• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SLEPT SINCE THE GAME!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Guys like this had two articles ready to go Friday morning:

If USF loses, run the USF was overrated article.

If USF wins, run the Big East is overrated so USF can't be very good article.

C'est la vie. 

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

We didn't bring our A game and still had a shot to win at the end, the team needs to learn from the game and kill UConn next week.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

one of the comments summarized it pretty well.........

Instant replay call cost USF the game Score: 80 -

JBagboy

Level: All-Star

Since: Dec 10, 2006

Want to Add to Favorites?

Sign in

October 20, 2007 8:38 am

I am usually not one to use Refs or Replays as an excuse, but anyone that watched that game has to agree that the combination of Refs/Replays/and Rutgers was too much for the Bulls to overcome.  First of all, Rutgers is a good team and ANY TEAM, regardless of ranking,  that loses to them in NJ should not be labeled "overrated".  They outran, outcoached, and ultimately outscore USF.

However, the refs were horrible and had a huge effect on the outcome of the game.  Something was amiss when they called Hester for "unsportsmanlike conduct" after catching a 2nd quarter TD.

Even the CBS Glogger David Gonos said "Hester's celebration was relatively mild, to be honest with you, and Leavitt is NOT happy with that penalty. He's completely justified in my opinion. All Hester did was do a shushing motion to the Rutgers crowd after making the touchdown catch and run. THAT's over-celebrating? Come on. Give me a break. Then the referee stares Hester down. Don't make this game about you, ref."

And then, coincidentally, in the same quarter the refs reverse a USF TD on a blocked fieldgoal attempt.  Mind you, it was ruled a TD on the field.  So only undisputable evidence should overrule the call on the field.  Admittedly, upon first glance it did appear the ball was batted or advanced forward.  But anyone who watched the replays saw that both USF players were making an honest attempt to gain control of the ball and any advancement by the ball was inadvertant.  Once again, CBS Glogger David Gonos said "To be honest, the replay show that the ball was NOT purposely hit forward, as it bounced out of his hands on a big hit from behind."  However, the refs, after obviously watching something other than the replay, decided to reversed the TD and throw a flag. Everyone wittnessed history being made....first flag ever thrown 5 minutes after a play was over and first flag ever thrown after a video review.

And then for the grand finale. In the 4th quarter, despite all of the world against them, USF still had a chance with a minute left.  After some really good defense by Rutgers, USF faced 3rd and 22 when Grothe found WR Amarri Jackson down the right sideline for a 32-yard gain.  First down in tying FG range...with a minute left a TD not impossible. However, once again the refs come to the rescue for Rutgers and the rest of the BCS nation and called Jackson for offensive pass interference.  However, it was very clear that the Rutgers defender was out of position and his momentum was carrying him well away from the play.  The only contact was the common "feeling"  that goes on between a DB and a WR ALL THE TIME.  Put the flag away unless something is completely unignorable or blatant.  Especially with a Big East  and National Championship ramifications on the line. 

A minute later the game ended.....Final Score Refs/Replay/Rutgers 30 USF 27.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1.    Publicity is good, and this year we are getting it. 

2.    What we have accomplished this year means people are no longer saying USF Who?

3.    This guy is just an A-Hole.

4.    I love our team and coaching staff, so anything those schmucks say about USF means nothing.

5.    In other words.........

GO BULLS!!!!

• Content Count:  218
  • Days Won:  0

Dude is from New Jersey. I wrote him some pretty nasty feedback. And I recommend USF Nation lets him hear about his trash article.

USF nation?  LOL... ya all 7 of you.

• Content Count:  959

Dude is from New Jersey. I wrote him some pretty nasty feedback. And I recommend USF Nation lets him hear about his trash article.

stalker....dont worry you will probably be ranked ahead of us now and you can go back to your couch burning ways

• Content Count:  1,261

good one.

• Content Count:  743

After getting a touchdown called back, losing our best receiver and a senior tackle we still have a shot at the end against a legit team in their hometown. Against all odds the game was still in our hands. We got so exposed...

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

WVU fan, please dont bother us until you actually beat USF again. I personally dont see WVU ever beating USF in a long time with that gimmick offense that Coach Rod runs.  WVU was lucky to beat USF during the first meeting because we didnt have an offense worth a **** then. Sure, your gimmick offense works on other teams but it will never work against USF.

Archived