• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone want to defend Gregory?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  282
  • Days Won:  0

I wrote a thread in the middle of the season defending Gregory.  The jist was that Leavitt knew a good coach when he saw one etc etc.  After watching this bowl performance and reflecting on the performances at Cincy, UConn and Rutgars (after almost allowing FAU to beat us) I am seriously questioning my sanity in defending Gregory against the calls to fire him.

So I ask:  should we just move on from Gregory and see if the program can attract someone who can make more of the talent that we have and might attract or should we allow Gregory to attempt to improve with the offense?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I would like to decline the offer to defend Gregory.

I too thought he was getting better. I take back anything positive that I ever said about him.

• Content Count:  349

I think we need a new OC... maybe an R-Rod Protege? Or maybe the Michigan OC?

Gregory doesn't execute the plays.  Was it his fault Johnson held the ball like a loaf of bread?  Was it his fault Grothe threw a pick that was returned for a TD?

Could he have been more aggressive?  Absolutely.  He could have called VooDoo 5 (or 6).

This loss can not be blamed on any single person, coach or player...

Regardless, I still had a great time and was proud to be standing at the end of the game singing the alma mater.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Thank you DouBull, for admitting you were wrong.

I took a TON of heat over the course of the regular season for suggesting Gregory may not be the answer at O-coordinator.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Who would we go after though?

And no I won't defend Gregory

• Content Count:  500

People were happy when heran up the score on some weak d's. He was clearly just the duct tape forthe 07 season.

• Content Count:  282

Gregory doesn't execute the plays.  Was it his fault Johnson held the ball like a loaf of bread?  Was it his fault Grothe threw a pick that was returned for a TD?

Could he have been more aggressive?  Absolutely.  He could have called VooDoo 5 (or 6).

This loss can not be blamed on any single person, coach or player...

Regardless, I still had a great time and was proud to be standing at the end of the game singing the alma mater.

Jim, thanks for the comments.  I was not saying that he was solely responsible for this loss or any of the others.  I had simply reached the conclusion that everything starts with the coaches and this loss began with poor coaching.  The most woeful coaching performance all year belonged to Gregory.  Therefore step one during the off-season is to be well rid of him and give ample time for the new OC to come in and get positioned for next year.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I think we need a new OC... maybe an R-Rod Protege? Or maybe the Michigan OC?

we need an OC that can run the spread.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I will not defend the coaches for yesterday the O and D looked lost out there.  However, the fact is that this team averaged the most points in team history, as well as the most yardage. 

Even if he was fired, which he will not be, who are the candidates to replace him?  CJL said at the beginning of this season that the level of experience of the current staff was something he was happy to have as he did not have to coach any of the coaches as he did in years past. 

We have shown an ability to beat down some of the worse teams on our schedule (UCF, UL, syr) which is better than year's past.

Archived