for USF.

With that said, I see this as blowing over or her withdrawing statements.  I just hope this never happens to UCF.  I really do think that USF and the fan base is worried about this one.  There is nothing like deadbeat dad press and another "cheating scandal" to bring a negative image to a school.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

If 30+ FSU players didn't cause FSU to forfeit even one game, be put on probation or lose a scholarship, I seriously doubt that the NCAA would make us forfeit every game Moffitt had played in (what, like 40+ games?!?!).  Then again, the NCAA is more fickle than Rosie O'Donnell at a Baskin Robins store.  And the NCAA can do what it wants.

If the allegations are true, then this sucks for Ben.  USF should be okay.

• Content Count:  65

Wonder if the media realizes that since she is a public employee her home computer is public record (if she has ever read a work email or done any work from her home computer.) 

Wonder if the media realizes that since she is a public employee her home computer is public record (if she has ever read a work email or done any work from her home computer.)   

Not completely true.  The records on the computer that are work related are public records, but not the personal items.

If 30+ FSU players didn't cause FSU to forfeit even one game, be put on probation or lose a scholarship, I seriously doubt that the NCAA would make us forfeit every game Moffitt had played in (what, like 40+ games?!?!).  Then again, the NCAA is more fickle than Rosie O'Donnell at a Baskin Robins store.  And the NCAA can do what it wants.

Well, first off, the NCAA is not finished with the FSU situation yet I am sure.  They could still have FSU forfeit games.  I do agree though that it is not likely they will require USF to forfeit games, but it IS a possibiilty based on the rules of the NCAA and eligibilty.  It will be hard to prove the cheating actually did occur.

• Content Count:  2,239

As said above, the FSU issue is long from over.  Remember, some penalties are done years down the road...such as Michigan losing their Fab Five Final Four due to infractions over a decade later.  While we know they played, record books and trophies say otherwise.

It could be months before we know anything about what the NCAA might or might not do.  If USF is smart, they will do an internal investigation first and self-report any violations.

Archived