• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gatorbowl less likely for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think our chances are slim merely from the fact that the Sun Bowl is treating it as if they are getting the BE team.

I'm guessing Charlotte.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your forgetting a key point here, Bowls are to make money.  I love the idea of the Florida teams playing in Florida, and Texas staying in Texas.  As an accountant who cannot get away at year end I LOVE the idea.

The problem is from Tampa, we can drive up and back in a day.  This does not lend itself to the money making that bowls desire.  They want fans to come into town and spend 3-4 days.  Look at all the happens related to the Outback Bowl.  They do not particularly like to have the Gaytors there, they lose tourist dollars.

Just my thought for when we talking about who will be chosen, like they say, follow the money.

For a Bowl that dosent like having the Gators, they sure take them alot.

They are tied by contract to that with the SEC.

You said the Outback doesn't like to have the Gators here...

He pointed out the Outback has had the Gators here quite often... but he was wrong looking at the history. Sure, the Gators have played 3 times recently (2003, 2004, & 2006) -- but that's it...

Florida was a top team (TV) and has a good fan base (tickets)... 

If Bowl games want TV, hotel rooms, and tickets sold... USF is not the best choice for the Gators in all three.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I would think USF is not the best choice for the Sun Bowl in that regard either... then again, none of the options in the Big East are...

I think our chances are slim merely from the fact that the Sun Bowl is treating it as if they are getting the BE team.

I'm guessing Charlotte.

Sure, but the only Big 12 team the Gator Bowl can get will be Texas Tech...

So, it's USF, Cincy, U Conn, Rutgers (if they win this week), and Texas Tech from which they can choose...

I would think USF is not the best choice for the Sun Bowl in that regard either... then again, none of the options in the Big East are...

Rutgers sold their allotment to the Texas Bowl last year... and there are probably more flights from Newark than Tampa to El Paso

• Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

aTm would be a good selection for the Gator if they beat TX.  I'm sure that group travels well.  Friday I was at home during the day wearing my USF sweatshirt and hat workin' on the laptop and someone knocks at the door.  It was a late 20ish, early 30ish investment consultant drumming up work for a new office in my new TX neighborhood.  She actually recognized my sweater and made a comment that we did pretty good.  Told her I was a TX hater and a Gator hater after she explained that nonTexans get TX and aTm mixed up.  I explained that happens alot to FL & S.FL.  I had great respect for the Aggies after she left as college football fans.  Anyway FWIW, the RayJay needs an early December bowl the week before Christmas with a BE vs B12 tie.

Jim I bet you can't get to El Paseo from any place in the NE, SE or MidWest nonstop.  You gotta go thru Houston or Dallas to get anywhere in TX pretty much except those two and sometimes Austin.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Anywhere besides Bham or Toronto.  Those make no sense.  Bham, did that last year, and why would they put a Florida team in Canada when there are teams in NE to pick from. 

We must travel in huge #'s this year, even if picked for Bham again.

• Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

I'll buy tickets again for the Papa Johns but I honestly do not see any way that I will attend that game this year.

Anywhere besides Bham or Toronto.  Those make no sense.  Bham, did that last year, and why would they put a Florida team in Canada when there are teams in NE to pick from. 

We must travel in huge #'s this year, even if picked for Bham again.

I'll buy tickets again for the Papa Johns but I honestly do not see any way that I will attend that game this year.

Family and holiday issues I can understand, but I think fans need to understand this:

If we don't like the bowl games, the best way we can convince other bowls to sign with the Big East in two years is to travel very well... the big reason we have the crap we do is the perception the league was weak - both on and off the field... the teams have  done their part. But if USF, Cincy, U Conn, etc do not improve their travelling fan base, the better bowls will never want to sign with the Big East.

So, for everyone who would "never go back" to Birmingham, you are helping to ensure the Big East doesn't get any better bowls in 2010 and beyond...

Archived