• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If no media member asks CJL hiring about a ST coach . . . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  0

CJL is the only ST coach.  As a former player, there is no really 'coaching' involved.  We just practiced kick offs/punting 30 minutes prior to practice and during practice, we were part of the scout team and did nothing rest of practice.  Granted that was 9 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.  This is just from my person experience.

From what my friends have told me thats not the case at all anymore. That being said... whatever they are doing... it isn't enough.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  0

I think there is a NCAA limit on the number of coaches a team can have. That's why you don't see a lot of ST coaches. I don't think it has to do with money.

This is such a foolish attitude (not your post, but the philosophy behind it).  Special teams is so important and is often the turning point for the game (see Thurs).

or see "Beamer Ball"

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

"show a lack of journalistic integrity or an abundance of cowardice."

Minotaur, how about just an excess of ignorance? it's been asked and answered, multiple times. It'll be asked again, and it'll likely get the same answer. It's not a payroll issue. NCAA caps any staff at nine full-time assistants; to add special teams, Leavitt would have to condense two positional roles on his staff, like combining corners and safeties or moving tight ends in with another position. Or he could just add special teams to someone's existing responsibilities. Leavitt puts a lot of his time and focus into special teams; if he thought he'd be helped by a full-time special-teams coach, he's had ample turnover in recent years to allow for the re-shuffling that would let him change up his staff.

No Big East coaching staff has an assistant devoted solely to special teams; USF and Syracuse are the only teams that don't identify a position coach as also handling special teams. Again, Leavitt handles it enough that he could attach that role to his own job title if he felt a need to.

Going back to buliding an abundance of cowardice now ...

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

"show a lack of journalistic integrity or an abundance of cowardice."

Going back to buliding an abundance of cowardice now ...

I think my own sarcasm and abundance of cowardice missed its mark . . . .

BTW: Its not ignorance on my part anyway i know the coaching staff limits and have addressed that before (see excess in secondary/safties coaches). I do not care if CJL spends ALL of his freaken time on special teams, its pathetic and if another coach performed as well they would be doing it for Butler in short order. Because he is the head coach I guess he is exempt from evaluation, my bad. Greg, you are doing a great job (really no sarcasm intended) and my post was just a way to get the question asked by someone he will not kill.

PS: If we had  a dedicated coach with skill in the kicking game wouldn't that help in recruiting a kicker worthy of a scholarship. ( I also know we have a K commitment for next year. ) Wouldn't that also allow CJL to focus his attention on the big picture and allow him to see his offense?

PPS: WHY IN THE HELL HAVE WE NEEDED A TE COACH SINCE TREVOR HYPOLITE GRADUATED?

For Mike G's original post now delete

what it looks like to me is that you are blaming the loss on CJL and his special teams coaching. You want him to answer for his inability to make every bounce go our way in this area. My take is that the two fakes were flawlessly executed-- how can they defend them any better or anticipate them to give the proper defensive attack at them? I'd say that overall, we were about even in the special teams category in terms of overall effectiveness. They fumbled away punts two times, we blocked a field goal (and returned it for a TD that got called back), and did a decent job covering on kicks. Not perfect but neither was Rutgers. That game was lost in our inability to stop Ray Rice-- period. That and one long pass play that resulted in a TD. Everything else was pretty much a good effort.

Don't play games-- we know why you want someone to ask this question. You want to tell coach leavitt he doesn't know how to coach special teams worth a dayum. Of course-- you don't talk about the times when special teams is kicking butt. Only when we have a game where you think you can needle CJL on this point do you bring it up. I've been to practice-- CJL works his butt off with the guys preparing the special team units. We finally have a punter (Alvarado) who can actually boom a punt again for a change. Our kickoff guy (Teachey) puts almost every kick into the end zone. Is the kick coverage always spot on? Hell no-- who can say theirs always is? People make plays against you and basically CJL does a heck of a job getting those squads ready. You probably give him little to no credit for sticking with Alvarado in the Auburn game in the face of all that adversity. Since that time, he has been making almost every kick. Sure I wish he had made the two that didn't get made (one blocked-- snap was a bit high imo)-- but how can you say he hasn't been very reliable since that Auburn game?

Look-- I know people like to try to help a team figure out where things cna be improved. Of course the special teams can always be improved. Is designating a different position coach really going to change ANYTHING in this area? I just don't see it happening. All areas of the team need continual improvement-- and to detract from the main areas of offense and defense seems incorrect when we have our head coach out there making this one of his main tasks beyond running the team. It's one loss-- and it was a team effort. Don't put this all on the special teams.

d

I cannot remember when the last time our special teams kicked butt . . . I think it was the first time we played FAU.

We had a great return in the Auburn game and then Murphy  was immediately banished from return duties I guess as a punishment. I really think we need a change in this area and you are right I want someone to tell him that he is not doing a great job on special teams. I am a-scared to do it, but I guarantee you the next time I see him I will.

I'll post pics of the wounds - I cannot fight back because I have a man crush on him and have for 7 years. (see: The Jim origin)

I wish I had your positive outlook. You are truly a great fan and I aspire to be more like you. (again no sarcasm intended)

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I think there is a NCAA limit on the number of coaches a team can have. That's why you don't see a lot of ST coaches. I don't think it has to do with money.

This is such a foolish attitude (not your post, but the philosophy behind it).  Special teams is so important and is often the turning point for the game (see Thurs).

I agree and I think it a a very important part of the game. I think maybe we can do without a TEs coach. Considering we never use a TE. It would be like us having a FB coach. Maybe the receivers coach can take that role over. ST is 1/3 of the game. It's such a crucial part.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

this subject is getting way overblown

we've had our share of positives and negatives every game. All teams do-- some better than others. How is moving the role to another coach on the staff going to change the basics of special teams really?

I don't get it. I'm way more concerned about filling in our holes at WR (TJ) and OL (Walter Walker) than this stuff. SOmeone analyse this games special teams plays and give us a synopsis.

PS-- as for Murphy-- he had been returning kicks all year. He did not play in the first half as punishment for missing a team meeting (family thing or something-- he's from Jersey).

• Content Count:  2,495

I'd like to see Leavitt coach a little more aggressively.  Have we ever attempted a fake field goal?  In 11 years of watching Bulls football I can't remember one game where we did.

I think CJL is a little too conservative.  He always plays for the field goal or punts when we are in the opponents 35-45 yard "no man's land" area.  We either end up missing a long field goal or punt the ball into the end zone for a 20 yard net punt.  When its 3rd and 5 from the opponents 38 yard line I wish CJL would tell Gregory that we are going for it on 4th down so you have two plays to get 5 yards.  I think it would give us a chance to run the ball a couple of times and move the chains.  

Spurrier never punts the ball on the opponent’s side of the field.  It is either a FG or going for it on 4th down. Not that we want CJL to be like that guy, I'm just saying......

There is nothing in my memory (any time past  Kawikas fake punt TD against NIU) tricky or special about special teams CC. We are trying to keep our heads above water not trying to win a gold medal. The reason Schiano went for TWO fakes is that he saw tendencies on tape that made him believe these plays were open. They were, he is a great coach, ok. I guess no opponent in the last 5 years has been open to those plays, ok I guess. Again I am not looking for stellar, I am looking for anything above the +/- line.

Special teams #1 Goal: DO NOT BRING USF DOWN.

Archived