• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone want to defend Gregory?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

56 Points people.

56 Points people.

56 Points people. 

Irrelevant point people.

Irrelevant point people.

Irrelevant point people.

Mid Atlantic Bull likes pointing fingers during losses, instead of accepting that we weren't any good.  MAB, if you know of an OC that averages 57 ppg, than be sure and tell the USF administration about it, and I'm sure they'll consider him.  But until you find one in the NCAAs or NFL, try making a point once in a while.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

56 Points people.

56 Points people.

56 Points people. 

Irrelevant point people.

Irrelevant point people.

Irrelevant point people.

Mid Atlantic Bull likes pointing fingers during losses, instead of accepting that we weren't any good.  MAB, if you know of an OC that averages 57 ppg, than be sure and tell the USF administration about it, and I'm sure they'll consider him.  But until you find one in the NCAAs or NFL, try making a point once in a while.

Well, let's see, at least 14 of those 56 were on defensive TD's, right?

So that means the offense was responsible for letting Oregon score almost as many points as they themselves put on the board.

Besides that GLARING fact, it is irrelevant how many points our opponent scored in this game.

Those of us who are doubting Gregory's ability to run a big time offense are looking at the ENTIRE SEASON.

A bright spot here and there, but overall a very Rod Smith-like performance, only slightly less impressive.

Make a point once in a while, huh?

That's all I do, bro.

But, I guess it's easier for guys like you to muddy the waters and lump me in with the likes of Smazza.

Nice.

• Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Keep in mind that it took some penalties and another Grothe Magic play to get us our one TD in the first half.  Grothe has great playmaking ability but maybe we should do something around him?

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

we can play the blame game for the whole offseason, or we can confess: Football is a TEAM sport, and our whole TEAM got destroyed, it is EVERYONE'S fault for not being prepared.

You can bet they'll be preparing for redemption the whole offseason.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Sorry, that was intended for the other thread.  Stupid cell phone.

Just as an FYI, you can delete your own post.

I get that, but not so easy from the blackberry.  Deleted now.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

we can play the blame game for the whole offseason, or we can confess: Football is a TEAM sport, and our whole TEAM got destroyed, it is EVERYONE'S fault for not being prepared.

You can bet they'll be preparing for redemption the whole offseason.

Yep!

And you can BENCH players who cannot cut it, and FIRE staff members who are in over their heads.

• Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

I thought we had turned something around after those three losses but Oregon looked like more of the same.  It's one thing to throw everything you have + kitchen sink and lose (no complaints there), but it's another thing to go back to the same scheme that has proven to be a failure before.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

For those that only look at the stats (more points than ever, etc.), please also look at the talent. Our O-line was bigger and better than ever before. Ford, Williams, and Taylor are not as good as Hall, but a pretty good group of RB's. Johnson, Mitchell, Jackson, Hester, Bogan are by far the best group of WR we have ever had. I miss Randolph, but Hester and Mitchell stepped up nicely in that spot. Grothe is not a freshman, he is better than he was last year, and probably the best QB we have ever had (Blackwell was good as well). Cedric Hill is an absolute beast at TE.

It would be an absolute travesty if this offense didn't put up big numbers. Average score doesn't tell the whole story either. I would rather put up 30 some odd points every game than put up 50/20 every other game.

Our offense is bigger and better but so are the defenses we are playing against.  We played a lot of good defenses this year.

I agree we need more consistency in scoring, but beating down inferior opponents is a start.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

I'll defend Gregory.  His plays weren't the problem.  Some on this board seem to think that was the problem in the Sun Bowl.  We were down 18-14 at half, was his play calling that bad in the first half?  What about the 2nd half, where TJ killed two drives, and then MG throws a pick 6?  Its funny how some people would like to blame the OC, even though they are missing the bigger picture of the game.  I don't know many OC's that can gameplan to score 57 points in order to win.   

56 Points people.

56 Points people.

56 Points people. 

You know who you are.

they shouldn't need 57 (yes, the defense bears its share of the responsibility for the humiliation, as well as the players), but 21 ain't gettin it done either.

besides, 14 of those 56 were pick 6's from the offense... and picks are often the result of GOOD DEFENSES recognizing what the offense is running and jumping routes and playing the right coverage.

well guess what?  it's A LOT easier for defenses to recognize the play when the Offensive Coordinator is running the same 5 plays over and over again.

that has been Greg Gregory's MO all season.  it worked at Auburn because it was the 2nd game of the season, and a conservative playbook is appropriate for that type of situation.  but u can't run the same 5 plays ALL SEASON, giving opponents ample opportunity to accumulate plenty of tape on those same 5 plays, and expect to come into your Bowl game against a former #2 ranked Pac-10 squad and think they're not gonna see WTF you're doing and blow it up on every play.

Gregory should have figured that out after the Rutgers game.  certainly after UConn.  i guess losing to Cincinnati by 5 at home got it thru his head, so he took a chance and opened up some I-form, some 2TE, some 3 back sets at lowly Cuse...

Gregory's problem, on the micro AND macro level, is that he utterly fails to adjust.

in game situations, he repeatedly attempted plays that had already been blown up several times, failing to adjust to the Defense.

then as the season progressed, he failed to upgrade the playbook as a whole and throw enough wrinkles at opponents to keep them on their toes.

if u think Gregory's performance in the Sun Bowl is a testament to his "good" offensive coordinating abilities, u are smoking rocks. 

our entire offense in the first half were the 138 penalty yards gifted from Oregon, not good playcalling by Greg Gregory.

88 rushing yards

4-14 on 3rd downs

4 Interceptions

that's the sign of an inept offense that failed to prepare and failed to adjust.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'll defend Gregory.  His plays weren't the problem.  Some on this board seem to think that was the problem in the Sun Bowl.  We were down 18-14 at half, was his play calling that bad in the first half?  What about the 2nd half, where TJ killed two drives, and then MG throws a pick 6?  Its funny how some people would like to blame the OC, even though they are missing the bigger picture of the game.  I don't know many OC's that can gameplan to score 57 points in order to win.   

56 Points people.

56 Points people.

56 Points people. 

You know who you are.

they shouldn't need 57 (yes, the defense bears its share of the responsibility for the humiliation, as well as the players), but 21 ain't gettin it done either.

besides, 14 of those 56 were pick 6's from the offense... and picks are often the result of GOOD DEFENSES recognizing what the offense is running and jumping routes and playing the right coverage.

well guess what?  it's A LOT easier for defenses to recognize the play when the Offensive Coordinator is running the same 5 plays over and over again.

that has been Greg Gregory's MO all season.  it worked at Auburn because it was the 2nd game of the season, and a conservative playbook is appropriate for that type of situation.  but u can't run the same 5 plays ALL SEASON, giving opponents ample opportunity to accumulate plenty of tape on those same 5 plays, and expect to come into your Bowl game against a former #2 ranked Pac-10 squad and think they're not gonna see WTF you're doing and blow it up on every play.

Gregory should have figured that out after the Rutgers game.  certainly after UConn.  i guess losing to Cincinnati by 5 at home got it thru his head, so he took a chance and opened up some I-form, some 2TE, some 3 back sets at lowly Cuse...

Gregory's problem, on the micro AND macro level, is that he utterly fails to adjust.

in game situations, he repeatedly attempted plays that had already been blown up several times, failing to adjust to the Defense.

then as the season progressed, he failed to upgrade the playbook as a whole and throw enough wrinkles at opponents to keep them on their toes.

if u think Gregory's performance in the Sun Bowl is a testament to his "good" offensive coordinating abilities, u are smoking rocks. 

our entire offense in the first half were the 138 penalty yards gifted from Oregon, not good playcalling by Greg Gregory.

88 rushing yards

4-14 on 3rd downs

4 Interceptions

that's the sign of an inept offense that failed to prepare and failed to adjust.

Excellent analysis.

Archived