• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SLEPT SINCE THE GAME!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Days Won:  0

This will make you mad!!!

I'm sure de does not represent the majority of the press, at least I hope note.  He is likely trying to get a reaction.   

• Content Count:  1,013

Scarlet Knights expose truth about overrated Bulls 

Oct. 19, 2007

By Mike Freeman

CBSSports.com National Columnist

Tell Mike your opinion!

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- If South Florida was the second best team in the country then Erin Andrews is ugly.

Not since Bode Miller had we seen this level of overrating, unwarranted media worshipping and a faux Cinderella story as we did during the brief love affair with South Florida.

Greg Schiano out-coaches South Florida's Jim Leavitt. (US Presswire)   

Rutgers 30 South Florida 27. The BCS: Punk'd yet again.

After the game, thousands of fans rushed onto Rutgers Field, dancing and screaming, producing a beautiful haze of red and white. They sang along to a horrid Bon Jovi song and celebrated with the Rutgers players. They were understandably excited but truthfully this was no historic upset.

Instead, this was a classic undressing of a press creation and the continuation of a college football season that lacks competence and greatness. The constant toppling of top-ranked teams does not translate into exciting; it means there aren't many teams worth a **** in the first place.

This season South Florida simply did what it was supposed to: Take advantage of superpower disintegration and the media's desire to kiss the bum of an underdog. Eventually the Bulls were bound to be exposed. This was the night they finally were.

Let's be blunt. If it weren't for the Rutgers special teams giving up a blocked field goal and two muffed punts, the Scarlet Knights might have won by 20.

Ray Rice rushed for 189 yards on 39 carries. He's still running. By now he's somewhere near Orlando. He totally embarrassed the Bulls as they were pushed and shoved all over the field.

The alleged second-ranked team committed 10 penalties, gave up big plays, allowed seven sacks, missed key tackles and their coach, Jim Leavitt, tossed his headgear and hat in an immature sideline temper tantrum that would have frightened Bobby Knight.

One of the big problems for the Bulls was that Leavitt was totally out-coached -- and I mean thoroughly -- by Rutgers' Greg Schiano. It was as if Leavitt had been kidnapped and replaced by Rich Kotite.

Schiano ran not one but two fake kicks against Leavitt. The initial one was a fake punt for a first down and the second was a fake field goal resulting in a 15-yard touchdown pass that gave Rutgers a 27-17 lead late in the third quarter.

Being faked once happens to all teams. But two in a single game? That's an abomination.

"We try to stick to the nuts and bolts but when there's an opportunity, we take advantage," Schiano said of Rutgers totaled 400 yards of offense and though South Florida's Matt Grothe might be one of the fastest quarterbacks in Division I, he only threw for one touchdown thanks to the sticky coverage and out-stretched mitts of Scarlet Knight defensive backs.

Advertisement   

',300,250,-226757,411545,'1','222',-1,-1,'');}else{setTimeout('if(document.pradiC91BE1EDEF1046E6917D9CCC96D7A5CB){document.pradiC91BE1EDEF1046E6917D9CCC96D7A5CB.onload()}',200);}">

"All night they played incredibly hard," Schiano said of his defense

The coach who continues to amaze despite some ups and downs in his program and the occasional bad behavior by his players is the redoubtable Schiano. Last year, his Rutgers team beat down third-ranked Louisville and now he dethrones No. 2.

All Schiano does is take this program to escalating heights every year. In a new atmosphere where it seems good college coaches are more difficult to find, he might be one of the top five coaches in the nation.

What's certain is that South Florida is no longer top five.

Not that they deserved to be in the first place.

Intersting comments from fans from all over in the comments section.

• Content Count:  1,261

I sent him a message and told him to go **** himself..

• Content Count:  64

I like the media hype. No such thing as bad publicity…right. At least people know about us.

I actually believe that deserved to be #1 last week based on the fact that we had the best record in the nation. With two quality wins and a no losses, we should have been #1. The media has brainwashed us (or has been brainwashed…I am not sure which came first) to associate the top ranking with the best historic program. That is why there is so much controversy. How can an 11year program be better than the power houses that have dominated for years? What they forget is that on that day we had the best record.

As far as this A-hole…he is just another writer trying to say something that will get some attention.

Go BULLS. Beat UCON

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

lol.  yeah, if not for a called back TD, USF goes into the half up 24-10... a total THRASHING by Rutgers!!!

and Rice, for all his running, had a grand total of ZERO touchdowns and sucked ostrich eggs in the redzone.  mighty embarassing for USF!!

• Content Count:  5,241

just another dumbass who cant get a job at a newspaper and has to write online articles at cbs

• Content Count:  385

Dude is from New Jersey. I wrote him some pretty nasty feedback. And I recommend USF Nation lets him hear about his trash article.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

on a positive note, most of the comments from fans are fairly pro-USF

Archived