• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where are you at athletics?...the Trib is promoting the "Green Out"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

Brett has now put in the Trib that "USF fans are encouraged to wear green" (see below). Why has athletic department not started to promote this? Send one of those nice emails that I always get about events to all of the season ticket holders. Lets go athletics, its time to "Go Green!!!"

BULLS

Students Band Together As WVU Awaits

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 24, 2007

TAMPA - When University of South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe sat down in his Human Sexualty class today he thought he might be in trouble.

His professor asked for all the football players to raise their hands.

"I was scared to death, I thought what did we do?'' Grothe said. ''Then she congratulated us and everybody went nuts, screaming and yelling. There were a lot of green wrist bands in class too."

Those green wrist bands have become a status symbol of sorts on the Fowler Avenue campus. Students need them and a ticket to get into Friday's nationally televised Big East contest between No. 18 USF (3-0) and No. 5 West Virginia (4-0).

"Everybody on campus pretty much has a wristband," said Lori Hussen, a sophomore from Miami. "I think it will be crazy."

Not surprisingly USF coach Jim Leavitt said he's expecting a huge challenge against West Virginia.

"We know they're outstanding," Leavitt said. "It'll be a real challenge Friday night."

Leavitt said the Bulls must contain WVU's explosive offense featuring quarterback Pat White and running backs Steve Slaton and Noel Devine.

"We knew [Devine] was one of the better players out there coming out of high school. He just gives them another good running back.

"You can't focus on any one guy back there because they're all good."

West Virginia is looking to avenge last year's 24-19 loss at Morgantown, but Coach Rich Rodriguez downplayed the so-called ''revenge factor.''

"It may be mentioned a little bit, but I'm not a guy that harps on the revenge factor," Rodriguez said. "When you're highly ranked you'll take [the other team's] best shot. Our guys know what they're up against.

"We understand it may be a sellout. It should be a fun atmosphere. To play a highly ranked team on the road is a challenge."

With the game expected to officially sell out Tuesday or Wednesday, USF senior associate AD Bill McGillis said the school had increased its student ticket allotment from 12,000 to 12,501.

The 12,501 figure gives USF the largest student allotment in the Big East Conference – one more than the 12,500 tickets allotted by West Virginia.

[glow=red,2,300]USF fans are encouraged to wear green. [/glow]

There will be a free pregame concert featuring Mims and the Shop Boys in the north parking lot outside from 5:45-7:15 p.m. Friday.

USF also learned next week's game against Florida Atlantic will be televised on ESPNU on Oct. 6 at 3:30 p.m.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,757

Big ad in today's St. Pete Times sports section... says wear green.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Athletics doesn't have my email address... so I don't know if this has been done.... But, how hard is it to send a e-mail to the season ticket holders?

Dear fan,

Wear green.

Thanks,

Athletics.

• Content Count:  1,981

Athletics doesn't have my email address... so I don't know if this has been done.... But, how hard is it to send a e-mail to the season ticket holders?

Dear fan,

Wear green.

Thanks,

Athletics.

And this is why I said that they are really slowwwwwwwww when it comes to suggestions.  Heck, the Pamplona concept (kids coming in out in white and red) was suggested about three years ago on this board. Again I KNOW that they work really hard but they should be on top of some of the stuff before we even suggest it.

• Content Count:  771

I am wearing green for the week.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The 12,501 figure gives USF the largest student allotment in the Big East Conference – one more than the 12,500 tickets allotted by West Virginia.

This is one-upsmanship by our athletic department... awesome!

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

This is one-upsmanship by our athletic department... awesome!

Terry, did I hear that you'll be in the section next to us for the WVU game?

• Content Count:  651

They promoted it a bit on the 97X morning show but I doubt  many college kids were up at 6am listening!! I think the word is being spread around fairly well!

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Um, where do you think the media got their information about the Green Out? Someone had to tell them about it... someone like the athletic department.

Archived