• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"1st down, Grothe under center, give to Ford, 5 yds"

MJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

I would be just fine if I never saw that futile draw play ever again.  IT HASN'T WORKED ALL SEASON!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,022
  • Days Won:  38

I would be just fine if I never saw that futile draw play ever again.  IT HASN'T WORKED ALL SEASON!

Nah it's all about that draw play to Williams on 2nd and 10.  3rd and 11 is a great place to be in.

• Content Count:  416

All I can think of is Ford must be bad at picking up the pass rush and blocking and they feel that putting him in makes it clear they're going to run whereas williams they can run or pass with. That's my theory as the fumble thing just doesn't seem to be good enough when they're giving him the goal line carries. But we do need to make teams respect our running backs more as right now they just need to keep an eye on groethe.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I went back and watched the 3rd and 4th quarters on Tivo.  I think Grothe was just flat out confused by where and when the blitrz was coming.  Gregory too.  This is why I think he was outcoached. 

For a while Grothe was doing what was necessary to beat the blitz.  Quick short passes to Mitchell.  The to Amarri on an inside slant.  Then he threw to the receiver that was left open on the Corner blitz.  He seemed to get into trouble on the last couple of drives when he was thowing down field and needed time for the plays to develop.  I don't understand why we had to comntinue to throw down the field when we were successful with the short stuff.  Especially on the last two drives when we simply needed about  10 to 15 yards for a shot to go to overtime at worst.  We have never lost in OT so you have to like our chances.

Oh well.  They played well, just lost.  We are good and still young.  We aren't going away.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I agree with you guys. The reason we lost this game was our offensive gameplan. Why do we even  have a fullback on the roster? Why can't we go "big" and line up in the I formation with Ford deep and our freshman fullback? Their defensive line was small. That's how you attack a small defense. Keep Ray Rice off the field and burn the clock. Use the spread offense against big and slow defenses. Use the power offense against small but quick defenses. It's not rocket science.

• Content Count:  743

The only thing I can think is something is going on behind the scenes but why would he be allowed to play at all?

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe he doesn't work hard enough in practice? Mouths off? Doesn't know the offense well enough or doesn't block the pass well? I'm just speculating but there has to be something we don't know. He has the biggest upside of any back we have on the roster.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All I can think of is Ford must be bad at picking up the pass rush and blocking and they feel that putting him in makes it clear they're going to run whereas williams they can run or pass with. That's my theory as the fumble thing just doesn't seem to be good enough when they're giving him the goal line carries. But we do need to make teams respect our running backs more as right now they just need to keep an eye on groethe.

Then use Ford on 1st and 2nd down.  Put Ben in their on third down (he is after all a 3rd down back - not a feature back).

Until they (the offensive staff) decide we will run the ball with someone other than Grothe (and supposedly we have the talent to do that), this is just the same offense I saw last year.  That is not good enough.  Even the little lady knows we can't run him (Grothe) all game.

• Content Count:  416

Then use Ford on 1st and 2nd down.  Put Ben in their on third down (he is after all a 3rd down back - not a feature back).

Until they (the offensive staff) decide we will run the ball with someone other than Grothe (and supposedly we have the talent to do that), this is just the same offense I saw last year.  That is not good enough.  Even the little lady knows we can't run him (Grothe) all game.

Makes sense to me.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

That's a radio call we need to hear a lot more of. I know they don't do it much, but every time they do it's 4-5 yards. Rutgers certainly enjoyed getting 5 yards a pop from Rice. I just think Grothe in shotgun every play makes us too one-dimensional. Pounding the ball at least occasionally with a big boy like Ford will only make Grothe that much more effective on passes and QB runs via play-action.

that is usf's offense

your complaints are one of criticisms with our offense but wv seems to run the  ball well except against usf

rutgers set the bluprint for beating usf and controlling grothe

Archived