• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone want to defend Gregory?

Sure... we could also talk about how the Defensive Line didn't seem to do much... so maybe Coach Mac has to go...

or how the Offensive Line has been a problem all year, no holes for RBs or time for Grothe... Coach Simmonds might need to go...

or how our wide receivers dropped so many passes and/or Grothe missed obviously open receivers... Coach Canales might need to go...

and so on.

Football is a team sport... and it's not an easy one either...

I'm not trying to belittle your point.  There have been times where even I knew what play USF was going to run, and I don't watch game film like opposing coaches/players.  I understand how a different coach might have done things differently.

I'm just saying that I don't think there is any one scapegoat for people to point to.  USF is a great school... with great coaches... and great players...

But they are human.  They will make mistakes.  They will lose focus and concentration.  On occasion, they will run into someone who is better than they are in some aspect.

I hate to say this, but USF is going to lose again.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

Sure... we could also talk about how the Defensive Line didn't seem to do much... so maybe Coach Mac has to go...

or how the Offensive Line has been a problem all year, no holes for RBs or time for Grothe... Coach Simmonds might need to go...

or how our wide receivers dropped so many passes and/or Grothe missed obviously open receivers... Coach Canales might need to go...

and so on.

Football is a team sport... and it's not an easy one either...

I'm not trying to belittle your point.  There have been times where even I knew what play USF was going to run, and I don't watch game film like opposing coaches/players.  I understand how a different coach might have done things differently.

I'm just saying that I don't think there is any one scapegoat for people to point to.  USF is a great school... with great coaches... and great players...

But they are human.  They will make mistakes.  They will lose focus and concentration.  On occasion, they will run into someone who is better than they are in some aspect.

I hate to say this, but USF is going to lose again.

Wow.

Are you serious?

Difference between Gregory and all those other coaches you mentioned is that his gameplanning has been consistently bad all year against decent defenses.

If we can play against squads with great defenses like UNC, UCF, Louisville, and UNC every week, then Greg Gregory (or anyone else for that matter) would make Steve Spurrier look like a novice.

There is no defending Gregory, but try if you must.

It's fun to watch you guys offer up lame arguments.

I'm not trying to defend him... I just disagree that it's been that bad week in and week out. (WVU?

His problem is that it's been bad the same weeks when other parts of the team were struggling.

Are there better OC's out there? Yup.

I'm just saying that we can't really blame everything on one person.  (The naked bootleg call at U Conn - that was ALL Gregory, and he admitted the mistake there.)

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm not trying to defend him... I just disagree that it's been that bad week in and week out. (WVU?

His problem is that it's been bad the same weeks when other parts of the team were struggling.

Are there better OC's out there? Yup.

I'm just saying that we can't really blame everything on one person.  (The naked bootleg call at U Conn - that was ALL Gregory, and he admitted the mistake there.)

I'd agree with you......it's not ALL on him.

But enough of it to seek another solution.

And what about WVU?  I don't remember the offense being all that dynamic in that game.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Could any of it be the execution?  Lot's of dropped passes in the WVU game... along with a few turnovers on our part.

Sure.....some of it is execution.

But how do you account for the multiple occasions this season where it looked like the opposing Defensive Coordinator had Gregory's playbook and game script?

How can you cry "execution" when our RB's are getting hit as soon as they take the handoff, and our overall gameplan is as predictable as high & low tides?

Well ... and this isn't saying much ... but the same thing was happening under Rod Smith.

I think it's a combination of factors... a very vanilla playbook... a lack of cojones to take a risk -- or taking a risk at the wrong time... players who are not 100% sure of the play called... players who don't execute... defenses who read the play well...

To me - the problem is not with Gregory, but with the offense CJL wants to run. Like Tony Dungy when he was with the Bucs.  We have the talent -- CJL needs to just let these guys play, and tell OCGG to open things up and have some fun.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Well ... and this isn't saying much ... but the same thing was happening under Rod Smith.

I think it's a combination of factors... a very vanilla playbook... a lack of cojones to take a risk -- or taking a risk at the wrong time... players who are not 100% sure of the play called... players who don't execute... defenses who read the play well...

To me - the problem is not with Gregory, but with the offense CJL wants to run. Like Tony Dungy when he was with the Bucs.  We have the talent -- CJL needs to just let these guys play, and tell OCGG to open things up and have some fun.

I have wondered about that theory myself.

I say we get someone REPUTABLE in here (not another hire from within the program).

Then, if that QUALIFIED offensive mind produces similar results, we'll know the issue lies with the head coach.

Regardless, Greg Gregory is out of his league.  If he couldn't hack in in the MAC (as Ohio's OC), why on earth would he be able to do the job here??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Our offense put up 21 points.  That should have been enough to be at least close.  The Defense was atrocious.  Oregon basically ran 3 plays.  Stewart left, Stewart right, play action pass. 

You may be right... Gregory was promoted in the Spring, when there wasn't a large chance to go after someone else... now CJL technically has more time...

However, since USF has a fairly small pool for the assistant coaches, it's not like we can bring another BCS OC in here... the best we could do is either give someone their first OC chance OR bring an OC from the mid-majors or the FCS.

Archived