• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If no media member asks CJL hiring about a ST coach . . . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

"show a lack of journalistic integrity or an abundance of cowardice."

Minotaur, how about just an excess of ignorance? it's been asked and answered, multiple times. It'll be asked again, and it'll likely get the same answer. It's not a payroll issue. NCAA caps any staff at nine full-time assistants; to add special teams, Leavitt would have to condense two positional roles on his staff, like combining corners and safeties or moving tight ends in with another position. Or he could just add special teams to someone's existing responsibilities. Leavitt puts a lot of his time and focus into special teams; if he thought he'd be helped by a full-time special-teams coach, he's had ample turnover in recent years to allow for the re-shuffling that would let him change up his staff.

No Big East coaching staff has an assistant devoted solely to special teams; USF and Syracuse are the only teams that don't identify a position coach as also handling special teams. Again, Leavitt handles it enough that he could attach that role to his own job title if he felt a need to.

Going back to buliding an abundance of cowardice now ...

several one-liners come to mind after Greg's smackdown:

Rimshot!

Schwing!

Boo-Yeah!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,511

... see "Beamer Ball"

Bear in mind, Virginia Tech does not have a special teams coach either...

Technically no, but special teams is Frank Beamer's forte.

The fake FG was read perfectly.  The hard part is there were TWO possible receivers.  Most people didn't see Nate Allen jump the second one... Murphy was fronting the TE who caught the ball, and Moffitt tried to get to him but took a bad angle.

That wasn't coaching, that was execution... and they ALMOST got it right.

I don't know if they noticed it on tape.  My thinking is they saw it during the game, USF almost blocked most of Ito's FGs (and blocked one).  I am willing to bet they saw USF's FG team as being fairly aggressive and could take them by surprise.

The fake punt may be coaching.  The Bull on that play was Tyller Roberts... he didn't bump the reciver off the line.  Never touched him.  If Roberts had engaged off the line, at least bumping him, the timing of that pass would have been off ... or Roberts might have been in a position to defend the pass.

That was executed well by Ito.  And I am willing to be Schiano saw that on film.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

But Schiano went into his bag of tricks to produce 10 points that was just enough cushion to ensure the victory. The two trick pass plays used by Rutgers were thrown by their punter and a walk-on backup quarterback. Both had previously never thrown a pass in college.

"We don't like to do those kinds of things here at Rutgers, that's not what we are about," Schiano said. "But I saw some things where I thought we could get away with it. Fortunately for us, it worked out. But you never know how those things are going to turn out."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071020/SPORTS/710200381

"I didn't think that was [necessary to beat South Florida]," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said Friday evening, his voice still strained from a frenzied night.

"I felt the reason [Rutgers ran gimmicks] was we had practiced these plays for a while now and they just fit against this opponent. Without going into too much schematic stuff, it just fit."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcyMTAyMTQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

• Content Count:  2,363

So if we don't have a special teams coach, who's teaching ingeniusly dastardly maneuvers like intentional forward fumbles that lead to touchdowns? ::)

Archived