• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Case the Rivalry Wasnt Enough Motivation..... A Win Here.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

As someone mentioned before, its a total trap game.

-If we win its no big deal.  Someone said it will keep our position in the polls.  Yes, but a win over any team would do that.  So the fact that it is UCF has bearing on that.

-If we lose, it would be horrible obviously.  The big problem is that is UCF will give us their best shot and the game will be much tougher than against another team ranked in a similar position as them.

I kind of think of like the way WVU probably viewed us the last two years.  They had little to gain by beating us and so much to lose...and the problem for them was that we were going to throw the kitchen sink at them for the win.  We all know what happened there.  Of course the major distinction is that we won those games, but the reality is that UCF CAN beat us just like we beat WVU. 

A rivalry game really needs more upside if you win.  Like the Texas/OU rivaly....if you win its huge.  If we win, big deal...we get to gloat over UCF fans....do we really even care about that at this point? 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

UCF considers it a rivalry because they need to cling to that idea that they're just as good as USF. Hell, they were clamoring for a game as soon as our team was approved by the Board of Regents. So basically they have two more chances to validate their existence.

• Content Count:  635

this isn't a rivalry game simply because you need TIME to have a rivalry. this is what, the 3rd year we've played each other? nothing worse than a forced rivalry, it never works out. if we want a rivalry with UCF, it's going to take a lot of years and lots of time playing each other to get anything going. well, anything substantial.

or, play several heated games with a LOT on the line in a short period of time, a la Miami and Florida in the 80's. that was  BIG rivalry, but the games were big, too.

but basically, just trying to create a natural rivalry is...well....unnatural. let it sort itself out.

• Content Count:  3,403

I think we should have the attitude that this IS a rivalry.  It gets us up for it even more. 

I dont think its a rivalry, but I'm new to this board and I didnt know the mood towards that argument. 

Now I know :)

Sound like you are from the Orlando area. They're the only ones that call this a rivalry. Miami will be a rivalry.

Why should Miami be a rivalry?  They lost to UNC and we beat UNC.  Miami has looked horrible this year.  They almost lost to Duke (which is comparable to FAU, granted).

Right now our rivals are UL and WVU.  We have some legit hate between us and WVU, and UL was a fellow C-USA team and the first top 10 win.

While the UCF game isn't a rivlary by any means, it is an emotional game.  Our team needs to continue to prove that we are superior.  Our proximity means a lot of the players know each other from HS, so I can see how the game is emotional for both sides.  However, as teams and fans, there is no reason for USF to consider UCF a rival.

• Content Count:  3,307

Us calling Miami a rival before we've played them is just as dumb as UCF calling us a rival. West Virginia, on the other hand, is quickly becoming a rival because of the competitiveness, the magnitude of the games we've played, and the sheer dislike of one another.

• Content Count:  73

Us calling Miami a rival before we've played them is just as dumb as UCF calling us a rival. West Virginia, on the other hand, is quickly becoming a rival because of the competitiveness, the magnitude of the games we've played, and the sheer dislike of one another.

We have not played Miami of Ohio, but we have played Miami...I remember it being a painful experience.

• Content Count:  958

We have no rival!

Our biggest rival is losing.  I hate losing more than anything.

• Content Count:  1,386

this isn't a rivalry game simply because you need TIME to have a rivalry. this is what, the 3rd year we've played each other? nothing worse than a forced rivalry, it never works out. if we want a rivalry with UCF, it's going to take a lot of years and lots of time playing each other to get anything going. well, anything substantial.

or, play several heated games with a LOT on the line in a short period of time, a la Miami and Florida in the 80's. that was  BIG rivalry, but the games were big, too.

but basically, just trying to create a natural rivalry is...well....unnatural. let it sort itself out.

USF has played the most (4 games) vs the following teams.

Southern Miss 1-3

Cincinnati 2-2 (5th this year)

Pitt 2-2 (5th this year)

Louisville 2-2 (5th this year)

Memphis 2-2

W. Kentucky 2-2

UConn 3-1 (5th this year)

ECU 4-0

Charleston Southern 4-0

Liberty 4-0

Since USF needs to FLIP two games with So Miss, does that make this USF's biggest rival? In C-USA it probably was, but I would say not now. Cincy, Pitt, Louisville and UConn are all conference foes, so they are automatically rivals, but only Louisville would be close to a RIVAL for now. Memphis and W. Kentucky? ECU, Charleston Southern and Liberty? Nope, no way.

USF has only played 3 games with WVa (2-1), but they seem ready to become a RIVAL. All three games were season changing for each team each time they played.

I say that some of you are in denial thinking that this is not a rivalry with UCF.  This is more of a big brother (USF) vs smaller brother (UCF) kind of rivalry in where USF is expected to win most of the time. So, UCF fans are using this as their Superbowl, and dont think that both teams are not going to be fired up for this game. This may not be a big rivalry, but I assure you that this is some kind of odd rivalry whether you like that or not. USF now has everything to lose while UCF has noting to lose but everything to gain this weekend. I call this the shut up game because USF has the chance to shut the UCF fans up once again like we did the past few years.

I agree with Bull Daly that UCF (2-0) is a weird kind of rival. There is the close proximity, players that know each other and 11 years of history of heated discussions of whose better. The last two years have calmed the debates, due to actions on the field by USF, but it will heat up again. All it will take is a win by UCF. Or the end of the series, where the fans will use CFB algebra again to determine who is the better team. Is it a preferred rivalry for some fans? No. But it is a weird rivalry that IMO will continue into the foreseeable future.

Kizarvexis

• Content Count:  1,457

It would be  nice to gain that 6th ( will be nice ) in front of several thousand UCF fans.  I'll bring my empty bowl and let if overflow with bids in a few more weeks.

• Content Count:  9,038

BIG EAST TITLE PLEASE!

Archived