• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Such a crazy season.... could the national champion have 2 losses???

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Well, after this season, and hopefully a few more good ones, USF will be considered part of that crowd, I think. How long did it take FSU and Miami having a good football team before they were let into the "good ole boys club?" The memory of the general consciousness usually doesn't last beyond a few years (look at politics if you need an example). If we have several good seasons in a row, we'll become a team that is considered worthy of an NC bid year after year. As well as preseaon top-25 material, year after year.

At least, that's my hope.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Makes you sick doesn't it? I know it makes me sick.

of course it does... which is why the way we lost Thursday really burns me.  i can live with our own mistakes... but to watch it flush down the toilet the way it did is unpalatable. 

:flush

FWIW: The guys on GameDay predicted USF will only drop to 9 or 10 in the BCS after the loss... which means USF isn't really as far out of it as you guys are thinking.

Sure, we drop behind some other 1-loss teams, but that is because our loss is more recent than theirs...

Michigan is a "big name" and they were dropped like a rock... USC lost to Stanford and is outside the Top 10.  I think you guys are blowing it out of proportion.

well our NC hopes aren't completely impossible...  to paraphrase Marc Bloch, "it is not impossible, but the probability is infinitely small." (sorry i'm a history major)

which isn't really the point i guess.  it's just kind of weak that we won't be given the same consideration as other 1-loss teams, despite having as tough a schedule as Oklahoma or USC or OSU (if they lose one), simply because we are USF and not [insert traditional powerhouse here].

also, USC lost to Stanford--- the Pac-10 bottom feeder that hasn't been ranked in over half a decade.  Michigan lost to D1AA App State.

we lost to Rutgers, who has been ranked for the majority of the season, peaking at 10.

yet if USC wins out and we win out, who do u think would get the nod?

• Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

A playoff system between the 6 BCS conference champions and 2 wild cards would solve some of that problem.

except the two wild cards would most likely be also traditional schools that have a huge advantage over smaller programs

A playoff system between the 6 BCS conference champions and 2 wild cards would solve some of that problem.

except the two wild cards would most likely be also traditional schools that have a huge advantage over smaller programs

two highest ranked teams in a BCS-type computer system that are not conference champions.

• Content Count:  509

there already is a playoff system in place!! It runs from September to November!  It's called the college football regular season.  That's what makes college football so great.  Every game matters!  Every game is a playoff game.  This isn't pro sports where a couple losses won't hurt.  Every game is intense.  Every game should have a playoff atmosphere!

• Content Count:  12,293

no way that all 4 of those pac-10 teams (USC, Cal, Oregon, ASU) have 2 losses.  1 of those teams will put out in front of the others in that conference

• Content Count:  92

a playoff system between the 6 BCS conference champions and 2 wild cards would solve some of that problem.

I have always thought that a playoff incorporating the BCS could be easily done with 16 teams (11 conference champions and 5 wild cards).  Seeds 1-11 would be the conference champions and could be determined by the BCS standings.  Seeds 1-8 could then host home games to numbers 9-16 for the first round.  The final 5 seeds would then be determined by the BCS standings, with no more than two teams besides the champion from one conference being selected.

From the quarterfinals until the NC game (which could be very easily placed during the Super Bowl off week), the traditional bowls would then be able to host games on a rotational basis with traditional match-ups being favored (i.e. the Rose Bowl could pick a Pac-10/Big Ten maatch-up if the seedings allowed).

My personal system would do wonders for college football and create so much excitement while also reducing the pressure on student athletes.  Teams such as UCF and FAU would obviously benefit not only from the exposure of the school and program, but also from a recruiting standpoint because they can say that they are competing to get into the national championship picture every season.  Big teams such as UF and OU could benefit because the TV rights and the gate figures from an additional playoff home game would be staggering.  Conferences such as the SEC could also benefit since they could legitimately claim that they have 3 teams in the national title picture.  Of course, they fans would also benefit due to the fact that we get extra college football.

The other "minor" bowls can still have great games that take place during the week since many ranked and traditional teams would be left out of the playoff picture.

Will this ever happen? No

Does my plan have flaws? Probably

But I think it would be a great start that would do wonders for the college game.

there already is a playoff system in place!! It runs from September to November!  It's called the college football regular season.  That's what makes college football so great.  Every game matters!  Every game is a playoff game.  This isn't pro sports where a couple losses won't hurt.  Every game is intense.  Every game should have a playoff atmosphere!

thanks for reading the entire thread, champ.

Archived