• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Question to those Who Think The Season is Disappointing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

i would've been really disappointed if you told me we'd have 3 losses. i expected a conference title.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I expect the Bulls to win the BE!

• Content Count:  213

If I asked you before the season if you'd be disappointed that a USF team had a chance to be in line for the national championship and lost three consecutive mistake-riddled football games by less than a touchdown, I would hope that you would have the good sense to answer 'yes.'

Enough of the ooey-gooey, slappy-happy Pollyanna outlook to a season that has gone south with no one to blame but ourselves and assorted referees.

• Content Count:  1,290

Big East officals' season is supposed to be disappointed!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

What does the beginning of the year have to do with what has happened through the course of the year?  A football season is not a snapshot.  Things change based on opportunities and developments. 

Looking back at the beginning of the year everyone thought that our 2 biggest obstacles would be WVU and UL for the BE Championship.  We beat WVU and UL fell apart.  The door was wide open for us to win the BE championship.  In that respect the season is already a disappointment. 

I can't classify the season as a disappointment yet since it isn't over yet and if we win out and go to a bowl game and win that we will have our best record ever.  That is still in front of us.  Yeah, it's nice to set attendance records, but when you have the oportunity in your hands and you throw it away, how can you not be disappointed?

I never understand this attitude of complacency with mediocrity.  The goal at the beginning of the year was to win a BE championship.  We had it in our grasp.  It slipped away.  That's disappointing.  The same people that make the argument that well we went 9-3 and we should be happy we made it there are the same people that will say well we won 8 games in BB this year and that's a great record even though we fail to make the BE tourney. 

Raise your expectations people.  This team already has shown that it can achieve national status and become a big time program.  If there is a weakness holding us back from achieving that it's ok to hold people accountable and their feet to the fire to get us there.  The expectations of what this team could be were raised by the University and the team itself when Leavitt said way back when that he envisions us playing for National Titles and championships.  That opportunity has been given to us by entering the BE conference.  Don't say that you are happy with mediocrity because the team sure as hell is not.

If you expected this team to go to a national title with the lack of offense and terrible special teams we showed even in those first 6 games you didn't have realistic expectations IMO.  This team has looked like a team that would drop 2 or more games all year we just got some nice breaks here and there to go shooting up the rankings and get people to think we were as good as the ranking beside our name when we really weren't playing like a top 5 team.  We very easily could have lost 3 out of those first 6 games and only had one real impressive efforts from both sides of the ball and that was against UNC & UCF.  If you think we looked like an elite football TEAM (not just the D either)  i really have to question what your perception of a top program is.  We were a good team that got benefited from some losses ahead of us and we got a little to big for our britches and now its time to come back to reality for those who left us during that nice 6 game span.  Yes its ok to be disappointed but to see some of the stuff that im seeing around here as of late is just stupid.  This team is about 2 years behind where i think alot of expectations are for it. 

Basically what im saying is people were getting high of the situation and letting the situation we were in cloud what they saw when they looked at this team.  This team has only been impressive as a whole 2 times all year not something i look for in a BCS conference or national champion.  The situation was great to be in but we just didnt have the team (injures, youth, inexperience)  to take advantage of it. 

• Content Count:  1,812

i would've been really disappointed if you told me we'd have 3 losses. i expected a conference title.

You and the rest of the country; what did you base this on? Please try to actually answer a question than a one line post if possible.

• Content Count:  10,219

What does the beginning of the year have to do with what has happened through the course of the year?  A football season is not a snapshot.  Things change based on opportunities and developments. 

Looking back at the beginning of the year everyone thought that our 2 biggest obstacles would be WVU and UL for the BE Championship.  We beat WVU and UL fell apart.  The door was wide open for us to win the BE championship.  In that respect the season is already a disappointment. 

I can't classify the season as a disappointment yet since it isn't over yet and if we win out and go to a bowl game and win that we will have our best record ever.  That is still in front of us.  Yeah, it's nice to set attendance records, but when you have the oportunity in your hands and you throw it away, how can you not be disappointed?

I never understand this attitude of complacency with mediocrity.  The goal at the beginning of the year was to win a BE championship.  We had it in our grasp.  It slipped away.  That's disappointing.  The same people that make the argument that well we went 9-3 and we should be happy we made it there are the same people that will say well we won 8 games in BB this year and that's a great record even though we fail to make the BE tourney. 

Raise your expectations people.  This team already has shown that it can achieve national status and become a big time program.  If there is a weakness holding us back from achieving that it's ok to hold people accountable and their feet to the fire to get us there.  The expectations of what this team could be were raised by the University and the team itself when Leavitt said way back when that he envisions us playing for National Titles and championships.  That opportunity has been given to us by entering the BE conference.  Don't say that you are happy with mediocrity because the team sure as hell is not.

If you expected this team to go to a national title with the lack of offense and terrible special teams we showed even in those first 6 games you didn't have realistic expectations IMO.  This team has looked like a team that would drop 2 or more games all year we just got some nice breaks here and there to go shooting up the rankings and get people to think we were as good as the ranking beside our name when we really weren't playing like a top 5 team.  We very easily could have lost 3 out of those first 6 games and only had one real impressive efforts from both sides of the ball and that was against UNC & UCF.  If you think we looked like an elite football TEAM (not just the D either)  i really have to question what your perception of a top program is.   We were a good team that got benefited from some losses ahead of us and we got a little to big for our britches and now its time to come back to reality for those who left us during that nice 6 game span.  Yes its ok to be disappointed but to see some of the stuff that im seeing around here as of late is just stupid.  This team is about 2 years behind where i think alot of expectations are for it.  

Basically what im saying is people were getting high of the situation and letting the situation we were in cloud what they saw when they looked at this team.  This team has only been impressive as a whole 2 times all year not something i look for in a BCS conference or national champion.   The situation was great to be in but we just didnt have the team (injures, youth, inexperience)  to take advantage of it.  

right on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

At the beginning of the season I would have had us with a 4 loss season, Auburn, WV, Rutgers and Cinci.  So after beating Auburn and WV I must say my expectations had changed.  Figuring Auburn and WV were better than Rutgers and Cinci I thought that we would split those 2 games after winning the 1st two.  No, I didn't ever think we were the 2nd best team in the country but did, and still, believe we are a Top 25 team.  Injuries on the O Line, more than any of the other injuries, have hurt us the most.  We were thin going in and it just got worse from there.

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

The record is not dissappointing to me. It is how we got to this point that frustrates me. I never expected us to go undefeated or even win the B.E. When a team starts out 6-0 expectations tend to go through the roof. The only expectation from that 6-0 start that was realistic was not going on a losing streak. There is too much talent on this team to allow that to happen. Rutgers did what they needed to do to beat us. UCONN and Cinci we gift wrapped those games! I am dissappointed that the team came out flat against UCONN and I am disappointed in how many turnovers we had against Cinci. Mistakes has caused this team more than two losses. It has killed the momentum that they built and now people are left asking what the hell happened.

• Content Count:  635

You and the rest of the country; what did you base this on? Please try to actually answer a question than a one line post if possible.

because the key players on the team were young last year and we beat some good teams and played real close with good teams and with another year of experience i figured they'd only be better and knew they could beat Rutgers, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincy and the rest, especially with the toughest games (theoretically) coming at home, and i generally just have high expectations for my teams to begin with (unless it's obvious they will suck, i.e. the Dolphins).

Archived