• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Ford

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Ford runs too tall and carries the ball too low.

but he is only a freshman and was out of football for over a year before coming to USF.

some coaching on technique and upper body strength training will help with his ball protection.

the biggest concern, as someone already mentioned, is cousin Amarri's graduation and the implications on Ford staying focused and going to class...  the kid has all the tools and natural talent to be a star and play at the next level.  he just needs to stay focused and pay his dues now in order to get there.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

He'll definitley be seeing the ball more in the 2nd half of the season.

Ford's just working out the kinks, he's gonna be a stud.

• Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

He drops the rock therefore he doesn't get many carries.

Well Grothe fumbled the ball a few times this year.  I guess we shouldn't let him run the ball either?  I hope not because he might be our whole running game against the ankle-twisters.  Speaking of which, I hope that doesn't happen to Grothe or our season is screwed.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He has tremendous potential, obviously.  

However, he needs to stop dropping the ball.

Also, am I the only one who thinks he does not always power through the line like a back his size should.  I have seen too many plays where he runs hard to the line, not through it.  His big gains are bouncing to the outside, specifically right side.  He does not keep the legs moving on contact at the line and he has not consistently moved the pile.  Part of that is rust from not playing for two years.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't think that Gregory=Grothe, but he has looked pretty good when he has been in this year. With our stable of running backs, and defense, I wouldn't throw in the towel if Grothe goes down. It will definately be a blow, but we are playing as a team, maybe the first time in history.

Two years ago it was all Hall, last year, all Grothe. Everyone is stepping up now, that's why we are here.

As for Ford, he just needs to get in a rythm. Never dropped the ball once at Auburn, and he had a lot of carries in that one. He is going to be a stud. With the potential for this team, if he can't stay focused without Amarri next year, I say send him packing. I am not saying that he will lose focus, just that if you can't get excited about playing for this team, you are likely a lost cause anyway. I think he has learned his lesson, and is going to be a key contributer for the next few years.

Leavitt is probably trying to keep him off the field so the NFL scouts don't get too excited yet. We need him at least 2 more years.

I just hate to see people dogging him out especially after his TDs in the Elon game (thank god), and his help in the Auburn game.

I just hate to see people dogging him out especially after his TDs in the Elon game (thank god), and his help in the Auburn game.

The only ones "dogging him" are those who thought he would come in and be Adrian Peterson right away.  The rest are concerned about fumbles and running style.  The reality of football is that RBs who fumble ride the pine, but QBs have more leeway with turnovers.  Always has been.

The only ones "dogging him" are those who thought he would come in and be Adrian Peterson right away.  The rest are concerned about fumbles and running style.  The reality of football is that RBs who fumble ride the pine, but QBs have more leeway with turnovers.  Always has been.

I am not an expert by any stretch but I do watch a lot of football.  I just thought it was cool how he was able to produce right away.  I thought, wow this guy is going to get even better?  I was thinking of him as a freshman RB.  He came in and had an immediate impact on the team just like Grothe did when he was a freshman.

Obviously turning the ball over is the worst thing you can do in a big game so if he has to sit then so be it...  I was just hoping he would get more experience in the UCF game unless he was going to be used heavily in the Rutgers game.

Rocky, I too was impressed at the # of carries he got, several quality ones too, that he got at Auburn.  I think Mike is playing up or down to the competition right now.  Not unusual for a freshman.  However, our staff, like most, stress that the RBs must not turn the ball over and must know the blocking schemes for blitz pickup.  Ben Williams has these down already which is why in a tight spot the staff would go with Williams.  I will admit though that Ford seems to get the most goalline carries so the staff must have some faith in him.

Archived