• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Wants Better Bowls (Two Articles)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I agree with your sentiments SanJay but I don't see the Big East getting 6 bowls for 8 teams, I could be wrong there though. How many tie-ins does the Big Televen allready have?

We have the 6 bowls already, we just don't get all of them every year.  If we had 6 tie-ins, Louisville would be going bowling if they could upset Rutgers this week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

What bowls did the Big East lose after the raid? I didn't pay much attention to them before we arrived.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

ND isn't ending its affiliation with the Gator Bowl or BE. pipe dream.

The BE has never hd the stronest bowl lineup simply because the majority of their teams never drew well, even before the changes.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What bowls did the Big East lose after the raid? I didn't pay much attention to them before we arrived.

1999 Music City (SEC) in Nashville lost before fall out (kept kicking SEC's behind)

Also lost after fall out

Insight.com (PAC10) Phoenix

San Francisco (MWC)

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

2001 Boston College 20, Georgia 16  RECAP  STATS

2000 West Virginia 49, Ole Miss 38  RECAP  STATS

1999 Syracuse 20, Kentucky 13  RECAP  STATS

1998 Virginia Tech 38, Alabama 7 

For proof

http://www.musiccitybowl.com/about_us/history.php

• Content Count:  1,260

The bowl situation has to be dealt with from the top to the bottom. Clearly, we must find better ties to existing bowls for our "top" teams...and use the option of creating new bowls for our bottom teams if necessary.

Regarding the top teams: I believe that now is the time to pay back the ACC and "raid" their bowls. It might be possible to go to the Peach/ChickFil-A Bowl in Atlanta (who currently has ACC #3 and SEC#5), tell them we want them to be our "marquee" bowl and give them the B.EAST #2/3 to play the SEC. The Champps Bowl in Orlando (Acc #4 vs. big 10 #4/5) is another one where we could try to trump the ACC by giving them a higher level team than what the ACC can offer.

As far as creating a new bowl for the BE, this is a good option for teams #4 &#5, and Florida is the best fit as a site. There are already many northern alums in the state during the winter, and it is a great respite from the cold weather that most of the schools have to deal with. (USF fans would also show well). The downside is that unless there is a serious financial backing, new bowls rarely get intriguing matchups for starters...and the new bowl would be stuck with the bottom of the BCS or mid-league conferences to fill the other slot. As bad as that might be...I bet Rutgers would rather travel to St. Pete and play CUSA than head to Toronto and play the MAC....

A final thought (which is admittedly not that exciting) would be a possible tie into a new "DC-bowl". Work with the ACC to ditch the Liberty/Music City Bowls and agree to send BE #4/5 vs. ACC #6. It's a bit duplicative of the Muffler Bowl...but the area would be a geographically pleasing location to both leagues...and neither conference would have to continue sending their lower bowl eligible teams to play mid major conferences.

• Content Count:  3,827

When do the bowl contracts run out?

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

When do the bowl contracts run out?

Gator Bowl has 2 more years left after this bowl season.

• Content Count:  2,363

The bowl situation has to be dealt with from the top to the bottom. Clearly, we must find better ties to existing bowls for our "top" teams...and use the option of creating new bowls for our bottom teams if necessary.

Regarding the top teams: I believe that now is the time to pay back the ACC and "raid" their bowls. It might be possible to go to the Peach/ChickFil-A Bowl in Atlanta (who currently has ACC #3 and SEC#5), tell them we want them to be our "marquee" bowl and give them the B.EAST #2/3 to play the SEC. The Champps Bowl in Orlando (Acc #4 vs. big 10 #4/5) is another one where we could try to trump the ACC by giving them a higher level team than what the ACC can offer.

As far as creating a new bowl for the BE, this is a good option for teams #4 &#5, and Florida is the best fit as a site. There are already many northern alums in the state during the winter, and it is a great respite from the cold weather that most of the schools have to deal with. (USF fans would also show well). The downside is that unless there is a serious financial backing, new bowls rarely get intriguing matchups for starters...and the new bowl would be stuck with the bottom of the BCS or mid-league conferences to fill the other slot. As bad as that might be...I bet Rutgers would rather travel to St. Pete and play CUSA than head to Toronto and play the MAC....

A final thought (which is admittedly not that exciting) would be a possible tie into a new "DC-bowl". Work with the ACC to ditch the Liberty/Music City Bowls and agree to send BE #4/5 vs. ACC #6. It's a bit duplicative of the Muffler Bowl...but the area would be a geographically pleasing location to both leagues...and neither conference would have to continue sending their lower bowl eligible teams to play mid major conferences.

Re: a bowl in DC, one I've toyed with in my head is the UnderArmour Charm City Bowl in M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore (where UA was founded and is headquarted). Cold weather aside (the likely killer of such a thing) it's a new location and you know UnderArmour wants to get their hands all over college football...

• Content Count:  1,260

Re: a bowl in DC, one I've toyed with in my head is the UnderArmour Charm City Bowl in M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore (where UA was founded and is headquarted). Cold weather aside (the likely killer of such a thing) it's a new location and you know UnderArmour wants to get their hands all over college football...

I think the "cold weather" issue for DC/Baltimore is not as big an issue as one might think. In that area the temperature is generally between 30-45 degrees at that time...cold by Florida standards...but not quite the issue of snow you have to deal with in Toronto or Detroit. It's actually not that much different than Charlotte which is a few hours away. Overall, the location has plenty to do for visitors if you take the entire So. maryland - No. Virginia area as a whole. (Certainly much more attractive than Birmingham and alot more sensible than El Paso or Toronto for schools in our conference, and teams from the ACC such as the Carolina squads, Maryland, UVA and Vtech would ensure sellouts)

If you take a look at even the most distant of the schools in the ACC and B.E., (ACC: BC, Miami, BE: USF, Cincinatti), this area is in reality a day's drive with flight's in and out of the area regularly. I didn't know about Under Armour being centered in B'more, but it seems like it would be a natural fit . Let's form a comittee and get this done!  ;D

Archived