• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nov 18 Bowl Projections (CFN)

Jihme

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

Okay I guess I don't know how it works. I thought each bowl had the option of picking any bowl eligible team in a conference affiliated with that bowl. So is that only true if the records are the same?

--Joey

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I guess I don't know how it works. I thought each bowl had the option of picking any bowl eligible team in a conference affiliated with that bowl. So is that only true if the records are the same?

--Joey

NCAA Bylaws

30.9.2 Contest Status. [i-A] A contest shall be licensed only if it serves the purpose of providing a national contest between deserving winning teams. A “deserving winning team†shall be defined as one that has won a minimum of six games against Division I-A opponents and that has more wins than losses. Tie games do not count in determining a team’s won-lost record. Further, when forfeiture of a regular-season football victory is required by the Committee on Infractions, a conference or self-imposed by an institution as a result of a violation of NCAA rules, neither of the competing institutions may count that contest in satisfying the definition of a “deserving winning team.†(Revised: 10/18/89, 10/12/93, 4/20/99)

30.9.2.1 Exception  12 Game Season. An institution with a record of six wins and six losses may be selected for participation in a bowl game under the following circumstances: (Adopted: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) The institution or its conference has a primary contractual affiliation, which existed prior to the first contest of the applicable season, with the sponsoring bowl organization. In the case of a conference contractual affiliation, all conference teams with winning records must be placed in one of the contracted bowl games before any institution with a record of six wins and six losses may be placed in a contracted bowl game. There shall be no contingency agreements with other sponsoring bowl organizations intended to enable an institution with a record of six wins and six losses to become eligible for those contests; or

(B) All contractual affiliations per Bylaw 30.9.2.1-(a) have been fulfilled and all institutions with winning records have received bowl invitations (either through a contractual affiliation or as an at large selection).

(Emphasis added.)

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I'd love the Gator Bowl also.

Let's say #1 and #2 are LSU and Kansas.

The next Big 12 team would head to the Fiesta Bowl (either Mizz, Oklahoma or Texas). Come time for the Gator Bowl selection, They have the option of picking Texas Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M.

Of those, the only school that I would think represents a true power is Nebraska (they have fans everywhere) it would be hard to believe that any of the remaining choices represents a greater attraction than USF especially if we are ranked.

I know the typical argument is the Bowl game wants schools from out of state who will spend money here. Not sure why though. Isn't the bowl more worried about filling seats? Aren't those other concerns mostly for city councilmen?

--Joey

Nebraska would be 6-6 and the Gator Bowl could not select them.

The Gator's Big 12 choice will only be Texas Tech.  At 8-4 they have to be selected before any of the 6-6 teams (Nebraska/Colorado winner, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, or maybe Kansas State).

Unless A&M or Ok State pull the upset this week against Texas and Oklahoma respectively.

Why couldn't the Gator pick one of the two teams out of OU/Texas/Mizzou/Kansas that doesn't go to the BCS?

The next Big 12 team would head to the Fiesta Bowl (either Mizz, Oklahoma or Texas). Come time for the Gator Bowl selection, They have the option of picking Texas Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M.

Of those, the only school that I would think represents a true power is Nebraska (they have fans everywhere) it would be hard to believe that any of the remaining choices represents a greater attraction than USF especially if we are ranked.

I know the typical argument is the Bowl game wants schools from out of state who will spend money here. Not sure why though. Isn't the bowl more worried about filling seats? Aren't those other concerns mostly for city councilmen?

--Joey

The Gator's Big 12 choice will only be Texas Tech.  At 8-4 they have to be selected before any of the 6-6 teams (Nebraska/Colorado winner, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, or maybe Kansas State).

Unless A&M or Ok State pull the upset this week against Texas and Oklahoma respectively.

Why couldn't the Gator pick one of the two teams out of OU/Texas/Mizzou/Kansas that doesn't go to the BCS?

Because the Gator has the fourth pick in the Big 12 when two teams go to the BCS... which means the other two will go to the Cotton (2nd pick) and Holiday (3rd pick)  bowls.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

--Joey

Because the Gator has the fourth pick in the Big 12 when two teams go to the BCS... which means the other two will go to the Cotton (2nd pick) and Holiday (3rd pick)  bowls.

Ah, I forgot about the Holiday Bowl.

• Content Count:  695

I think Texas Tech's upset of Oklahoma seals our fate as far as making the Gator Bowl. The bowl wants a shot at Notre Dame and Texas Tech has some buzz now that they beat a good Oklahoma team. So therefore they will take Texas Tech this year, their only one game worse than us as far as record goes and have a quality win like we have plus they will have a shot at Notre Dame the next 2 seasons. It will be retarded with us going to a bowl in Texas, and a Texas team playing a bowl in Florida but it's the Big East's fault for doing all of these shared bowl bids.

Guest Mr. AKA

Bowl projections are just that...projections, I personally am salivating at the possiblity of playing FSU in the Car Care Bowl, beating one of the "Big 3" would be huge for the program.

• Content Count:  21,017
  • Days Won:  38

I wish they would swap out FSU for Clemson so we can have a Florida showdown.

• Content Count:  6,928

I wish they would swap out FSU for Clemson so we can have a Florida showdown.

I am thinking that FSU-USF in the Gator Bowl would put a lot of butts in the seats. Mot much for the hotels........

Archived