• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Projections

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections11

Maisel has us going back to the pizza bowl and playing East Carolina once again. If this was already posted, sorry!

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

that would be the bottom of the pit if we have to play ECU again.

• Content Count:  2,461

How the hell does the other guy have us in Gator? #2 in the Big East? Sorry, but that is just retarded.

How the hell does the other guy have us in Gator? #2 in the Big East? Sorry, but that is just retarded.

Well, the Gator Bowl is not "#2 in the Big East"... the Gator Bowl gets to pick second.

They totally ignore the order of finish of the teams.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Well, the Gator Bowl is not "#2 in the Big East"... the Gator Bowl gets to pick second.

They totally ignore the order of finish of the teams.

as well they should.  i dont think the Gator Bowl would do itself any favors by picking UConn or Cinci.

IF USF can win out, a 9-3 former #2 ranked team (and likely ranked somewhere in the 20-25 range to end the season) that was in the "national championship discussion" at one point this season (if only briefly), that has the 2nd highest attendance in the Big East and has shown decent numbers at in-state games (10k + in Lauderdale) and in their previous bowl game (we had as many as ECU with very little hype last season)....

i think it would be an incredibly smart move for the Gator Bowl to pick USF.  we would bring a strong showing to an in-state bowl and if someone like Clemson gets in (with good traveling fans), the game would have a very energized crowd.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

We aren't going to the Gator Bowl unless a few teams lose.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

as well they should.  i dont think the Gator Bowl would do itself any favors by picking UConn or Cinci.

Realistically, they wouldn't be doing itself any favors if they took USF either because they would be stuck with the Big 12 for the next 2 years. I don't think the Gator Bowl would want to potentially lose out on getting WVU, Louisville or ND because they would travel much better than we would.

We aren't going to the Gator Bowl unless a few teams lose.

Joe ... are you so sure??  I'll admin U Conn and Cincy are two of the teams we need to lose (each to WVU)...

Still, consider this...

Okay. First let me say I have been telling people for weeks there was no way on God's green earth the Gator Bowl would take any Big East team and be stuck taking a Big 12 team the next two years.  I was dead serious about this.

But as the season is playing out, things could be changing.  Maybe I was wrong?

Since the game ended today, I've been doing some full analysis of all the bowl games, eligible teams, and remaining schedules ... and I saw something that could give Bulls fans some hope.

Consider this... and we are only entertaining this discussion assuming USF wins the next two games to finish 9-3.  A USF loss to either Louisville or Pittsburgh would render the rest of this post moot.

1. The "Weak 12"

First the Gator Bowl selects fourth (BCS, Cotton, Holiday, Gator) from the Big 12.  The Gator could select ahead of the Cotton, but only if the Big 12 gets only 1 team in a BCS bowl.  Since most people think the Big 12 will get 2 teams in the BCS, the Gator would have to take the FIFTH best team from the Big 12.

Okay, so two out of Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, and Missouri are going to the BCS.  The other two are going to the Cotton and Holiday bowl.  That means the Gator Bowl gets to choose from Texas Tech who will likely finish 7-5, and four possibly 6-6 teams (Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, the Colorado/Nebraska Winner, and maybe Kansas State if the Wildcats can get to 6-6).

So, the Gator Bowl's Big 12 team is going to be ... AT BEST 7-5 with a losing conference record -- and no where near the Top 25.

Okay. Let's set that aside for a moment.

2. The ACC

The Gator Bowl gets the third team from the ACC (BCS, Chick-Fil-A, Gator).  Next week Va Tech plays UVa for the Coastal Division and BC goes to Clemson for the Atlantic Division.  The losers of those two games would finish, at best, 9-3.  So the Gator Bowl would probably be interested in Clemson or Virginia Tech if UVA wins next week.  Regardless, the ACC team will bring a significant fan base and help sell tickets.

3. The Big Least??

Now, we have weak options for the Gator Bowl in the Big 12.  The Big East isn't that much better.  WVU will probably win out and go to the BCS.  If that happens and USF wins out, then USF, U Conn, and Cincinnati will all be 9-3...

So let's look at the BCS Standings.  Going into today's games, U Conn was #13, USF #28, and Cincy #30.  Cincinnati will likely jump over USF, but not by that much.  U Conn will also fall - but probably not below USF and Cincy.  Let's say the standings next week will be somewhere around #21 U Conn, #24 Cincy, #25 USF.  (Remember, Wisconsin and Illinois were also behind USF and beat higher ranked teams, so USF won't climb that much).  The current standings are #22 Cincy, #24 U Conn, and #27 USF.

Then if WVU beats both Cincy and U Conn the next two weeks, and USF wins it's games, they will both drop below USF.  USF would climb to, maybe, #15 - #18, while Cincy and U Conn will both be outside the Top 25.

4. Gator Dilemma

Okay. So you're the Gator Bowl Selection Committee.  You are dead certain to have a Top 20 ACC team in either BC, Clemson, UVA, or Va Tech... The Big 12 doesn't have any Top 20 teams available for you; their best available team is a 7-5 Texas Tech team that isn't getting a single vote from anyone.  The only Big East Top 20 team is the South Florida Bulls, who are 9-3, while U Conn and Cincy are probably getting some votes.

Now, none of these three Big East teams travel very well.  USF is in Tampa, barely a four hour drive away, and the fans are starving for a "respectable" bowl game after the mid-season swoon had them checking the rules for getting to Canada.

Who do you take??

From the [iurl=http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=41993.0]Could USF Still go to the Gator Bowl?[/iurl] thread...

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections11

Maisel has us going back to the pizza bowl and playing East Carolina once again. If this was already posted, sorry!

The Pizza Bowl committee would be completely incompetent if they were to invite the same two teams 2 years in a row.

• Content Count:  7,890

we need to win out and have Cinci lose out and we can still go to the Car care bowl

Archived