• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If no media member asks CJL hiring about a ST coach . . . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I'll puke. Special teams are horrendous and have been. To avoid a question like that would show a lack of journalistic integrity or an abundance of cowardice. Either that or I just want someone to ask the question and I'm afraid to . . . . .

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

not really in the budget.  leavitt made a stand early on that he would rather take that salary that a ST coach would get and split it up among the other assistants. 

maybe a few years down the road we will get one but just by having a special teams coach doesnt mean special teams problems go away.  look at how many programs have one?  they stil have problems.

but seriously, how many programs do actually have a coach that is only responsible for special teams?  i bet there isnt as much as you think.  this isnt the NFL

• Content Count:  1,261

this has been debated millions of times. not only is it 'not in the budget', but our coaching staff is maxed out.

who do you let go? Greg Gregory?

actually...

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I think there is a NCAA limit on the number of coaches a team can have. That's why you don't see a lot of ST coaches. I don't think it has to do with money.

• Content Count:  743

Isn't CJL originally a ST coach or am I making that up? I think the guys I know from the team told me but I could be completely wrong.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

His first high level college work was with linebackers.  He did work with special teams in the past, though, I think.  From what I understand, special teams is CJL's baby.  Part of the reason why a lot of those times he was really mad were special teams play.  He's probably not had a great day today.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I think there is a NCAA limit on the number of coaches a team can have. That's why you don't see a lot of ST coaches. I don't think it has to do with money.

This is such a foolish attitude (not your post, but the philosophy behind it).  Special teams is so important and is often the turning point for the game (see Thurs).

• Content Count:  143

CJL is the only ST coach.  As a former player, there is no really 'coaching' involved.  We just practiced kick offs/punting 30 minutes prior to practice and during practice, we were part of the scout team and did nothing rest of practice.  Granted that was 9 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.  This is just from my person experience.

Archived