• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An observation about USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

S. Bien-

Ya know, I had totally forgot about the short week before the Rutgers game.  I'd wager the people who have been saying USF will lose @ Rutgers are most likely looking at the short week.   It'll be very interesting to see that game, as I'm sure Rutgers will be going crazy, but I also agree with everybody, if USF's D stays hungry and the offense can gel a tad bit more, we should be okay.

If anything, it gives us, what, 9 days to prep for Uconn after that as well?

Rutgers will also be playing on a short week, and they'll be on the road for that one. So, I don't think it really will have that much bearing, especially if USF can put in their second string players early against UCF, like we did last time they were here.

Having said that, RU is STILL a 3 point favorite to beat USF according to Sportbook.com. They were 7.5 favorites before last weekend.

2007/2008 College Football Games of the Year

10-18-07 256 South Florida off +3.0(-110) off

8:00 PM   Rutgers off -3.0(-110) off 

The curious thing is that WVU is STILL a 5.5 point favorite to wn @RU the following week.

10-27-07 289 West Virginia off -5.5(-110) off

8:00 PM   Rutgers off +5.5(-110) off 

So, betting reality is that WVU is still a stronger team than USF, at least with respect to playing @Rutgers.

BTW, USF is now a 3 point favorite to beat UL at home. So, the perception of that game has changed from when UL was a 6.5 favorite at the beginning of the season.

11-17-07 367 Louisville off +3.0(-110) off

8:00 PM   South Florida off -3.0(-110) off 

All the Big East games will be difficult. All you need do is look at the SU game @UL, and nobody at USF will take anyone lightly.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

Rutgers plays Cincy next in Cincinnati, which will be tough especially since they are both ranked near each other.  If Rutgers is a paper tiger you will see it on fire that night.  

Playing at Rutgers will be tough no matter what they have a good crowd.

• Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

Why does everyone forget Cincy? Cincy plays Rutgers this week. Who ever loses between Rutgers and Cincy, drops out of the polls. If Rutgers loses, then the 11/03 game vs Cincy becomes the biggest BE game left for USF.

I'm worried about Cincy more than Rutgers. And about every other game, especially UCF, as trap games for USF.

Kizarvexis

• Content Count:  635

Why does everyone forget Cincy? Cincy plays Rutgers this week. Who ever loses between Rutgers and Cincy, drops out of the polls. If Rutgers loses, then the 11/03 game vs Cincy becomes the biggest BE game left for USF.

I'm worried about Cincy more than Rutgers. And about every other game, especially UCF, as trap games for USF.

Kizarvexis

yeah, every game is a trap when you're ranked 6th.

• Content Count:  1,777

I've been looking around and seeing what people are saying about USF, and it seems the general census is that USF will retain their #6 (or higher) ranking until the game @ Rutgers, at which point Rutgers will promptly obliterate USF into the next decade.  No real reason given, just that Rutgers will win, and then the next topic is brought up promptly so nobody has to explain the line of reasoning.

That said, the vibe I'm getting from fans and/or news publications is that these guys are almost praying USF loses to Rutgers, as a USF win over Rutgers solidifies USF are worthy of their #6 ranking and at that point in the season makes, by default, USF a national championship contender.   I'd go far as to say, I haven't seen anybody that thinks USF will win @ Rutgers that is not a fan/part of USF.

Was just curious if anybody else got that vibe.

Let me provide some context to your statement from ESPN.com.

" 9. South Florida. There's a loss waiting for the Bulls in Piscataway, N.J., on a Thursday night. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3045786

Do I agree with Pat Forde's statement?

No, I bullieve USF has just as much of a chance at winning this game as Rutgers, despite USF offensive woes.  The share fact that USF can go man to man with Rutgers WRs and stack the box means the Rutgers offense will have to work hard to score.  Now if USF's offense picks up the pace then I will really feel confident sitting in the stands in Piscataway, NJ that USF will win.

• Content Count:  5,691

I think this weekends game is in NJ and not cincy but I could be wrong.

Alson fwiw Forde is the one who guaranteed a win over wvu

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I've been looking around and seeing what people are saying about USF, and it seems the general census is that USF will retain their #6 (or higher) ranking until the game @ Rutgers, at which point Rutgers will promptly obliterate USF into the next decade.  No real reason given, just that Rutgers will win, and then the next topic is brought up promptly so nobody has to explain the line of reasoning.

That said, the vibe I'm getting from fans and/or news publications is that these guys are almost praying USF loses to Rutgers, as a USF win over Rutgers solidifies USF are worthy of their #6 ranking and at that point in the season makes, by default, USF a national championship contender.   I'd go far as to say, I haven't seen anybody that thinks USF will win @ Rutgers that is not a fan/part of USF.

Was just curious if anybody else got that vibe.

Let me provide some context to your statement from ESPN.com.

" 9. South Florida. There's a loss waiting for the Bulls in Piscataway, N.J., on a Thursday night. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3045786

Do I agree with Pat Forde's statement?

No, I bullieve USF has just as much of a chance at winning this game as Rutgers, despite USF offensive woes.  The share fact that USF can go man to man with Rutgers WRs and stack the box means the Rutgers offense will have to work hard to score.  Now if USF's offense picks up the pace then I will really feel confident sitting in the stands in Piscataway, NJ that USF will win.

I'm a bit surprised that Forde would say USF will lose @Rutgers, after he went so far out on a limb GUARANTEEING that USF would beat WVU. I figured, he would keep doubling up on USF throughout the season and look like a genius. LOL

• Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Who has Rutgers played so far?

No one.

Rutgers is and has been a paper tiger...

They will be less of a challenge than UCiF.

Yesssss I sooooo AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  1,985

I did hear on ESPN I think that one of the analysts did say we could run the table.  I honestly cannot remember who it was.  I was happy to hear Lou Holtz at half-time saying that it was not sloppy play saturday, it was hard nose basics, and the USF was winning the war of basic football.

I think that if we stay focused like we have been, the players work their assignments Rutgers will fall short.  We just shut down the fastest offense going.  

After all,

We are the HORNY U

Archived