• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Question to those Who Think The Season is Disappointing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Lets think way back to early August before we played a game would you have called the season a disappointment if we had 3 losses in the first 9 games?

Elon

Auburn

UNC

WVU

FAU

UCF

Rutgers

Uconn

Cincinatti

I dont think too many people would have though it the end of the world then, so why do so many now?  I think too many people drank too much of the national title kool aid when we really didnt look like a top contender since our offense struggled every game but against FAU and UCF.  It's not the end of the world boys and girls and its not over yet.  We run the table out including the bowl and we still go 10-3 which most would have been very happy with a few months ago.  This is still a good team and this season can still be a success and a step forward. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

not a huge disapointment, but yes I thought we would be 7-2 or better with losses to (WVU, Auburn or Rutgers)

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

What does the beginning of the year have to do with what has happened through the course of the year?  A football season is not a snapshot.  Things change based on opportunities and developments. 

Looking back at the beginning of the year everyone thought that our 2 biggest obstacles would be WVU and UL for the BE Championship.  We beat WVU and UL fell apart.  The door was wide open for us to win the BE championship.  In that respect the season is already a disappointment. 

I can't classify the season as a disappointment yet since it isn't over yet and if we win out and go to a bowl game and win that we will have our best record ever.  That is still in front of us.  Yeah, it's nice to set attendance records, but when you have the oportunity in your hands and you throw it away, how can you not be disappointed?

I never understand this attitude of complacency with mediocrity.  The goal at the beginning of the year was to win a BE championship.  We had it in our grasp.  It slipped away.  That's disappointing.  The same people that make the argument that well we went 9-3 and we should be happy we made it there are the same people that will say well we won 8 games in BB this year and that's a great record even though we fail to make the BE tourney. 

Raise your expectations people.  This team already has shown that it can achieve national status and become a big time program.  If there is a weakness holding us back from achieving that it's ok to hold people accountable and their feet to the fire to get us there.  The expectations of what this team could be were raised by the University and the team itself when Leavitt said way back when that he envisions us playing for National Titles and championships.  That opportunity has been given to us by entering the BE conference.  Don't say that you are happy with mediocrity because the team sure as hell is not.

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

What does the beginning of the year have to do with what has happened through the course of the year?  A football season is not a snapshot.  Things change based on opportunities and developments. 

Looking back at the beginning of the year everyone thought that our 2 biggest obstacles would be WVU and UL for the BE Championship.  We beat WVU and UL fell apart.  The door was wide open for us to win the BE championship.  In that respect the season is already a disappointment. 

I can't classify the season as a disappointment yet since it isn't over yet and if we win out and go to a bowl game and win that we will have our best record ever.  That is still in front of us.  Yeah, it's nice to set attendance records, but when you have the oportunity in your hands and you throw it away, how can you not be disappointed?

I never understand this attitude of complacency with mediocrity.  The goal at the beginning of the year was to win a BE championship.  We had it in our grasp.  It slipped away.  That's disappointing.  The same people that make the argument that well we went 9-3 and we should be happy we made it there are the same people that will say well we won 8 games in BB this year and that's a great record even though we fail to make the BE tourney. 

Raise your expectations people.  This team already has shown that it can achieve national status and become a big time program.  If there is a weakness holding us back from achieving that it's ok to hold people accountable and their feet to the fire to get us there.  The expectations of what this team could be were raised by the University and the team itself when Leavitt said way back when that he envisions us playing for National Titles and championships.  That opportunity has been given to us by entering the BE conference.  Don't say that you are happy with mediocrity because the team sure as hell is not.

Excellent Post

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Excellent Post

I second that.......excellent post.

• Content Count:  1,238

Lets think way back to early August before we played a game would you have called the season a disappointment if we had 3 losses in the first 9 games?

Elon

Auburn

UNC

WVU

FAU

UCF

Rutgers

Uconn

Cincinatti

I dont think too many people would have though it the end of the world then, so why do so many now?   I think too many people drank too much of the national title kool aid when we really didnt look like a top contender since our offense struggled every game but against FAU and UCF.  It's not the end of the world boys and girls and its not over yet.  We run the table out including the bowl and we still go 10-3 which most would have been very happy with a few months ago.   This is still a good team and this season can still be a success and a step forward. 

Scars are still fresh right now but if you check the vibe on this board when the season has ended and the next 3 games are won, you will find a different atmosphere here. No one can say that they expected many things, such as 2 sell outs, ranked in the top 25, beating Auburn at Auburn (WOW!) and how many will forget WVU (**** in my pants  :D).

By the way, I left being ranked # 2 out on purpose because anyone who would have predicted that before the season's start would have been locked up in some secret experimental lab for the government.

• Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Also, when you say to "raise youe expectations", I think,  that's the reason for the dissapointment. 

Had we not gone to 6-0 and shot up the rankings so fast, the feelings now wouldn't be as low.

At 6-0, and just played two of the best games in our history, our expectations went thru the roof.

Did I think 9-3 would be a good mark? Yes, before 6-0.  Now it's a bit of a let down.

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

Elon

Auburn

UNC

WVU

FAU

UCF

Rutgers

Uconn

Cincinatti

I dont think too many people would have though it the end of the world then, so why do so many now?   I think too many people drank too much of the national title kool aid when we really didnt look like a top contender since our offense struggled every game but against FAU and UCF.  It's not the end of the world boys and girls and its not over yet.  We run the table out including the bowl and we still go 10-3 which most would have been very happy with a few months ago.   This is still a good team and this season can still be a success and a step forward. 

1-3 in big east is disappointing any way you look at it

we should have been contending for big east

usf isnt going to run the table

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

great post

• Content Count:  1,812

Raise expectations is fine

Unrealistic expectations is the problem. Funny how this team shot up the rankings because others failed and because they got some lucky breaks and sloppy play form other teams. It seemed to me the "new" fans were screaming NC game the loudest. That is not very realistic and would have been totally unprecendeted for a team in a BCs conference with 2 and 3 star players to play for the title in their 11th year. That is why the back lash form the media and fans of more established programs. It is insanely difficult in this day and age to go undefeated in a BCS conference; many have failed already this year.

What it did remind me of is when the storm postponed our WVU game and suddenly we had a shot at the BE title in many peoples eyes. A loss to Uconn was happened and it was blamed as costing us the a crack at the BE title. Never mind the fact that we had Julmiste at QB and had we played WVU when we were supposed to the outcome would have been the same more than likely.

To each his own but there is a major difference between wanting a team to win the NC every year and expecting them to. If you expect them to do it every year than you are in for some real disappointment down the road.

Archived